WHO Single-session Psychological Debriefing: Not Recommended

tniuqs

Are you suggesting that one article is sufficient as scientific proof, I am sure I can find just as many articles that point the other way.

By all means, please provide them so we may analyze and then comment. If your only rebuttal is "I can...that point the other way", then provide those articles.

Evidence, evidence, evidence...otherwise at this point in time, you have Peter Principled yourself out of every single debate/discussion/thread you have chosen to be in. It is not who yells the loudest which wins, it is the one who brings the evidence to the table yet is also willing to adjust or even change position when presented with credible, reproducible evidence to the contrary.

...why is my real life experience worth less than some academic's THEORIES ?

Because you've shown yourself to be an under educated, unethical, liar. And those are only the reasons that you've provided here at the City.

If you truly believe that statement above then you don't have the 7th grade science education, nor even the basic curiosity necessary for anyone here to be able to explain this to you.

I believe that you are even being dishonest when you claim to be a medic. I think that you're a basic in a backwoods volly system somewhere and we've unfortunately shown you the respect of allowing you to play off your little charade for a long time.

I've known some truly bonehead medics, but I've never met any that didn't have at least a Blues' Clues level of scientific education.

I'd hoped better for you, but now you're not even really trying to pretend. You simply want to muddy threads. That's too bad. I'd hoped that you'd have something to offer.

Dwayne

<snip for brevity>

Otherwise that science thing would be so much easier. For example, instead of spending all that money at CERN, we could just ask you, hey, what's going on with those neutrinos?

Note to self: Do NOT debate with systemet :devil:

• Like 1

Then what would you say about people who go to their religous leader for advice, as I imagine far more people see their pastor before they see a psychiatrists. These religous leaders are not mental health "PROFESSIONALS", but they counsel far more than the mental health community.

• Like 1

Then what would you say about people who go to their religous leader for advice, as I imagine far more people see their pastor before they see a psychiatrists. These religous leaders are not mental health "PROFESSIONALS", but they counsel far more than the mental health community.

Well I believe you finally have a tangible point, from my experience in humanitarian efforts with natural catastrophes the FIRST place the community goes is "their church" although as AK I am not a "true believer" but the clergy can provide excellent guidance on many topics, again NOT a SINGLE debrief and its ALL GOOD .. as the WHO missive clearly states.

A personal note: One of my past Councillor's was not only a United Church of Canada ordained Minister but had a PHD in sociology .. when things got rough in ICU like 8 codes a day (and I was the very last one to speak to them) and kicking out a few plugs on Ventilators it was not mandatory but I sought his council .. but we mostly shot the breeze on other topics .. and never a one visit fix and your GTG.

I clearly remember some 25 years ago "the Jasper-Hinton Rail Disaster" ps Discovery Channel Documentary has facts and figures wrong btw. I was the triage officer 98 injured (triaged and transported in an hour and 40 minutes) 19 dead I was wrong when I looked in the observation Car and counted the number of burn limbs then divided by 2 .. I only got 16 black .. oh well never was good at math.

The CISM was a "conference call" for those involved and was "facilitated" by the Hospital Administrator whose prime job was to hand out sandwiches in the waiting room ... MEH what a frigging ____ !

Wow. Now that's a shitty call.

Nobody said that psychological counseling, or pseudo-attempts at such, should be the gold standard for individuals coping with traumatic stressors. Friends, family, religious community, EMTCity... all valid means of coping, and while we don't have stats on whether that can also create issues (as I said before) it's better than bottling everything up.

Fact, that's why I went for the CISM training. People talk to me very easily, and we've got some hard core bottle-pressure-POP type folks on my team... so this give me an "official" way to help them de-cork without blowing all over the walls, so to speak...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I would say that they are going to someone with significantly more education and experience, both in life and psychiatric issues than an group of CISD counselors combined.

Though I'm not a religious person I do have two uncles that are. Both are preachers, Methodist, Baptist, and a significant part of their 4 year education was committed to psychological studies. Though I see your point, comparing them to CISD non professionals isn't accurate.

Dwayne

I respectfully disagree Dwayne, how can the local catholic priest (or any other religous leader)know what it is like in our world.  They may visit the sick and injured in the hospital, after the patient is all cleaned up and put back together, but how many have put the body of a burned child in a body bag.  

I would much rather have one of my coworkers talk to me first, rather than hear "just trust in jesus (or other diety) and all will be OK".  If that did not resolve the problem I would see a professional counselor.Do you really believe that a pastor would be better at helping me than Ruff, you, or AK ???????

Edited by hatelilpeepees

And that professional counselor knows what it's like to smell burned flesh and to be exposed to the most raw edges of humanity in the same way that EMS does?

Most good pastors don't even bring up God at first when people come to them hurting... they listen and provide validation, and then suggest coping mechanisms. Not too much different from professional psychologist, IMHO.

Just saying.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.