EMT-B Course Experiences?

Julian A

Hey everybody, new guy on this forum. This month, I am starting an EMT-B course, as well as joining my local rescue squad. I'm a 16 year old student, and I'm excited for the course, but I was hoping to get some general advice. What were your general experiences during your first EMT course? How should I prepare? Also, what was your experience like being a newbie on the squad? How did you do your first few months on the job? And finally, how should I mentally prepare myself for the job? Helping people and working in the healthcare field has been my dream since elementary school, and I'm dedicated to really doing a good job, but I know it can be a rough job, and I was wondering if there really is any way you can mentally prepare yourself. Whew, long post. Anyways, I appreciate any feedback.

• Like 1

Julian,

Having just completed my EMT Course I can say this; Take it seriously, Don't goof off and STUDY. Don't try to skate by either like a few people in my class. You make yourself look silly and end up wasting the money you spent on the course.

I can't help you with the "Rookie" status as I'm still a "Rookie" and still trying to find a place in either an Emergency Department, Fire Department or on an Ambulance.

• Like 2

My EMT-B course was a few years ago, I was 17 when I started it. The EMT-B course is pretty simple. It is mostly common sense first aid. I'd say don't be overly confident going in, be willing to learn, and don't be afraid to ask when you have a question.

I'm curious if your age has been addressed? It is a pretty big liability to have someone under 18 on a truck. In Texas you can't even get certified until you are 18. Most agencies won't insure you to drive until you are 21. I think your eagerness is exciting but is it realistic? Hopefully you have already thought these things through...

It is very realistic for that area. Good for you Julian! I joined my fire department when I was 16 also and it was a great experience. You probably won't be allowed to ride alone until you're 18, but that gives you two years to ride with different EMT's and paramedics, and to learn a lot. Keep your mind open and you will gain a lot of practical knowledge from the different partners. Just ask questions. You will also learn how not to behave on the ambulance :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input! As far as the age concern goes, the squad I am joining allows 16 year olds. I'm not sure if I can participate in ride alongs, but as Kate_826 pointed out, I think the practical experience of just being around other EMTs and Paramedics is just as valuable as ride alongside. In the end, I'm here to learn, either way.

Our squad allows 16 year olds to ride along, but they can only observe. We have two Highschool students.

Our area wont let them test until they are 18 so our squad wont pay or send them to school until they will be of age to test, but they can observe and ride along as long as it doesn't interfere with their studies or sleep schedules.

I think it is great you have such an interest in EMS, it's refreshing to see a caring trait in the youth.

We actually have a High School EMS program, when you graduate you can take the national registry after your 18th birthday. Great success with it and had allot of kids go on to get full time jobs. Plus like Mari said, it's great to have some young blood infused into our departments.

Welcome to te City.

As a newbie the best thing to do is listen , observe ask questions and let your brain soak up as much as it can handle.

I started as a 17 yo ambulance attendant back in the dark ages of EMS. I had a red cross advanced first aid course under my belt and took the AA class . That was back in 1971.

I still spend lots of time listening and learning every chance I get.

You can never know everything there is to know.

Had a very challenging call the other day.

Afterwards the ER Doc sat down with us for a little discussion after we asked him what might have been done differently. He explained all the things that were done in the ER. [ All of which were outside our protocols ]

And complimented us on how we had brought the gent back to life in spite of all the odds stacked against us. I learned several important things about the process that occurs when a dialysis pt is 24 hrs overdue and how the interaction of certain meds complicated the process.

Great Doc and Well worth the 15 minutes he spent with us.

Edited by island emt

1971!!?? That's waaaaaayyyy before Johnny and Roy!! You are old.

When you're ready I'd be interested in hearing about this call and what the doc had to say.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1