Word(s) of the day

Work word: Erythema, referring to localized redness and swelling. Can be used to describe a hive-rash (erythematic eruption), or an infected area ("that lower extremity demonstrates erythema and edema")

Non work word: schlepp. As in, I am a go-fer, therefore I schlepp... let me schlepp my textbooks over to the library and we can study for that damn exam... my poor hubby's been schlepping me all over so I don't have to drive tired...

:-) I like this thread! What a nifty concept!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pyothorax

(n)

Suppurative inflammation of the pleural space.

actomyosin

(n)

a protein complex in muscle fibers; composed of myosin and actin; shortens when stimulated and causes muscle contractions

A protein complex of actin and MYOSINS occurring in muscle. It is the essential contractile substance of muscle.

found in Medical-Dictionary.cc

Good one. I had never heard of that before. How would someone aquire a Pyothorax?

It is also called purulent pleuritis or pleural empyema. It is an accumulation of pus in the pleural cavity. It will usually arise from an infection in the lung such as pneumonia and is often associated with parapneumonic effusions. Symptoms vary in severity but include fever, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath and diaphoresis.

It is also called purulent pleuritis or pleural empyema. It is an accumulation of pus in the pleural cavity. It will usually arise from an infection in the lung such as pneumonia and is often associated with parapneumonic effusions. Symptoms vary in severity but include fever, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath and diaphoresis.

Aside from antibiotics what treatment would be given? Would they drain it?

Aside from antibiotics what treatment would be given? Would they drain it?

Diagnosis is confirmed by thoracentesis. IV antibiotics given and a chest tube may be inserted. Chest tubes are problematic because the pus is very thick. To improve the chest tube drainage, fibrinolytics and DNA enzyme can be given intrapleurally through the chest tube to break the fibrinous septation and to reduce the pus viscosity. Although these adjunct treatments are proven effective, its administration may cause rare but life-threatening intrapleural hemorrhage and hypersensitivity reaction.

If this is insufficient, surgical debridement of the pleural space may be required. This is frequently done using video-assisted thoracoscopic techniques but if the disease is chronic, a limited thoracotomy may be necessary to fully drain the pus and remove the fibrinopurulent exudate from the lung and from the chest wall. Occasionally, a full thoracotomy, formal decortication and pleurectomy are required. Rarely, portions of the lung have to be resected.

Sounds painful...not something I want to go through.

• 2 months later...

eupnea /eup·nea/ (ūp-ne´ah) normal respiration.eupne´ic

Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers. © 2007 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

The pt states he/she is suffering from eupnea.

eupnea /eup·nea/ (ūp-ne´ah) normal respiration.eupne´ic

Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers. © 2007 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

The pt states he/she is suffering from eupnea.

Page 2 of this thread. Post number 16.