Station-Safe Thanksgiving recipes?

croaker260

OK, at my service, for as long as anyone can remember, our supervisors have coordinated a real on duty thanksgiving dinner. Extra crews to cover while crews ate, deep frying/smoking/roasting turkey, all crews bringing a dish to share as well. This has grown from the "old days" of only a few stations county wide into several different dinners at "central stations" covering around 15 different units.

Anyway, the dishes are somewhat diverse with some crew members trying to outdoo eachother. We get some real tasty dishes....

Anyway, with this in mind, perhaps you do something similar where you work. If you do, please share some station-safe recipes. By station safe something you can cook and walk wayfrom if you get a call, or something you can prepare at home and cook quick-like and low fuss on duty. Not simple only for yourself dishes but something for all your crews in a big dinner situation like this.

I'll share mine in a bit.

Can't help with recipie. Eager to hear yours.

Tacos are quick, easy, tasty and safe ... till they get below the duodenum.

Edited by DFIB

Croakers Sweet Meat ( a pulled pork recipe)

Stage one:

4 pounds of pork shoulder/loin/whatever in a crock pot. I have used beef too.

Add (all mixed together:

1 can of conc. OJ

1/4 cup of balsamic venigar

1 tbs kosher salt

2 tbs pepper

2 teaspoons chipotle pepper

1 teaspoons red peper

2 shots bourbon

Water to cover meat in crockpot (2 cups minimum, but more is OK)

Cook on low for at least 5 hours , though I have cooked stage 1 for 12 hours with no problem

Stage 2: Drain meat, pull it apart into strips with fork, it should fall apart easily. Then put back into crock pot.

Add :

Add 1 can of conc. OJ

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoons chipotle pepper

1 tsp red peper

12-24 oz favortite BBQ sause and cup of water

Honey and Bourbon to taste

cook on low for at least two hours, but it will go as long as 18 hours cooking and be awsome.

NOTE: Because of the obvious problems bringing burbon into a station, I mix it up at home , cook stage one overnight before work, do stage two just before leaving for work in the AM, and let it cook in the station until ready for lunch or dinner. Today I left the burbon out of stage 2, it was still very good though the "bourbon" smell wasnt as obvious (as it was last year). :) At home I prefere it as noted above.

NOTE #2: When I use beef, I actually prefere replacing the Orange juice with apple juce concentrate, and apple vinigar instead of basalmic, and use a touch of cinnimin too. I will use maple syrup or pancake syrup instead of honey with the apple.

Other than the cooking...which is hands free in the crock pot, the prep takes only about 15-20 minutes tops.

Sorry for the typos, its very late. :)

Pre FDNY/EMS Merger, we used to have a pot-luck at the EMD. I don't really cook, so I supplied the soda (purchased at Costco, a "big box" store for those not in the US).

Afterwards, I'd take any leftovers, with everyone else's approval, to a local (by me) soup kitchen, where they became the next day's meal.

Cool tradition, sounds nice. We don`t have anything like that (but most of us are a bit lazy when it comes to cooking at the station anyways ;) ).

Most services have a christmas party off-work, though, which is sometimes in Dec.

Ed's holiday chowdah!

1- 10lb bag of fresh Maine red potatoes washed and cubed 1/2 " size

4 medium onions chopped small

2 good sized garlic cloves grated.

coarse sea salt

white pepper

fresh parsley

1/2 cup real butter

In a large cauldron or cast iron kettle slowly cook all the above ingredients until potatoes are tender and onions are clear.

1-1/2 gallons of Half & half added to above mixture, & cook over low heat for 2-4 hours, stirring frequently

Add in 1 hr before wanting to serve :

5 lbs of chowda fish [haddock, cod monk] depending on whats fresh off the boat.

5 lbs picked shrimp meat

2 pounds scallops

1/2 tablespoon paprika

additional salt & white pepper to taste.

Simmer until fish is translucent and flaking apart.

Make up a pan of fresh cornbread or Bakewell creme biscuits to go with it.

Serves 12

This is my mother in laws stuffing (it isnt really go away but it is awsome)

Night before

1 doz hamburger buns or what ever type of bread

seasoning salt

italian seasoning

pepper

crushed red pepper (all to taste)

poutry seasoning

Mix together in a big bowl and cover for the night.

1lb of butter

large onion

and Sausage meat that isn't linked, it just a package of meat (can remember what it is called)

In a large pan cook and crumble sausage add onion and butter so it all melts.

mix into bread crumb mixture and then stuff your bird

You can other things if you want but I have always found the butter and the sausage makes for a juicy bird. :)

Edited by Happiness