Boston EMS

joeydisasteroid

SALARY: $637.96 per week

HOURS: 40 hrs/ wk, various shifts/days

^Directly from their employment website.

I duno about all that. Are they the only company that handles 911 calls?

Edit: Didn't see Ace's post about salary.

They are a third service agency which is a branch of the Boston Public Health/Hospitals Dept. They are the primary provider of 911 service for Boston ( meaning: Boston, Roxbury, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, Charlestown, Dorcester, Jamica Plain, Mattapan, East Boston) When they get "overwhelmed" and or need additional ALS units, their dispatcher calls and requests resources from the various privates in the metro area.

also, please see my previous posts...

Hope this helps,

Ace844

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, it was 2nd hand information. It could be the fact that he was a bit disgruntled. I agree with Dust that it would be a SERIOUS misallocation of resources to have a medic not be permitted to perform ALS interventions. Most of the big cities around here have some type of residency requirements. You have to live in Dayton city limits in order to be a city employee. Cincinnati requires you to live in Hamilton County. Many others have a time limit....ie. you have to live within 20 minutes HQ or 10 nautical miles from city bldg/HQ. There are others who don't care how far away you live. Some cities that require you to live within city limits give tax breaks to their employees.

So does Mass only use basics? And if Im living in or very near the city (as i probably will be) are there other choices of good 911 jobs? I really need a good job that has some good 911 junk goin on. I just dont really know where to start. Its so different from state to state. I dont mind doin fire but my heart is really in the medical side of things. Give me some ideas so I know where to freakin go when I get there.....IM SO CONFUSED!!!

-pocket

Fort Worth and Austin Texas both have high-volume 911 services which are separate from fire and utilize basics. So does New Orleans, as well as almost all of Louisiana, although Louisiana seems to consistently stay about a decade behind the rest of the EMS world technologically speaking. Las Vegas is private service 911. A lot of Northern California is private 911. Isn't Atlanta private or hospital based EMS? Do they not hire basics?

Well yeah....ATL has grady Ems which is based outta grady hospital. ATl fire has ALS engines that respond as well but they dont transport and often times end up getting there after grady does. When that happens they end up just being on scene help. Metro ATl is full of private as well..but some of the surrounding counties have rescues they run through the fire dept...so its kinda helter skelter...

So does Mass only use basics? And if Im living in or very near the city (as i probably will be) are there other choices of good 911 jobs? I really need a good job that has some good 911 junk goin on. I just dont really know where to start. Its so different from state to state. I dont mind doin fire but my heart is really in the medical side of things. Give me some ideas so I know where to freakin go when I get there.....IM SO CONFUSED!!!

-pocket

"Joey-pocket"

Mass uses Paramedics/Intermediates/Basics.... As far as the 911 stuff well it depends on where you live. There are alot of privates which do have 911 contracts here, but getting a 911 shift is a different matter all together. There are also alot of municipalities which are either fire or third service based as well, it's about a 60/40 mix. To be honest at the BLS level in Mass you will have a hard time finding what you are looking for. Most municipalities have gone to ALS only contracts as their primary response with BLS as back up/or coverage for 2nd and 3rd calls in the system where the dedicated Als EA is busy. There are exceptions though. At the end of thew day it all boils down to, experience, the place you are working, and whether they have an open shift in their 911 systems for you or not.....I could tell you alot more, but with out details, frankly I can't be more specific. So I would suggest taking this either to PM or that you post more info...like where you plan to live, and what you expect/your experience....etc...

Hope this helps,

Ace844

I actually like a lot of what they do. Their process is nothing if not thorough! Three months as a third-man? Now THAT is thorough! And 8 hour shifts rock. Yeah, it kinda sucks that you can't take one shift off and have a five-day vacation, but short shifts go a long way in preventing -- or at least delaying -- burnout, so they are better for the career.

By living "in the city" do you mean they have to actually live within Boston city limits, or could you live in a suburb like Cambridge or Brookline?

I like the area, but man... I just can't see living any sort of decent lifestyle there on less than $48k/yr.

"Dustsevil,"

By living in the city limits I do mean that you must live in one of the communities I aforementioned. They are all considered "Boston". No you cannot live in Cambridge/Brookline. That being said there are soem Boston EMS employees who have worked there for along time who were hired in a time when there was no residency requirement, and they were "Grand fathered" so that they donnot have to live in town. Also there was a breif period in the late 80's where it was an on again/off again policy...so it truely depends on DOH and which union contract you were hired under. As far as I can remember there has been a staedy streak which Menino has made even more strick requiring all boston Public safety personnel to live in the city since the early 90's.....Yes cost of living is high here and 48K is not alot. Although it should be mentioned that most privates here pay alot less than 48k, so living here on less is tough, but doable...Certainly you won't be living near the common, or on Newbury ST...Think nice 3 decker in Mattapan... and living right next door to your local friendly crack dealer. He in his Escalade, and you in your Hyandai!!!!! :wink: :D :shock: :idea: :idea: :!: :arrow:

As for shifts they do 8's, 10's, 12's 13's and occasionally 16's but those are rare, and shift length depends on assignment/bid...It should be noted they never allow employees to do 24's...period..

Hope this helps,

Ace844

Hi All,

I will try to give you a further idea of the "Boston EMS is the best attitude" about which I had previously posted about. As I posted recently in the "General News" section of these forums Boston EMS was sending 5 crews south to help with the post Kartina/Rita clean up and SAR effort.

At the same time Boston police worked out a feal with DHS/FEMA in which they would send LEO teams south as well. As a condition of this they demanded that they would do the following: send 1 team of 6 officers and 1 Boston EMS emt or medic. to be rotated back weekly. They stated that only a "Boston EMS personnel" were qualified and would be able to provide care for the BPD LEO's....in any situation....this is just a small glimpse at the pandemic institutional attitude at BEMS here...

out here,

Ace844

Per what I was told at the FDNY EMS Academy, the Boston EMS was actually set up with assistance from NYC EMS, way pre-merger of NYC EMS into FDNY.

If Boston follows the old, pre 1996 NYC EMS policies, EMTs and Paramedic "hires" will work for at least a year, for the street experience, at EMT level, before getting trained (or retrained) for Paramedic in the department's way ("the right way, the wrong way, the Army way", ya know).