IS ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE CALLED AN AMBULANCE DRIVER

ffemt819

Here's how I handled being called an ambulance driver:

I had (actually, still have) this really nasty RN who works in my local hospital, and she would ALWAYS refer to us as "ambulance drivers". Well, one day, I was in a particularly foul mood, it was early in the morning, and I was on my 5th call of the day without having as much as a cup of coffee yet.

My partner and I rolled thru the doors of the hospital with a patient on our stretcher, and this nasty nurse says out loud for everyone to hear "Oh!! The ambulance drivers are here! What did you bring us this time??"

Well, my face got red (according to my partner), and I said out loud, to the nasty nurse, for everyone to hear "Geez Ms. LPN, I have a bedpan in the back of my truck that needs cleaning. Would you be a sweetheart and take care of that for me?"

I said this, knowing full well she was an RN, hoping to elict some sort of response from her, which I got!!

She huffed "I'm NOT an LPN, I'm an RN!!"

I said "Very well, I'm not an ambulance driver, I'm a PARAMEDIC. Let's see if we can keep that straight from now on, shall we?"

Needless to say, she never call me an ambulance driver ever again.....

The area I work in only has a small community health center. Some of the nurses there are old as dirt. They repeatedly call me an ambulance driver. The newer ones not so much. I really don't take offence though, these girls are just stuck in their ways I know they don't mean any disrespect because if someone codes and we happen to be there they let us run the code. At night the doctors are called in and if they get something serious they call us up from our station to help them. They really treat us like part of the team so I can forgive them if senility sets in and they call me the wrong title.

• 2 weeks later...

I met with my lawyer today to discuss some company issues and he refered to all the EMS personnel in our fire department as ambulance drivers. He did this several times before I FINALLY told him that it was probably better to be an ambulance driver than an ambulance chaser.

I met with my lawyer today to discuss some company issues and he refered to all the EMS personnel in our fire department as ambulance drivers. He did this several times before I FINALLY told him that it was probably better to be an ambulance driver than an ambulance chaser.
LMFAO! Good one!

• 4 years later...

I actually lucked out with the company I work for. I am an EMT-D in NY and an EMT in PA and we do a lot of inter-facility transfers as well as code 3 calls. I usually work with the same three people, 2 are AEMT-CC (Critical Care) and one paramedic. All three of them has corrected hospital staff before I was able to. Each pointing out that I was a trained EMT and not "just a driver". Of course, they let me have it when I first started and was joking about being just the driver, I learned quick. For as trained as the hospital staff is? Not as quick...

Before the municipal EMS in NYC became FDNY-run, we had a combined graduation of new EMTs, new members of EMS, advancement to Paramedics, and newly minted Lieutenants. We invited then Mayor Ed Koch to the ceremony.

Mr. Koch actually said to the graduates and spectators, "Let me be the first to congratulate all of you, on your first steps towards becoming Police and Fire Officers."

Huh? These were all people who were EMS career oriented.

At the time, contract negotiations were in progress, and one item under discussion was pay parity with NYPD and/or FDNY. After the ceremony, union trustees approached and asked about the parity, and were rebuffed by his statement of "Not while I'm Mayor".

When asked the next day about the comment to the graduates, Koch then told the press corps, "I don't understand what all these Ambulance Drivers are so upset about." (Italics mine for emphasis)

For the next few days, numerous municipal EMTs and Paramedics put surgical tape over their EMT and Paramedic patches, and wrote on the tape "Ambulance Driver".

On a side note, later that year, when Koch later had a heart attack, which he survived, he was not taken to a hospital by ambulance. Instead, he was taken by detectives of his security detail in "unmarked" cop cars, lights and siren.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.