Stryker PowerPro stretchers

emtx22001

I don't understand how someone would become lazier then normal, you still have to clean it yourself, still have to load it, still have to move it, etc. They do help with those who can't lift as much, however I hope that people don't think that just because the cot will lift itself, that means that people who can't lift can do this job. There are still times when you'll need to move a patient in weighs that this cot won't help you.

I wonder how "water proof" it is.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it has nothing to due with laziness... chances are most have never used the the "old two man" stretcher.. does this mean the current medics are lazy ?..

If it prevent back injuries and injuries to patients .. I am all for it. One of the concerns is with the additional weight, does this impede lifting it up and down stairs etc.....?.. just curious ..

Be safe,

R/R 911

I pray that no modern EMT or Medic will have to suffer the trials of a two man. You think it's hard to hook on and wait for the wheels to come up?

Try bending over and lifting that 300lb patient from a distance of 6" off the ground, and then doing your best to wheel it into the catch located flush against the wall. Say your in the city, on even a slight hill, you load your 250lb DOA into the rig. You are doing all you can to keep the bed from rolling back out, then the arm falls down and you can't latch the cot.. Better be able to hold that cot by yourself. Because it'd kill you if it came out on top of you. I always carried a davis tourniquet in my pocket to tie hands together so we didn't run into that problem. But there are many stories about patients rolling off the deck, etc. If we couldn't get turned around, so that the front went down hill, I either loaded the patient on a folding stretcher, or we slid the pins out of the wheels so it couldn't roll. Lots of good medics and attendants lost their jobs because of back injuries, I've had surgery twice, and still have problems. :|

I am all for it. One of the concerns is with the additional weight, does this impede lifting it up and down stairs etc.....?.. just curious ..

Be safe,

R/R 911

Now we haven't lifted it up a flight of stairs (and don't intend too), although I've seen a few crews from other services do that. :roll: I know what you mean though, a few stairs (like to get into our front door) isn't bad. The weight is no different then having your gear on it. Now I was told by supply that someone (I don't know if it is Stryker) is making a "lift" that will slide out of the ambulance to support the cot so you can lift the wheels up, and then it slides back in (along with the cot) into the ambulance. Our owner is very big on preventing injuries because he feels that if give your employees the equipment they need, the equipment that will make the job easier, the equipment they want, then you'll have a safer, healthier, happier, and more efficient medic.

So now I have my powered cot, my defib platform I asked for, my oxygen tank holder I asked for, and now my charging base for my LP12, I just have to talk him into getting me a Caddy Escalade instead of this Ford Explorer for a squad. :|

• 1 month later...

We currently have the Stryker MX Pros at our service and are looking to purchase these. I found out thought, if you look at the Stryker, it says lifts up to 700lbs*. Notice the little star. It has an 700lb capacity with an UNASSISTED lift capacity of 500lbs. The ferno cot is UNASSISTED lift capacity of 700lbs. Only two hundred pounds difference & the instances of a patient over 500 pounds is not that common. Also, the whole idea, is that both personell on the ambulance lift the end of the cot into the truck. Split the 120lbs between two people and thats 60lbs. Less than a normal cot.

Hope this helps

Craig

We tried both of them here and we decided on the Stryker. The Ferno had several problems especially the angle of the handles at the foot. Very awkward and not easy to lift with. Why are you guys trying to lift the stretcher up stairs? Stair chairs are for that. We are also going to purchase a new stair chair. We have not decided on whether it will be the Stryker or the Ferno but I think both are excellent. With the roller mechanisms on them you can roll down the stairs unassisted. The cost of the cots is high but we have had several medics go out this year with back injuries. If we prevent one of those surgeries we probable pay for all of our cots.

We tried both of them here and we decided on the Stryker. The Ferno had several problems especially the angle of the handles at the foot. Very awkward and not easy to lift with. Why are you guys trying to lift the stretcher up stairs? Stair chairs are for that. We are also going to purchase a new stair chair. We have not decided on whether it will be the Stryker or the Ferno but I think both are excellent. With the roller mechanisms on them you can roll down the stairs unassisted. The cost of the cots is high but we have had several medics go out this year with back injuries. If we prevent one of those surgeries we probable pay for all of our cots.

We had a lot of people who were moaning about them, they wanted to see a pay raise instead. Then management threw down the numbers and showed how much had been spent on back injuries directly related to the use of the regular cots and showed how these cots would have been paid for in two months. They are worth it IMHO as they will prolong one's career in EMS. However, the best thing about them (and I still want to point this out) is that you can get the cot level with the height of most cars/trucks. This is great for placing the backboard on the cot, pulling it up to the patient, and using the KED to move them out with no "drop" from the seat to the cot.

I love the new Styrker stair chair with the tracks on it. Going down three flights of stairs is now simple.

• 5 months later...

We have been using the stryker power cot now for about 2 months in Barrow Alaska and I really love it. It is a bit heavier but that is no problem for me. My back loves this machine.. I have been on the street for over 30 years and all I can say.. is thank you for the power assist. we shall see how it works in -20 degree temps this winter

R Omstead

NREMTP/FF11 MICP MEDEVAC

BARROW ALASKA

We've had one of these for about 3 mths now. What a back saver! 8) On our new ambo, we can charge it as we roll. I'm not sure if that is the norm or not. Just a very good tool all services should try and implement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.