Additional training for EMT-Basic?

All this discussion about aditonal training brings up a concern.

I am considering going for my bacheleors degree in EMS Management through an online university program recognized by NAEMT.

Any thoughts anyone?

About what are you concerned?

Is the online university a real life accredited university? I don't mean by the NAEMT. I mean is it accredited by a legitimate educational accrediting agency?

I wanted to find out if anyone had experience with the online programs of "The College Network" and George Washington University. Accreditation is a good point, I will definitely look into it. I made the mistake of assuming they were all accredited.

A CEVO class is an insurance company driven class. You get a certificate of completion but it's not an additional "cert" to add onto the end of your name. The driving courses for both CEVO and EVOC are fun so I don't mind that part, the lecture part is a major snore inducer. Much like WMD classes and blood borne pathogen classes...both are important but when you've gone through them 20 times, you just want to say...gimme the test and lemme outta here.

There are some online courses on the FEMA website that are pretty interesting and you get CME's for them. The ICS (Incident Command System) courses are something every new EMT should take, just to familiarize yourself with how incident management works. I have taken all of them and I warn you the last one literally put me to sleep because it basically walks you through the whole 400+ page Incident Command Act.

Now that I have derailed the thread lol...I agree that an A&P class would be most helpful...ECG's not so much. As a basic you can't use them or interpret them...and it is one of the more difficult parts of the paramedic curriculum. I personally enjoyed the hell out of it but it also really interested me.

I'm off to study new protocols and meds and take a test...good luck to you :)

1. CEVO - Learn to drive a 16,000lb truck like it's a limo.

Sorry, but that one made me laugh. Is that what they're advertising now? 'Cause I recall watching a video, taking a test, and then driving an ambulance around some cones in a parking lot in about a day's time.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread has been sort of stagnant for a while.....but as a current medic student, here's my 2 cents:

1) Don't go into medic school blind....get some experience. You'll have a much higher chance of being successful if yo get some EMT-B experience first.

2) As far as courses to take, I would definitely suggest taking a Pharmacology course & a Cardiology course. You will be much more prepared for the more potentially challenging parts of a Paramedic program this way. Other than those two....I can only second the courses listed in posts above.

Again, I know that the post has been stale, but there's no substitute for education, experience, & thorough preparation.

• Like 1

I'm sure like all places we have our good/bad apples working in the field. From my own experience CA is great place to persue a career in EMS. I'm fortunate to be given the opportunity to work with the hard working medics that we do have.

Edited by ApneicMinority
  • Like 1