Remember two things saying goodbye

Cookie

I have been catching up on my reading during my nearly six month hiatus during our flood. I thought this was a good video. I have always done something of the sort suggested in this video, since we are a small rural provider we know many of our patients personally, but even the ones we don't know we always take that extra little bit of time to ask if there is anything else we can do, or even make that phone call to a loved one. Many times we have gone the extra mile in helping out a patient, we did not have to we just did it because that is the type of people we are. I wonder how many do or don't?

http://theemtspot.co...saying-goodbye/

I love this concept and it's something that I do with almost every patient. An "I hope you feel better soon" or "I'll check on you later" goes along way. Sometimes call volume doesn't allow me to check back later but I almost always tell them to feel better soon.

I believe any reasonable person would not say Get Well Soon to someone who is in palliative care or incurable end stage of a disease. In these cases I would reassure them that they are in good hands with the facility, and will do their best to see to their comfort, etc.

I feel that letting the patient know that we have made a proper transfer of care is comforting to them and helps them feel more comfortable with their “new” caregivers at the hospital. In fact, I feel that the final words to the patient are integral parts of the transfer of care.

It also is common courtesy to say goodbye to a person you have just shared intimate moments with. If I was able to comfort them during the transport I like to leave them with words of comfort at my departure.

Common courtesy is always a nice thing to leave the patient with. I know they appreciate it and It makes me feel I completed my service. When circumstances do not permit a proper goodbye I feel like I walked out on an conversation mid stream and something was left unfinished even if it is simply a final hand squeeze and a smile.

I always tell them goodbye and leave them with good wishes. I have not asked them if there is anything else I can do for them. I think with some of the ones that try my patience throughout the contact, offering to do anything else would open a Pandora's box. I can see them sending me on any number of errands, none of which in a relatively high volume system I have time for. I will need to think about it. It just may take my patient care to the next level.

I typically do wish them well and ask if there is anything else I can do. Usually, the response is, "no, but thank you for your care". Other times it is something simple such as, "can I get a drink/blanket/etc". If I can get it, I do, if not, I refer them to the nurse and pass on the message.

For the patients in our county, each one will receive a survey asking about their care, so this just increases their memory of me at the event.

As has been noted above in a rural setting where we know many of our pt's as neighbors or at least in passing at the post office , church or local store, we always wish them well and inquire if they would like us to contact family for them. It takes very little effort to make a call on the ride back to the Islands and it goes a long way towards pt comfort care knowing that we will go the little extra mile for them.

It also shows in the thank you cards we receive, and the positive votes for funding at annual town meeting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.