It's dangerous out there...

P_Instructor

REDDING, California — A Cottonwood man accused of trying to kill two paramedics and an emergency medical technician by ramming his pickup into their ambulance outside Mercy Medical Center on Saturday night expressed disappointment when told no one was killed.

"That's too bad," he said. "Next time I'll drive through the front doors."

That information is included in a Redding police report issued after the Tuesday arraignment of Joel Michael Haller, 26, in Shasta County Superior Court.

Haller, who pleaded not guilty to the charges against him, including three counts of attempted murder, remains in Shasta County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

According to the Redding police report, Haller smiled and "nodded his head up and down" when asked by a police officer if he would do it again whenhe got out of jail.

But he told a witness he would wear his seat belt the next time.

Haller, scheduled to have a preliminary hearing on Feb. 29, was arrested on Saturday after allegedly plowing his pickup into an occupied and parked ambulance outside the Redding hospital.

"It was totally intentional," Sgt. Mike Wood with the Redding Police Department has said. "There's no doubt this guy did this on purpose."

Ironically, police have said, Haller was treated by one of the three men he allegedly tried to harm in the crash.

According to the police report, Haller's father told police after the crash that his son, who went to the hospital to seek treatment for a headache, has a history of mental illness and has been violent in the past.

The elder Haller said his son recently served 30 days in Tehama County Jail and had assaulted a sheriff's deputy.

In his police report, officer Justin Duval said he spoke with the younger Haller in the hospital's emergency room after the crash and asked him whether he rammed the ambulance on purpose.

"That's obvious," the officer reported Haller as saying.

When Duval asked him whether he had seen the paramedics in the ambulance, "Haller looked at me and chuckled but failed to answer my question," the police report said.

The men in the ambulance were Gregg Franz Herrman, 26, an emergency medical technician from Redding; Drew Alan Barnett, a 29-yearold paramedic from Redding; and Ryan Michael Samualson, a 35-year-old paramedic from Fortuna. Herrman was treated for back pain, while Barnett and Samualson weren't injured, police have said.

In November Haller was arrested by Tehama County deputies on suspicion of battering a peace officer while deputies conducted a welfare check on him at his Cottonwood home, the Record Searchlight has reported.

At 7:49 p.m. on Nov. 3, two Tehama County deputies were checking on Haller's welfare when he threw a rock at them but missed, according to the Tehama County Sheriff's Department.

Haller also kicked shut a cruiser door as another deputy was trying to get out of the car, deputies have said. He faces three counts of attempted murder.

Kudo's to the medic to treated the guy after he tried to kill him.

Kudo's to the medic to treated the guy after he tried to kill him.

Textbook example of Duty to Act. I'd hope to do the same thing. I tell myself I would but until it happens you don't really know. Good for them.

• Like 1

Something or someone ( in his head) is telling him to injured/kill people in uniform. That is just sad and to think he is on bail.... It's a good think they were not injured.

Something or someone ( in his head) is telling him to injured/kill people in uniform. That is just sad and to think he is on bail.... It's a good think they were not injured.

The text implies he remains in jail and that the bail is 1 million bucks - quite a figure.

Dunno if you refer to any additional information on the case you have viewed, though?

Probably the scariest call I've heard of, sort of in the same vein, was a tiny little lady medic I worked with.

I've posted about it before, but probably can't hurt to do it again.

5'1 medic, maybe 110lbs on a fat day. Picks up a patient secondary to driving his truck off into the ditch. Covered in blood. She gets the patient in the truck, starts to interrogate him about his injuries while she's cutting his clothes off and he says...

"Oh, don't worry. It's not my blood."

She says, "Oh? Who's is it?

He says, "The owner of the truck."

She says, "Where is he?"

He says, "Back at his house. I killed him and stole his truck."

Pretty hinky situation if you're built like me, but if you're hardly more than an oversized Barbie I'm guessing that the pucker factor is significantly increased.

She sneaks out of the ambulance, calls for 'everyone!' but, due to a pissing contest that happened between her and one of the dispatchers 20 years previously in high school, the dispatcher tells her that beings she's out in the county that she knows damn good and well that she has to call the Sheriffs dept herself. Welcome to small town, redneck EMS.

Not having cell service where she was, she finished stripping him, he acted fine, and she treated him for the 20 min ride to the ER. Being a good medic, and due to the fact that he seemed to be calm and subdued, during the ride she tried to extract exactly where the owner was located and the way that he had been injured in the hopes of being able to dispatch another ambulance to his aid in case he wasn't in fact dead. Though he did tell her the whole story she was unable to figure out where he was describing. The Sheriff's dept found him dead later.

She was later reprimanded at work for involving herself in police matters that didn't pertain to her patient's care and a letter to that effect put into her file. I'm sure stemming from the fact that she had to be paid for court time as well as a replacement paid for her time away. The dispatcher was given a verbal warning for refusing to send her aid.

Crazy women...

Being fired from there was the best thing that's happened to me in EMS...

Wow. Just....wow. That dispatcher makes me think unprofessional thoughts. I'd ordinarily never congratulate someone on losing a job but in this case- congrats man :)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.