Boston EMS

joeydisasteroid

Well I have now recovered fully from my injury and have to return to work. I will no longer be cluttering up your forums with my opinions, i really dont have anythig against any of you. I just have a problem with medics bashing emts, and it seems that a lot of this goes on here. I fight enough battles at work I dont need to fight, them here also. Maybe we should get rid of all EMTs then you would really have fun doing all those calls that you are above, and that dont require lifesaving measures.

Well have fun, and good luck with getting all your education standards approved.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be bad blood on a management level, but we get along with their crews just fine. I've seen them called when all the Trinity trucks were stuck in snow and many of HFD's trucks were stuck in snow (it was a good day for snow and a bad bad day for us), and I've seen them sent into Groveland to assist Trinity BLS when Trinity ALS was tied up.

Well, perhaps all except for a certain captain that works in E-1's house on High St.. :wink: :!: :shock: 8) :P 8)

ACE

Geez, with all the infighting about Boston EMS, who even needs to mention the Yankees to start a fight?

Ah, f--k it, I will. I took this picture Tuesday night at the end of the top of the 9th, while listening to Ol' Blue Eyes singing New York, New York:

Yanks-Sox060606009.jpg

Geez, with all the infighting about Boston EMS, who even needs to mention the Yankees to start a fight?

Ah, f--k it, I will. I took this picture Tuesday night at the end of the top of the 9th, while listening to Ol' Blue Eyes singing New York, New York:

Yanks-Sox060606009.jpg

Ohhh....Boy, You PA-NJ guys really like to stir the 'shtuff' don't ya?!?!? 8) :P :wink: :lol:

Why don't ya big Poppy This.....................

LOL

out here,

ACE844

Just out of curiosity, was your Dialysis patient with hypertension symptomatic? Such as with CP/SOB? Or was HTN the complaint?

HTN was the chief complaint with their monitor reading over 200 prior to arrival. The patient was slightly altered, which was a combination of a possible psych Hx (dictated physical in the records that we recieved stated this) and just finishing a dialysis treatment. In my area, you only find ALS with the fire department, so all private emergency calls are dispatched BLS by a lack of choice. She was also complaining about SOB (not really showing it, though), but I believe it was psychosomatic based on the rest of her presentation (she still got a mask, which she held on to and used PRN). My unit had a 20-30 min ETA (first call of the day leaving from our base) and a less then 5 transport (just down the street from the hospital).

This is also why I believe that interfacility EMTs should be held to a higher standard then 911 EMTs in a system where all 911 calls get an ALS response (ALS can triage down to BLS in the field).

Well I have now recovered fully from my injury and have to return to work. I will no longer be cluttering up your forums with my opinions, i really dont have anythig against any of you. I just have a problem with medics bashing emts, and it seems that a lot of this goes on here. I fight enough battles at work I dont need to fight, them here also. Maybe we should get rid of all EMTs then you would really have fun doing all those calls that you are above, and that dont require lifesaving measures.

Well have fun, and good luck with getting all your education standards approved.

We are open 24/7 and no bashing EMT's is not are main point. Difference between ignorance and stupidity, is ignorance is not knowing and that is simple to change, stupidity is refusing to learn and expand ones knowledge. Something that is not tolerated on most EMS forums (that is what there for) . We attempt to promote thinking outside the box and exploring ideas other than incestial ones. I do suggest reading new text, journals and research studies, things have changed within the past 15 years. it might be nice to know what the rest of the EMS world is doing other than your own..

R/r 911

- Higher education doesn't go far in BLS. I have a B.Sc. in Physiology. It's very pretty on my wall, but it's not what makes me a decent EMT-B. It helps me to understand what is happening to my patients, and I can better explain to patients what is going on and why we treat them as we do, but understanding what a cardiomyocyte is doing during an MI really doesn't change my treatment of chest pain patients. Familiarity with osteocytes doesn't change treatment of a broken bone, nor does knowing the name of every bump, dent and angle of the bone.

It depends, though. I've rerouted and not rerouted patients because I've had a better understanding due to my hospital experiences and education. You might not be able to treat the patient any differently, but it could mean the difference between a hospital 10 minutes away and a hospital less then 2 minutes away because you reconize what that one part of the exam that just isn't fitting properly.

Just remember you can't fix it, if you don't know what is broken. No education is wasted, you might be surprised on what influence and mentoring you might be providing. I worked with a Basic EVO, that had a graduate degree in Bio-Chem. and he no desire to ever go further in EMS. He however had the desire to be the best EMT and EVO he could be. I truly say, I never had to ask for equipment, prepare any equipment, and get a mapbook out. He performed very highly at his level, and had a lot better knowledge of pathophysiology than most Paramedics.

I always tried to encourage him to pursue Paramedic, because of his patient care and professional demeanor. Although, I had a higher medical license than him, he taught me calmness in a stressful environment when the feces hit the fan, being prepared, and gentleness to patients, and the main thing professionalism. So, attempt not to too discourage, no matter what level you are at, you might be teaching someone.

R/r 911

Ohhh....Boy, You PA-NJ guys really like to stir the 'shtuff' don't ya?!?!? 8) :P :wink: :lol:

Why don't ya big Poppy This.....................

LOL

out here,

ACE844

How dare you insult me. I'm not from Jersey, I'm from Brooklyn NYC. I merely work in Jersey.

Hey, someone had to break the ice.