Boston EMS

joeydisasteroid

Hello, in response to your question. You have to apply and take a written and practical exam to be considered for the EMS academy. Once hired you attend an academy based on BLS care. Once you pass the academy, to include a preceptor evaluation period, you are used as coverage personnel for your first year (meaning what ever shift needs to be filled you fill) after that you may bid on a perm shift/ambulance. After you have been in the union for a year you are allowed to take the exam to be considered for acceptance into the paramedic academy. After being accepted you have to retake paramedic school, and then you may or may not be selected to work as a paramedic for Boston EMS. I hope this answers your question. As to the residency requirement, yes you have to live in the city of Boston to work for Boston EMS.

Fly Safe..............Sean

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, in response to your question. You have to apply and take a written and practical exam to be considered for the EMS academy. Once hired you attend an academy based on BLS care. Once you pass the academy, to include a preceptor evaluation period, you are used as coverage personnel for your first year (meaning what ever shift needs to be filled you fill) after that you may bid on a perm shift/ambulance. After you have been in the union for a year you are allowed to take the exam to be considered for acceptance into the paramedic academy. After being accepted you have to retake paramedic school, and then you may or may not be selected to work as a paramedic for Boston EMS. I hope this answers your question. As to the residency requirement, yes you have to live in the city of Boston to work for Boston EMS.

Fly Safe..............Sean

Thanks for confirming the info I posted , and welcome to the board...

Ace844

• 2 weeks later...

They are a third service agency which is a branch of the Boston Public Health/Hospitals Dept. They are the primary provider of 911 service for Boston ( meaning: Boston, Roxbury, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, Charlestown, Dorcester, Jamica Plain, Mattapan, East Boston) When they get "overwhelmed" and or need additional ALS units, their dispatcher calls and requests resources from the various privates in the metro area.

also, please see my previous posts...

Hope this helps,

Ace844

ACTUALLY if you do a little research on Boston H&H you will find they are run by Boston University and are no longer under the city -- so technically they are a private service with a real big ego

Paul

If you like structure and jumping thru hoops it sounds like Boston is a good fit. I for one did not go to medic school to have to work as a basic and then depending if they liked me and didn't try to wash me out I could get one of the prestigious medic slots.

NO THANKS> But for those who want to go that way and work for "The best" then I guess that you could follow the route Boston EMS has set up.

If it works for them then more power to em.

I tend to agree. I am all for new medics spending significant time as a secondary medic before becoming a primary. But what Boston is doing smacks of pointless cronyism and snobbery. Considering none of the schools up there are even accredited, I can't figure out what they are so proud of.

How long has BU been running it? Any chance the new administration will revamp the system to be more professional?

So does Mass only use basics? And if Im living in or very near the city (as i probably will be) are there other choices of good 911 jobs? I really need a good job that has some good 911 junk goin on. I just dont really know where to start. Its so different from state to state. I dont mind doin fire but my heart is really in the medical side of things. Give me some ideas so I know where to freakin go when I get there.....IM SO CONFUSED!!!

-pocket

I can say for a fact that no, Mass doesn't only use basics. There are a lot of medics out there who work for privates and pull 911 shifts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding (as a private service EMT-B) is that most private ambulance medics also work on ALS transfer trucks in addition to doing their 911 shifts. Boston EMS is a one of a kind system, and I've never ever heard of any other service (even in MA) that makes newly-hired medics work as basics first. There are several private companies in and around the metro Boston area that do both 911 and transfers. One of them is a company called Fallon Ambulance. They have six 911 contracts- and most all of those contracts are ALS systems (with the exception of Quincy, which- I believe- has 2 ALS and 1 BLS truck). Check them out at www.fallonambulance.com There is also Cataldo Ambulance, which has seven busy 911 contracted cities: www.cataldoambulance.com There is also Armstrong Ambulance, but I don't think they have a whole lot of 911 contracts any more: www.armstrongambulance.com If you are willing to commute, you might check out Worcester EMS, which is an all-paramedic, all 911 system in central MA's largest city www.worcesterems.com or www.ummhc.org I don't think they are hiring right now, although it's always a good idea to give them a call and confirm. There is also Action, Trinity and Patriot; although I'm not quite sure about what their ALS does in relation to the 911 contracts they have: www.trinityems.com , www.patriotambulance.com , www.actionambulance.com

Ace, you've been around longer than I have, so add anything you wish to add.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding (as a private service EMT-B) is that most private ambulance medics also work on ALS transfer trucks in addition to doing their 911 shifts. Boston EMS is a one of a kind system, and I've never ever heard of any other service (even in MA) that makes newly-hired medics work as basics first.

"edogs334",

The only thing I think that should be clarified in your post is this. The fact of whether a medic does "all 911 shifts here" or works a "dedicated shift" exclusively, and or does one transfer and one 911 shift depends on alot of factors. 1.) The comapny you work for 2.) shifts available 3.) experience 4.) Whether you have an "in", there are more and each company is different. I know some medics who have never seen the inside of an ambulance before who have walked on a job and gotten 2 "dedicated" 911 24's, and I know medics who have had 15 years and they do both 911-transfer..YMMV...

As far as Boston EMS, yes they are special, They don't feel they need accrediation or any of that other stuff, because their program speaks for itsself...besides the NE is the Mecca for medicine....LOL..Yes, they do believe this...Hope this helps,

Ace844

• 7 months later...

RichmondMedik

EMT City Freshman

ACTUALLY if you do a little research on Boston H&H you will find they are run by Boston University and are no longer under the city -- so technically they are a private service with a real big ego

Paul

Contrary to your belief RichmondMedik, Boston EMS is not run by Boston University. Boston EMS is a third service agency. The EMTs and Paramedics are city employees that fall under the umbrella of the Boston Public Health Commission. This happened when Boston "Health an Hospitals" was disbanded when Boston City Hospital was privatized and became Boston Medical Center. The affiliation between Boston EMS and Boston University is this: our medical direction comes from Boston Medical Center, and there is a deep training affiliation with BU where there are certain fellowships where they become part of the Boston EMS training division. This meaning that they provide alot of the continuing education and many studies are done using the service. At no point and time is it a private service, or was it a private service. As far as the ego's go. They are the best EMS system on the east cost, possibly the nation. So I guess the ego is deserved.

Fenway on this board if EMT's are in anyway invovled in the system it must suck. This is a pro paramedic board where EMTs cant or shouldnt make any medical decision, they should be called paramedic helpers, and there paid way to much. Well they got one thing right most of the paramedics I meet defintley need help.

Fenway on this board if EMT's are in anyway invovled in the system it must suck. This is a pro paramedic board where EMTs cant or shouldnt make any medical decision, they should be called paramedic helpers, and there paid way to much. Well they got one thing right most of the paramedics I meet defintley need help.

:roll:

I guess some of us just like to be able to provide our patients better care then oxygen and transport.

Besides, I've never gotten any flak for being a basic in any of the scenarios. Knowing and understanding the limits of 120 hours of training can be a little painful.