Type I vs. Type III

Dustdevil

I'd like to hear some opinions and observations regarding the benefits and drawbacks of Type I chassis versus Type III chassis. Something a little more substantial than "I like type I's best!' would be particularly helpful. In your experience, why would you choose one over the other.

A few benefits to the Type III that I am already aware of are:

• * Smoother ride

* Better turning radius

* Better visibility for driver

* Walk through/Talk through capability

• * More rugged

* Easier engine access for service

* More cab room

* Easier to remount

• One thing I have noticed is that FD systems tend to prefer Type I's, while non-FD systems tend to prefer Type III's. I have not been able to conclude why that might be, although I suspect a lot of it is simple machismo. The same reason a lot of firemen drive diesel dually extended cab pickups for their own POV when the most substantial cargo they ever carry in it is a case of beer. :roll:

Any other ideas or observations?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are getting our first type I in Feb. so ill let you now in a couple months.

I have ridden in a couple as an obsever on other services and, in my opinion they have as good a ride as the type III's my service currently runs and far better ride than our medium truck chassis POS.

The things I don't like about the Type I's are usually the lack of ability to communicate with who ever is in the back, or having the ability to see what is going on. Those little cubby holes aren't easy to fit in just to tell your driver something. The other thing I don't like about them is they usually isolate your student from the crew. However, they are safer for front/head on impacts.

I perfer a Type III because of the pass through which enables me to talk to the driver in a normal voice, allow the student to see where we are going from the jump seat instead of trying to crame into the cubby hole (because no matter how many times you tell them not to, they still do it). I also think they are easier to drive. I'm usually in a Ford Explorer or in the back of the ambulance, so the few times I do drive it is nice to have a little smaller nose.

• 2 months later...

Because we run the rig as both BLS and ALS, depending on who responds for the call. And from what my EMT-CC friend whos also in the departrmet tells me, if the rig is running BLS, an EMT-B cannot shock a pediatric case with the LP12 because its not bi phasic in automatic mode, which is the way EMT-B's in NY must use the LP12 in auto mode. So we need the AED on the rig so a Basic can shock a pediatric case.

• 2 years later...

I prefer the type I's over the type III's. First off, I'm 6'4" and the leg room up front is very nice. They are alot safer in a head on. Where I work we need 4WD and from everything I've been told the type III's can be outfitted to be 4WD but its not an option from the factory. Being 4WD it is very top heavy and likes to sway when you get in the truck grooves on the freeway. Our type I is walk thru type but i think only a child could walk through it.

Type III's ride about the same in my experience. It is alot easier talk to your partner in the back than a type I and see whats going on in the back. The type III might turn a little sharper but not much. They are alot easier to manuever in and out of traffic, mainly due to the fact that the don't feel near as big as the type I (maybe its just because I'm from the country)

[/font:948c497ca8] As far as preference it comes down to need and money. The only con I personally have about class 3's are that if you have a need to get to your partner or your partner needs means of egress from a violent or combative patient they are stuck till you get the rig stopped and you run around to get to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.