Let us all get along and do 'the job'

P_Instructor

News link on discrimination in my book.....If anyone can do the job in a professional and competent manner, let them do it. Carlsbad buried themselves in the cavern in my book. Waiting to see what else becomes of it.

http://www.emsworld.com/news/10618324/woman-to-sue-city-of-carlsbad-over-firefighter-paramedic-position

Yeah, though at this point we have no one's word for the fact that she smoked every single test with flying colors but her own.

I was kinda with her until she started the whole, "They stole everything from me, my house, my future...blah, blah, blah..." She lived there, wanted to work there, the article makes it sound as if she applied one time and didn't succeed. How many hosemonkeys do you know that got a really good fire job on their first attempt, not to mention passed every single qualification with flying colors? I don't know of any...the vast majority of the the few that I know applied, and applied, and tested, and tested, sometimes dozens of times, before being accepted. It sounds like being a woman got her a break and now she's pissed that it didn't take her all the way through.

I'm not saying that she wasn't discriminated against, but if that one comment is the worst that she has to pin on her shoulder, then I'd say that the harassment is bullshit. I went through orientation with a bunch of Aussie nurses the last three days and in the middle of the group one said something like, "How about a quick show of what our medic has dangling...?" "Hahahahah" All in good fun, though unfortunately no one ended up showing any parts.

But as to being buried in a cavern at this point? Yeah, it's way to early to say....but the fact that she is the first woman to be accepted either shows an unwillingness to bend standards, or an apparent patern of discrimination.

Dwayne

Yeah, though at this point we have no one's word for the fact that she smoked every single test with flying colors but her own.

I was kinda with her until she started the whole, "They stole everything from me, my house, my future...blah, blah, blah..." She lived there, wanted to work there, the article makes it sound as if she applied one time and didn't succeed. How many hosemonkeys do you know that got a really good fire job on their first attempt, not to mention passed every single qualification with flying colors? I don't know of any...the vast majority of the the few that I know applied, and applied, and tested, and tested, sometimes dozens of times, before being accepted. It sounds like being a woman got her a break and now she's pissed that it didn't take her all the way through.

I'm not saying that she wasn't discriminated against, but if that one comment is the worst that she has to pin on her shoulder, then I'd say that the harassment is bullshit. I went through orientation with a bunch of Aussie nurses the last three days and in the middle of the group one said something like, "How about a quick show of what our medic has dangling...?" "Hahahahah" All in good fun, though unfortunately no one ended up showing any parts.

But as to being buried in a cavern at this point? Yeah, it's way to early to say....but the fact that she is the first woman to be accepted either shows an unwillingness to bend standards, or an apparent patern of discrimination.

Dwayne

aussie nurses said that?

the reason they may not wanted to show is that they are use to really big things in life Dwayne....lol ;)

just jokinh mate...

how is the stay going

...the reason they may not wanted to show is that they are use to really big things in life Dwayne....lol ;)...

Actually, that's why they asked, they thought that maybe I was selling keg beer out of my shorts...

..how is the stay going

It was really good Brother. We were in the business district and were over run with beautiful women, hell even the men were cleaned up and stylish. From the looks of it it won't be long before it will be impossible to tell an Aussie from a Frenchman... :-)

But had a great time. Had dinner and drinks at the bar under the opera house...it was awesome. Where do you live?

Dwayne

I actually made a couple of comments regarding this incident on a facebook post the other day, though I'm glad to see that nobody here is getting as crazy as the folks on that facebook post were (yet).

Honestly... I have no opinion on the matter, because I don't know all of the facts. If she really was fired unfairly and sexually harassed, then I hope that the truth gets out and that justice is served; and if she is lying and full of it, then I hope that the truth gets out too, and that she either learns the error of her ways and does what she has to to fix them, or she gets out of the job. We work in an interesting field where carefully drawn lines that work just fine in an office get fuzzy, and I'm not sure that politically correct policies to prevent people from getting offended on the job fit into our profession as well as the folks who wrote them would like. All the same, if people were saying or doing things to her that made her uncomfortable and she asked them to stop, they should have; but likewise, you kind of gotta have some thick skin working in this job.

Not that she shouldn't be heard but I always have a problem when anyone state's "I was sexually harrassed" when things don't go their way. Would the shower comments be an issue if there was a letter for employment and not the ones she recieved.

• Like 1

The linked article states she was the only female in the class, and in line to become the department's first female.

1) Has she reapplied?

2) Will she reapply?

3) Have any other female candidates in a later class been identified?

Smells fishy.

I know strong young men who quit a fireman job in tears from all the crap they had to put up with. I don't know the facts but you gotta be pretty tough to be a probie in a lot of services. There are way too many firemen that think seniority gives them the right to be A-holes.

On the other hand being a chick and getting turned down for a job or expecting the knuckle draggers to treat you better than your male counterparts is the goose that lays the golden eggs, about 2 million of them in this case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.