Additional training for EMT-Basic?

What is some additional training for the EMT Basic level that could be taken?

(without getting into Paramedic schooling so soon.)

Or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

I am just curious, are you looking to go eventually into Paramedic? How long have you been an EMT-B.

I haven't actually started working as an EMT yet. I just recently passed NR friday and have been applying for jobs in my area. I will be pursuing Paramedic in the next few years after I gain experience and more skill. I don't want to go in blind.

I agree with taking A&P classes this fall semester.

I was wondering more along the lines of different certifications that will further my career, besides Paramedic right now. Like what additional courses for the EMS would be considered a plus to have for a person in EMS and to have on ones resume. Like EMT-Tactical for instance.

Thanks for all the insight. As it is hard for me to reply to every from my phone, its a pos.

Truly appreciate it.

I am not intending to knock you long term plan but the idea of needing experience as an EMT to be a good medic is a bunk filled fallacy.

If you want to be a paramedic don't waste your time working a BLS unit go ahead and become a medic, unless of course you enjoy earning less money and being a "bag man" for a medic. You will learn very little as a basic that you will not learn anyway i while becoming a medic.

I enjoyed Tac Med very much. It is kind a fun course but unless you live in a crime infested area you probably will not use it much.

Edited by DFIB

As an EMT there really isn't much in the way of "certification" courses you can take other than what it required (e.g. CPR). CHBARE outlined some good college level courses to take that will help guide your professional understanding and interaction with others. DFIB astutely noted that if you want to be a paramedic you'll be better served by going to paramedic school now rather than waiting.

Going in blind to paramedic school is probably the best way to go. Your cup is empty and you can learn with an open, untainted, unbiased mind. If you insist, however, on working as a basic (a tough proposition given the over abundance of EMTs and limited EMT level jobs), then at least go to your local community college and take the classes that have been outlined and discussed.

Like EMT-Tactical for instance.

My opinions (bear in mind that I haven't been active in the field in a couple of years):

Definitely not that one.

The best advice is to start working for credits towards a degree, if it's financially / logistically possible. EMS has a horrible tendency towards weekend certification courses, like ACLS, PALS, PEPP, NRP, ITLS, PHTLS, AMLS, GEMS, PPC, AHLS, ABLS, or for that matter the CCEMTP program, that does nothing to advance the profession, and risks turning us into a bunch of badge-collecting boy scouts.

Basic EMT training is so short that you probably can get some value from some of these courses, but I doubt any of them would really add to your employability, although this may vary based on where you're working. When I was an EMT I held an ITLS (at the time, BTLS) cert that the local employers wanted people to have. Most of these courses you could probably extract a large percentage of the benefit from by just purchasing a cheap second hand copy of the most recent textbook.

* Reading an ACLS or PALS text, particularly the cardiac arrest sections might make you more useful to a paramedic partner during a code. The AHA (or local organisation), tend not to certify BLS providers. The course requires some very basic ECG skills.

* NRP isn't a bad course. It's very simple, and very short, and almost all of it is BLS applicable. It also covers a very low frequency skillset, i.e. the resuscitation of newborns, that you may only use a few times in your career. Really, these low frequency skillsets are the ones we probably should be prioritising for refreshers, because most of the other stuff you do fairly regularly.

* I thought PEPP was an ok course for BLS. It introduces a simple method for assessing pediatric patients, that would probably give you more confidence if this is an area where you're lacking in comfort/experience.

* The best choice of all, might actually be some sort of driving course like CEVO or NAPD. Most employers don't want you wrapping a vehicle around a pole, and you certainly don't want that either.

I am not intending to knock you long term plan but the idea of needing experience as an EMT to be a good medic is a bunk filled fallacy.

If you want to be a paramedic don't waste your time working a BLS unit go ahead and become a medic, unless of course you enjoy earning less money and being a "bag man" for a medic. You will learn very little as a basic that you will not learn anyway i while becoming a medic.

I enjoyed Tac Med very much. It is kind a fun course but unless you live in a crime infested area you probably will not use it much.

Detroit, MI. Does that classify as a crime infested area? lol

Thanks no offense taken. I hear everything you said. I was going to jump into it at first but didnt have $5,000 just laying around.

My opinions (bear in mind that I haven't been active in the field in a couple of years):

Definitely not that one.

The best advice is to start working for credits towards a degree, if it's financially / logistically possible. EMS has a horrible tendency towards weekend certification courses, like ACLS, PALS, PEPP, NRP, ITLS, PHTLS, AMLS, GEMS, PPC, AHLS, ABLS, or for that matter the CCEMTP program, that does nothing to advance the profession, and risks turning us into a bunch of badge-collecting boy scouts.

Basic EMT training is so short that you probably can get some value from some of these courses, but I doubt any of them would really add to your employability, although this may vary based on where you're working. When I was an EMT I held an ITLS (at the time, BTLS) cert that the local employers wanted people to have. Most of these courses you could probably extract a large percentage of the benefit from by just purchasing a cheap second hand copy of the most recent textbook.

* Reading an ACLS or PALS text, particularly the cardiac arrest sections might make you more useful to a paramedic partner during a code. The AHA (or local organisation), tend not to certify BLS providers. The course requires some very basic ECG skills.

* NRP isn't a bad course. It's very simple, and very short, and almost all of it is BLS applicable. It also covers a very low frequency skillset, i.e. the resuscitation of newborns, that you may only use a few times in your career. Really, these low frequency skillsets are the ones we probably should be prioritising for refreshers, because most of the other stuff you do fairly regularly.

* I thought PEPP was an ok course for BLS. It introduces a simple method for assessing pediatric patients, that would probably give you more confidence if this is an area where you're lacking in comfort/experience.

* The best choice of all, might actually be some sort of driving course like CEVO or NAPD. Most employers don't want you wrapping a vehicle around a pole, and you certainly don't want that either.

In Michigan from what I am hearing is when you get hired they send you through the CEVO course.

I was looking into a ECG course. I know for sure that would help further my knowledge right now if I am not in Paramedic school.

Detroit, MI. Does that classify as a crime infested area? lol

Thanks no offense taken. I hear everything you said. I was going to jump into it at first but didnt have $5,000 just laying around.

Look around. You might find a school that will let you make payments.

Camp,

LSTI and MAES both have payment plans. Sure, they requires 50% down payment, but at least you're looking at a reduced out-of-pocket per month, and up front, that way. Plus, if you get hired on to DMCE, Healthlink, or CEMS, you get the employee discount at LSTI (which is 10% off, or roughly $400).

Or, any of the community colleges have financial aid, and they'll be starting in the next 10 weeks with their latest round of medic courses. Hell, hurry up and register at Wayne County and you'll be able to join me for medic training!

As far as experiencing the road before jumping into medic; you'll probably know everything you need to know from working basic in a month. Any longer than that, and you'll just be putting yourself on the road to burnout, with working and school at the same time.

Otherwise, to keep things relevant to work, here's what I would do (or rather what I've done, or plan on doing):

1. CEVO - Learn to drive a 16,000lb truck like it's a limo.

2. College stuffs (I've done these, but recommend them): Pharmacology, Anatomy + Physiology 1 and 2, Medical Terminology, Medical Math, Microbiology, Chemistry (through organic), Math through intermediate algebra, English Comp 1 + 2, Technical writing

3. ACLS - You'll need it for paramedic anyways, plus at the basic level, they'll teach you how to assist a paramedic on a call. Can you spike an IV bag and have it ready to connect to a lock? If not... take the course.

4. Sort sort of defensive tactics class, whether it's a weekend community center course, or a full blown martial arts class - You'll be working in, around, and near Detroit. Shit happens, and it happens frequently. You don't need to be Jackie Chan, you just need to know how to get yourself away from a situation and into your truck as fast as possible. Don't let ANYONE tell you that "if your scene isn't safe, you should have stayed in the truck" applies in Detroit. I have had several friends and coworkers called to a scene with PD, and as soon as the cops left, they were mugged. Yes, several.

Other than that, use your head. If you're able to easily grasp new concepts at a fast pace, then your medic class may be all you need for education. If you need to slow down and study before things sink in, you might want to look into taking additional courses before you jump into medic class.

All this discussion about aditonal training brings up a concern.

I am considering going for my bacheleors degree in EMS Management through an online university program recognized by NAEMT.

Any thoughts anyone?

All this discussion about aditonal training brings up a concern.

I am considering going for my bacheleors degree in EMS Management through an online university program recognized by NAEMT.

Any thoughts anyone?

What`s your concern?

About your plans: If there is a possible career opportunity to advance to with this, why not? Sounds cool. Make sure it`s a viable and "useful" online university though, I´ve seen some things with these kind of offers that I wasn`t so appealed by.

I´ve recently started distance-learning towards a BA myself, though in a totally EMS-unrelated subject, so far it turns out quite well.