Boston EMS

joeydisasteroid

Yup, they do. I kinda left that out for clarity.

In Haverhill, there are 2 ALS trucks and 1 BLS truck committed to 911, and a number of transfer trucks that sometimes back them up. Haverhill FD dispatches the dedicated 911 trucks depending on how the call comes in. Haverhill also sometimes makes use of the AMR trucks in the city. Lowell has an ALS truck that gets pulled into 911 if all the BLS trucks are tied up or the Saints Memorial paramedics (a.k.a. Greater Lowell EMS) are tied up. Lawrence has a similar situation to Lowell.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, they do. I kinda left that out for clarity.

In Haverhill, there are 2 ALS trucks and 1 BLS truck committed to 911, and a number of transfer trucks that sometimes back them up. Haverhill FD dispatches the dedicated 911 trucks depending on how the call comes in. Haverhill also sometimes makes use of the AMR trucks in the city. Lowell has an ALS truck that gets pulled into 911 if all the BLS trucks are tied up or the Saints Memorial paramedics (a.k.a. Greater Lowell EMS) are tied up. Lawrence has a similar situation to Lowell.

Unless the situation has changed recently. Trinity and AMR have bad blood between them originating since the start of the contract there. As far as HFD, well the FD chief also dislikes them as while AMR still had the contract, the '911' ALS crew didn't respond to a 'chest pain' which just so happened to be a family member of one of the dept members. So they pretty much would 'staff' their own ambulance and wait for a trinity truck to clear and or call in mutual aid from Groveland, Methuen, etc.., before utilizing AMR. But again, perhaps this has changed recently. BTW, say Hi to 'Dunny' for me if you work in that system!!

Out here,

ACE844

Well, anecdotally, AMR also did a good job of not leaving resources for 911 contracts. It's not like that ever happens.

AMR - Always Maintaining Recession - Gotta keep cutting hours to keep those Unit Hour Utilization numbers up!

Sounds like your speaking as someone whose personally and up close heard the 'snip-snip' of the scissors cutting your straight and OT hrs...But hey, they're hiring medics on the North shore, well advertising anyway!!

Out here,

ACE844

Arachne:

In region 5 front line truck needs to be medic and intermediate, backup truck can be pb and they work to the medic level. Most fire dept. have pb waivers. that allow their truck to rum medic basic.

Arachne:

In region 5 front line truck needs to be medic and intermediate, backup truck can be pb and they work to the medic level. Most fire dept. have pb waivers. that allow their truck to rum medic basic.

Even for, like, dedicated ALS 911 trucks? My understanding of a PB waiver was to do Interfacility transfers at the Paramedic level, with only one Paramedic...Not 911. I knew Region 3 was a bit strict along things, but I didn't know other regions were that 'relaxed', I guess - per MA. standards.

Unless the situation has changed recently. Trinity and AMR have bad blood between them originating since the start of the contract there. As far as HFD, well the FD chief also dislikes them as while AMR still had the contract, the '911' ALS crew didn't respond to a 'chest pain' which just so happened to be a family member of one of the dept members. So they pretty much would 'staff' their own ambulance and wait for a trinity truck to clear and or call in mutual aid from Groveland, Methuen, etc.., before utilizing AMR. But again, perhaps this has changed recently. BTW, say Hi to 'Dunny' for me if you work in that system!!

Out here,

ACE844

There may be bad blood on a management level, but we get along with their crews just fine. I've seen them called when all the Trinity trucks were stuck in snow and many of HFD's trucks were stuck in snow (it was a good day for snow and a bad bad day for us), and I've seen them sent into Groveland to assist Trinity BLS when Trinity ALS was tied up.

We have a waiver that allows the medic to work with an intermediate, The second truck can be pb,and work to the medic level. We are usually so busy that the second truck does about 75% 911 and 25% als transfers.