TLC Shows

Nate

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might also add that here in the State of Arkansas it is unlawful to bypass an MVA if EMS personnel are not already on-scene. By law you have to stop and assist and call for help. So what is the difference between that and mandatory CPR??

I still think CPR should required of those who are mentally and physically able to do it. Require it at the ageof 16 when a student applies for their DL. they must re-certify in CPR in order to renew the DL.

-Alco

Well I am with the ones that say every able body individual should have CPR but on the other hand if you aren't physically able to do it then you shouldn't do it. As far as kids having it i taught a class for a local agency that the kids were doing babysitting during the summer well needless to say i will never teach anyone CPR that does not want to really learn it. it was a total waste of time. If people want to learn i say go for it but if they didn't really want to learn it you are wasting your time.

I'm in Texas and never had any CPR training whatsoever until I moved to Oklahoma for college and decided to go to EMT school. I wish it was a mandatory high school class, or even junior high. I don't think recert should be mandatory but at least teach them once. If John Q Public took CPR and was "issued" a barrier of some sort (mask or just the face shield), they may be more willing to actually do CPR should the need arise. High schools in my district required a semester of speech class and some other things that I never quite understood, so why not a one day CPR class? I didn't really mean to ramble so long.....

Hope everyone stays safe,

Jenn

• 1 year later...

One point nobody has made on Public CPR courses:

For a layperson CPR is a skill that must be practiced and used regularly, otherwise people forget how to do it, or get lazy on how to do it. Laypeople having CPR classes would probably do more harm than good. Laypeople already drag pts out of cars before EMS arrives. Thinks about what would happen if they improperly checked a pulse and began chest compressions. Their hands are too low and they break off the xiphoid process and lacerate the pt's liver. Even wore than that, they can compress at a funny angle and snap ribs in such a way that whey cause more internal injuries. In all reality the pt still has a pulse. Laypeople doing CPR once every 2 years is not enough practice to do quality BLS.

As for medical shows, I like watching House. I have not seen many errors on it. (there have been some though, Last week house exhibits wide complex SVT which immediately ceased into Asystole. If I remember correctly they "shocked" his heart out of asystole too.)

Another one, Scrubs, I crack up every time they intubate someone because it is so casual like they are not even looking at the pt.

Crazy doctor shows, you would think they would hire someone to make it more authentic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.