Type I vs. Type III

Dustdevil

One thing I have noticed is that FD systems tend to prefer Type I's, while non-FD systems tend to prefer Type III's. I have not been able to conclude why that might be, although I suspect a lot of it is simple machismo. The same reason a lot of firemen drive diesel dually extended cab pickups for their own POV when the most substantial cargo they ever carry in it is a case of beer.

The providers in the largest FD/EMS system in my area want type IIIs, but the mechanics want type I's.

So they're sticking with type I's. :roll:

The rest have all pretty much moved to type IIIs, but with the recent Ford issues, medium-duty units have made a resurgence. Both of my agencies have type IIIs.

Having worked on everything except a medium duty, my preference is III for all of the reasons listed, plus they seem to allow more compartment space both inside and out.

A medium duty will never make some of the turns in my POC job, and the FT job will never pay that much for an ambulance. So I guess, short of getting a job on the local CCT, I won't get the experience.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In BC the only type I cars are the 4x4's. The rest are type III's. Having driven and worked in both I have to say the type III is easier to attend in because it is taller in the back. The type I's are better to drive and much easier to work on for the maintenance crews. Our only type I's are out of necessity (some of our areas are 4x4 or no access at times). Also for us it's much easier to take the cot in and out of the type III, although I suspect that's because our type I's are 4x4's.

After being reminded of portions of the American Airlines Flight #587, November 12, 2001, crash in my neighborhood, by another EMT who worked the call with me, I feel obligated to mention a point of consideration:

When the decision to transport the body bags of the 260 bodies (and parts) from the jet, and the 5 from the ground, to the temporary morgue at the NYPD Aviation hangar, the other EMT had a fight with the FDNY EMS Chief of Department. The Chief wanted to use the services of several Volunteer Ambulance Services that had self dispatched to the call, and my friend, who has USAF Disaster Management training, advised to only use the VAS units that had a Type One there. The Chief wanted to use all of the ambulances.

My friend's figuring was, and after the fact I concur, the massive amount of "Gross Contamination" from the blood that was seeping through the body bags would be contained by the basic body design of the Type Ones, but would allow for the "Gross Contamination" in the Type Two and Three ambulances to extend to the Driver's compartments, via the "Walk Through" doorways.

Figure this factor: Type Ones are easier to floor clean after the call is over.

• 3 weeks later...

Our agency just took delivery of a 2008 AEV type I on a Ford F-450. I love it. The ride is smooth, lots of leg room up front Im 6'1" and my partner is 6'4". It is very tall thus top heavy so smooth turns is a huge thing. It has 70" of headroom in the back which isnt too bad. It has the new Ford twin turbo diesel engine which has lots of power. The only thing I dont care for is administration went and put a stupid looking what they call an EKG stripe down the side. Looks more like a third degree than NSR...

The ride is smooth.

In back too? Smooth enough to write a narrative on your lap in back without it looking like somebody with Stage 5 Parkinson's wrote it? I've never been in a Type I that gave me a smooth enough ride in the patient compartment to like it, but I'd like to!

I think it's important to note that this thread is now over 2 years old.

Yeah, but it remains relevant. It's one of those threads where extra input is always helpful.

Seriously, if I can find a Type I that actually rides good, I may change my mind about them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.