WHO Single-session Psychological Debriefing: Not Recommended

tniuqs

Frequently, grown men cried, which told me that they needed the moment to express what was bouncing around in their head.

As far as a grown mans tears having significance, What does that mean? We have insight to the rest of his life? What if he is emotional and cries all the time? What if he is taking hormone replacement therapy and is feeling a "little insecure"? What if he is a "big brother" plant and cries to get others to show their weakness? Do tears from a fully developed male really mean more or less than tears from any other adult?

Most seriously my coping measures and perhaps my personal longevity in this area of EMS, would be the friends that I work with, a simple hug can go a very long way, we are after all just primates and physical contact is very supportive, if one looks to studies in NICU physical contact (gestational age dependant) the "gerbils" thrive after physical contact at > 40 weeks.

Just saying the "I need a hug" should not be as tongue in cheek as I believe it was intended, perhaps should not be overlooked, (correct me if I am wrong)

We have had a tradition of EMS 'tough guys" hey this shit don't bother me .. to find out down the road that it really DID.

cheers

I live in a society where physical contact is common. The idea of personal space is not understood. Men touch a lot without in any way implying they are gay. So I get lots of hugs and give them as well. I even enjoy hugs except when followed by a pat or butt squeeze. Sorry you thought I was diminishing the healing effects of affectionate, fraternal physical contact.

Edited by DFIB

I agree with Romney, as I have been to a few of these, and I do not know of anyone who was damaged by it. It was voluntary, only people who were involved in the call were allowed to attend (no spectators), everyone was given a card with a counselor's name on it that they could see if they felt the need, so that they could remain anonymous about their pain if they wished. Grown men usually do not cry about the calls they run, so when they do it is a sign that they are significantly moved by what has occured. Does not make them mentally ill, but definitely a sign that something is bothering them. I do not know any man that cries all the time dfib, but we grow them a little tougher down here.

I agree with Romney, as I have been to a few of these, and I do not know of anyone who was damaged by it. It was voluntary, only people who were involved in the call were allowed to attend (no spectators), everyone was given a card with a counselor's name on it that they could see if they felt the need, so that they could remain anonymous about their pain if they wished. Grown men usually do not cry about the calls they run, so when they do it is a sign that they are significantly moved by what has occured. Does not make them mentally ill, but definitely a sign that something is bothering them. I do not know any man that cries all the time dfib, but we grow them a little tougher down here.

I was simply looking for clarity on the disparity of grown men and crying. A grown man could be anything and what does "grown" have to do with emotions?

Tears may are a sign of irritation and often of emotional stress. It could be anything.

Since you grow men, do you sell them or store them in a shed?

Do you live near where Romney2012 lives?

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

I agree with Romney, as I have been to a few of these, and I do not know of anyone who was damaged by it.

Did you actually follow the lead to Dr. Bryan Blesoe's Power Point Presentation what is your opinion of the EBM research that Bledsoe presents ? Just how would you be certain that there was not damaging long term effects ?

It was voluntary, only people who were involved in the call were allowed to attend (no spectators), everyone was given a card with a counselor's name on it that they could see if they felt the need, so that they could remain anonymous about their pain if they wished.

Could you please clarify for me ? This Councillor so just what level of education was this Facilitator ?

Grown men usually do not cry about the calls they run, so when they do it is a sign that they are significantly moved by what has occured.

Most seriously this could be a stereotype that you are projecting .. is that a plausible ?

Does not make them mentally ill, but definitely a sign that something is bothering them.

You are aware that being strongly affected by a series of tragic events can in the long term and does affect the longevity and productivity of those in working EMS and just how do your define "depression" is this or is this not a mental illness ?

I do not know any man that cries all the time dfib, but we grow them a little tougher down here.

Very curious statement .. so are you suggesting that regional upbringing has a strong role to play when it comes to the diagnosis of PTSD ?

I was simply looking for clarity on the disparity of grown men and crying. A grown man could be anything and what does "grown" have to do with emotions?

Tears may are a sign of irritation and often of emotional stress. It could be anything.

Since you grow men, do you sell them or store them in a shed?

Do you live near where Romney2012 lives?

A most interesting commentary ... is crying the only sign of short term depression, clinical depression or possibly be PTSD .. are there any other possible "signs" that we as co workers might observe ? ps Defib a bit of foreshadowing here if this thread continues to be active.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I wish I had thought of all of that smart stuff to say. It is just a tad more organized than "Since you grow men, do you sell them or store them in a shed?"

I could not get the Bledsoe Power Point to work and would love to see it. Any pointers?

http://www.bryanbledsoe.com/

Click on Enter Site .. Click on Handouts ... Click on CISM Debunk .. it should download my AVG security needs a prompt to allow opening .. please make note that the Power Point production is not for usage unless BEB is contacted .. knowing Bledsoe he will get back to you.

ps this is a revised PPP from the original draught .

cheers

A most interesting commentary ... is crying the only sign of short term depression, clinical depression or possibly be PTSD .. are there any other possible "signs" that we as co workers might observe ? ps Defib a bit of foreshadowing here if this thread continues to be active.

cheers

Very good point. Why would crying be more significant than other symptoms?

• Like 1

Are you freakin' kidding me? Your anecdotal observations and half baked theories are grounded in speculation and limited by the information in your own mind. Go and read the presentation and realize that if you persist in your opinion, you are bucking not only science but people who understand it and know it a lot better than you.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but there are informed and educated ones and there are ignorant knee jerk ones. Don't persist in wrongheadedness on this one. It will destroy the credibility you have left.

• Like 3

Dr. Bledsoe has a new fan!

His study is very interesting and informative. I find it interesting that I have opted for "operational debriefings" because instinctively it is what has worked for me.

In the beginning when EMS tragedy was still "very alarming" I always found solace in an informal operational debriefing with my colleagues. Knowing what I did well, what I could improve and a true understanding of operational limitations have always been key in putting traumatic events behind me.

I have never been to a CISM session and am pretty sure I never will.

Thanks for the link.

I do not know any man that cries all the time dfib, but we grow them a little tougher down here.

To the contrary I do know men that cry often. Some have deep underlying psychological infirmities but others are simply men who are brave enough to demonstrate appropriate emotion to an incident.

The idea of an adult male somehow being less intrepid, brave, strong, tough or otherwise virile simply because he is capable of outward manifestations of his feelings is not only archaic and steriotypical but intellectually offensive.

To speak of your local men as if they were a bunch of "knuckle draggers" that you somehow “grow” contributes to an overall impression that you have a very poor opinion of the men in your geographical area.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but there are informed and educated ones and there are ignorant knee jerk ones.

You have brought a tear to my eye!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.