Testing for response to painful stimulus

Like I've said before, in the ER, the foley catheter is the great equalizer, especially in men.

You'd have loved having me as a patient;

Nurse: Have you passed urine yet?

Me: No, this oral fluid you want me to drink so I take a slash is just making my gastroenteritis much worse

Nurse: Well, look you have to drink it or I'm going to catheter you

Me: Bloody hell no you're not, may I speak with the House Surgeon please?

Nurse: She is tubing somebody, I'll get her to come see you when she is free

Next minute ... House Surgeon

Me: Can you prescribe me a litre of fluid so I go pee and if that doesn't work you can catheter me?

House Surgeon: Sure, why you ask tho?

Me: Coz I don't like having a plastic thing shoved up my dick, you know ...

House Surgeon: Hmm yes ... are you a doctor or something?

Me: Something like that :D

Oh and a sternal rub is great for painful stimulus

Have you ever used a "Q" tip twirled just at the opening of the Nares? It takes a deeply unconscious person to not react to that gentle stimuli.

Especially the "unconscious" fake seizures. Just be care to not get sneeze on.

• Like 1

I keep waiting for the decade when the stupid arm drop test is relegated to whackerdom. Providers still bring it up, usually with a stupid grin cause they are oh so smart.

I touch the eyelashes. The corresponding reflex movement of the eyelid is enough to reassure me that my patient is protecting their airway.

I am not sure this assessment in a vacuum would reassure me that a patient is adequately protecting their airway.

I am not sure this assessment in a vacuum would reassure me that a patient is adequately protecting their airway.

yeah.. I mis-spoke. I use it as one tool.. sometimes a sternal rub is necessary, but not nearly as often as people do it. I can't tell you how many drunks come up swinging from a provider's sternal rub when one really isn't needed

I can't tell you how many drunks come up swinging from a provider's sternal rub when one really isn't needed

I and a partner have been chased down the ER corridor at Montifiore Hospital in the "Boogie Down" (Bronx), after the partner administered a sternal rub to an intoxicated "unconscious" patient. We could run faster, and Security intervened.