The Kiwi-ERDoc love fest continues

ERDoc

Well, the cirilla's was nice on the outside but the skank on the inside left well let's just say, a little to be desired. errr Note to the wife, I didn't go in, I DID NOT GO IN TO CIRILLA's, honest, I DIDN't.

you mean there's a cirillas there?

It must be the Topomax making me have the selective forgetfulness that the neurologist warned me about.

my best friends mom owned the cirillas your talking about CKA

Thanks Doc, I have two chances so it's not the end of the world and if not work til I'm eek, 30 and save up large and do a four year degree in Australia.

So I am watching Something the Lord Made; the story of Al Blalock and Vivien Thomas and their surgical correction of Tautology of Fallot; it's also a PBS Documentary Partners of the Heart and it's very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llpXsaUeJp0

Thank you very much for finding this video

isnt this conditon called patent arteriosus ductus?

Far as I know it's called Teratology of Fallot oh look its a case of shut the hell up and dont say things to make Kiwi look stupid :D

There is also a movie called Something the Lord Made about Blalock, Thomas and Taussig

At least three of the four known defects are always present; the fourth is a ventricular septal shunt which was not curable until the mid 1950s when a surgeon named Walter Lillehei became the first doctor to repair the hole and thus prevent the mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood. Now, Lillehi was obviously a very smart bloke but unfortunately he was also um how to put it best, totally fucking demented, in that he used a bunch of live healthy people and anastamosed the femoral artery and vein from his patients to the healthy person so that they could act as a heart lung machine while he clamped off the cardiac vessels of the patient.

It was Blalock in the early 1930s who debunked research by Walter Cannon (who ironically got his ideas on the Battlefields of WW I) which led to the modern practice of volume replacement for shocked patients. Think of him next time you're infusing a bag of fluid into somebody

It should be well noted that despite my mild interest in the historical development of surgery I have no interest in becoming a surgeon nor anything remotely related to surgery; I will be staying behind the surgical drape and reading my magazine maybe occasionally sending the anaesthetic technician out for coffee and snacks but not once ever looking at the monitors; that is why we have audible alarms, this novel i am reading is far more important than some numbers on a screen

Edited by Kiwiology

Far as I know it's called Teratology of Fallot oh look its a case of shut the hell up and dont say things to make Kiwi look stupid :D

There is also a movie called Something the Lord Made about Blalock, Thomas and Taussig

At least three of the four known defects are always present; the fourth is a ventricular septal shunt which was not curable until the mid 1950s when a surgeon named Walter Lillehei became the first doctor to repair the hole and thus prevent the mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood. Now, Lillehi was obviously a very smart bloke but unfortunately he was also um how to put it best, totally fucking demented, in that he used a bunch of live healthy people and anastamosed the femoral artery and vein from his patients to the healthy person so that they could act as a heart lung machine while he clamped off the cardiac vessels of the patient.

your shitting me right? He used a healthy person for a heart lung machine????

Ive watched something the lord made several times. One of my favorite based on a true story type movies.

your shitting me right? He used a healthy person for a heart lung machine????

No, I am actually serious.

http://circ.ahajourn...00/13/1364.full

To be fair they did person-person blood transfusions back in the day as well but still

Hey you know in 50 years they'll be saying about us "now to be fair they gave people adrenaline for cardiac arrest back in the day to..." :D

Edited by Kiwiology