Additional training for EMT-Basic?

I honestly agree with gaining experience prior to going into Paramedic. Paramedic might be easier on paper, but there are practical skills that would come easier to you if you have experience. Just my two cents.

I like the idea of us Basics learning EKG. EKG interests me a lot. Especially since in my system I am routinely given patients that in any other system would be ALS. I don't carry a 12 lead, but I am often given strips by paramedics or RN's to be given to other facilities, etc. Be nice to know what I am looking at and what I could expect. But, this and pharmacology are two things that really interest me.

I would like to take an ACLS course but I don't think they are offered to basics around here mainly because our protocols are different from the rest of the country.

A lack of practical learning in paramedic school reflects the particular curriculum of that school. As stated earlier, few real professions require experience at a lower level before moving on. Physicians do not have to be PA's prior to going to medical school, RN's do not have to be LPN's prior to nursing school, Registered Respiratory Therapists do not have to go to CRT school prior to completing RRT.

If you want to know about pharmacology and 12 leads, you need extensive foundational knowledge in anatomy and physiology and other subjects. Not an EMT-B add on module. Additionally, EMT-B experience has little to offer aside from picking something up here and there from other providers. That's somewhat like me thinking I can lean proper chemistry by hanging out with physical chemists and picking up a term here and a concept there.

If a school is pumping out subpar medics, the problem is with the school and should not be remedied by mandating arbitrary amounts of experience as a lower level provider. IMHO.

• Like 2