Hot Button topic AGAIN .

tniuqs

Wearing turbans in EMS? I think it would possibly approximate being appropriate if the user was willing to sew a company patch onto it. I think it is about as appropriate as a Christian wearing a big cross on his cap while he is at work or cowboys wearing a ten gallon hat in the ambulance. Would we accept a female medic that would hide her face from her patients? What if non Muslim women decided to hide their face while on the job? Would that be acceptable.

The biggest hurdle I think is that if the turban wearing medic is working with non turban wearing people and the stereotypes that exist. How could he ever win their confidence and trust on a single ride intervention? Would the non Muslim patient be more or less comfortable by the medics attire and obvious desire to let the patient know what he is possibly more than treatment. This remark is not a personal fear but the obvious tone of the forum indicates that there is indeed a stereotypical fear among non Muslim society wither it be well founded or not.

Some jobs have work uniforms. If a person has a dress code, belief, or custom that is inconsistent with the industry standard then the person should accommodate the industry standard, not the opposite.

I am not sure that a turban would meet health standards for emergency services with all of the folds that could hide and harbor fluids and other nasties. Does anyone know?

Should we be so afraid that we are willing to accommodate an individual against established standards? If one individual gets to do what they want then all should be allowed the same freedom. Where would it ever end?

Disclaimer: I call them turban wearers because it is my understanding that Muslims are not the only ones that wear them. I could be wrong but do not wish to offend so I generalized the term.

Edited to insert disclaimer.

Have you ever been to Afghanistan, lived among the people of that country or experienced it's culture firsthand?

I have never lived in Afghanistan but would love to have the opportunity before our guys pull out. It will never happen and is not on my bucket list but would be a cool experience none the less.

Edited by DFIB

Muslims are just asserting their rights, and you should honor those rights. This woman covering her face does not harm you in any way.

Then why do they not honor our rights when we visit / live / work in THEIR countries?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's more on the original story ...

http://www.edmontonj...9296/story.html

Some jobs have work uniforms. If a person has a dress code, belief, or custom that is inconsistent with the industry standard then the person should accommodate the industry standard, not the opposite.

Perfectly put.

Edited by Siffaliss

I have never lived in Afghanistan but would love to have the opportunity before our guys pull out. It will never happen and is not on my bucket list but would be a cool experience none the less.

Do any of you lawyers out there know if there is a law or statute that states facial discovery as a legal means of identification during legal procedures. I mean we all carry picture IDs for a reason right? Defendants have the right to face their accuser. Do judges and other officials have the right to confirm identity and intent by looking at our face?

I think i will get a Dr. in a burka to take my next exam. I wonder how that will work out?

Edited by DFIB

Try wearing one during your next exam? :shiftyninja:

To take official exams one must prove identity with a picture ID. If we don't have to show our face I could get a higer level provider to take my test for me. It would of course be cheating.

A failed attempt at hyperbole.

To take official exams one must prove identity with a picture ID. If we don't have to show our face I could get a higer level provider to take my test for me. It would of course be cheating.

A failed attempt at hyperbole.

My bad, I read into it differently. Lack of sleep.

Well there is also this senerio, if a seike goes into a bar (not the they do) and are wearing a ceremonial sword, you as a bartender are not allowed to make the leave it at the door so to speak.............................

How about a cowboy with his ceremonial pistol?

Well there is also this senerio, if a seike goes into a bar (not the they do) and are wearing a ceremonial sword, you as a bartender are not allowed to make the leave it at the door so to speak.............................

But at the same time, there's not usually a problem with anyone taking a knife into a bar, provided the bartender doesn't notice. I'm sure I've done this myself without meaning to on more than one occasion. I've only seen a few kirpans, but most of them have been about as offensive as a regular folding knife. It's not like it's typically a four foot long scimitar.