Type I vs. Type III

Dustdevil

well, type ones really are easier to hose out when needed

How so? A box is a box, isn't it?

Seems like a box without a walk-through would be a lot easier to hose out than one with a walk-through.

The only change I would add would be the addition of a Firecom sytem.

I have no idea what that is.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type I Ambulance - has a pick-up truck chassis with a box mounted as the patient care compartment. The type I ambulance is expensive in the short-run, but is cheap in the long-run since the box can be mounted on another chassis when the old chassis wears out. The type I ambulance tends to be wide (and therefore roomy inside) and is generally unsuitable for rural use due to narrow roads.

Type II Ambulance - is a highly modified van. This is the cheapest in terms of initial outlay, but when the chassis wears out the entire unit must be replaced. These trucks are ideal for urban use due to their small profile, but interior space is very limited. Type II ambulances can be 4 wheel drive for adverse weather conditions and off road use.

Type III Ambulance - has a van chassis with a box mounted as the patient care compartment. These trucks tend to be the most expensive, but the box can be remounted to a new chassis when the old one wears out. These trucks tend to be very steady and offer the most interior room available.

Chicago uses Type 1. I like them as I feel more safe I a bigger rig and I like the room. However, fire depts should take into consideration the hospitals you go to, the area you are in and the houses you are pulling into. A couple of houses here in Chicag you have mere inches on each side. Also downtown areas like Chicago are hard to navigate with large units. And we all know hospitals never think about ambulances when they remodel or design their ER entrance.

I also feel type 1 and type 3 are the most visible. They dont look like vans or conversion vans. They appear to me to be the most visible. I have driven type 2 and they seem top heavy and sway alot. I like the dual wheels on back on tpe 1's and 3's. Especially in Chicago snow storms.

hmmm interesting........

well, type ones really are easier to hose out when needed

but type 3's are smoother, easier communication (very important on county roads etc).

either way, if it's not a high top/van unit, i'm happy,

Having used both I have to say I don't think type I's ride any worse than type III's. Both type I and type III ambulances are built on a 1 tonne frame with 1 tonne suspension. I think the only reason our type I is shorter inside is because it's a 4x4. The overall height of the 4x4 isn't any greater than our 2 type I's in spite of having more ground clearance and larger tires. Having looked a little further into it I've found the same style bodies as those found on type III's can be fit to type I's. As far as I'm concerned that just about completely eliminates any advantage for a type III. The only remaining advantage I can see is maneuvering in really tight urban areas.

Yeah, but it remains relevant. It's one of those threads where extra input is always helpful.

Seriously, if I can find a Type I that actually rides good, I may change my mind about them.

Nothing will ride well on the 3rd world roads you are currently riding on...... LOL

The biggest thing I found was that with the type 1 NYC used to get you could caryy a pt. down 4 flights in a stair chair, and then lift them into the rear of the bus in the stair chair and transfer them to the stretcher...

Also, when a pt. went psycho. you could exit the vehicle and your partner was not accessible to the EDP in the back, offered some protection. If you were transporting a critical pt, and family was up front, they had less access to what was going on, and would not be able to interfere (climb thru) even if they wanted to.....just my 2 cents

Addressing the sub-subject of communicating between the cab and the cabin:

I have worked all 3 types of ambulance. Yelling is sometimes not a good method of communications, as, no matter of a walk-through with door, or just a transom window, sometimes, due to pain, the patient is screaming, and the tech driving closes the door or window, as not to be distracted from the driving by the patient's noise. Regrettably, I have both had it done to me, and done it to my partners.

I think the manufacturers still have available, a 3 color light "silent intercom", a red, yellow, and green light that shows in the cab. Green is obvious: Go. Yellow, in some systems, is "go gently", one of those calls where you might not want to shake up the patient.

Beware, though, when different system users work together. I needed to have the ambulance stop for a moment for a BP check, signaled with the red light, and then, the new to my system partner driving did a Mario Andretti imitation the rest of the way to the ED. I couldn't let go to take care of the patient, or I'd risk being bounced off the walls, even with the seat belts.

After transfer of care to the ED crew, I had a conversation with my partner (with me holding him by the collar against the wall, the other hand cocked for a punch!), where I discovered that in his previous system, the red light meant the patient had gone sour, and to increase speed to the ED, instead of "Stop" as it meant in mine.

Some manufacturers also have voice intercoms, but these have a habit of breaking down, or being broken by crews, within a month of delivery. It must be the same reason they close the door or transom windows. Me, I actually liked the voice intercoms, but not so my partners.

The colored light system is used, at least, by Horton. In the 2 Horton type 3s that I've worked in, the colored light was converted into text (patient condition 1, 2, 3 [G, Y, R]) up front. My experience is that Wheeled Coach (Crusader [type 2], Citimedic, and Custom series [both type 3s]) are not equipped with them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.