Word(s) of the day

This might not go anywhere, but I see that alot of members in this forum have trouble with grammer and spelling, so I thought it might be good to have a "word(s) of the day posted on here, as an educational tool. I am thinking we take turns, and add:

1 medical word that we would use in our work-life.

1 word that you have probably never heard of.

So here goes day 1, someone else find something for tomorrow please, who knows, we might actually learn something:

PANEGYRIC = Elaborate praise.

DIARRHEA = Watery feces

• Like 4

You mean a lot and grammar?

grammar (noun) = The study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed; morphology and sintax

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

Holy shit...I didn't notice that she was claiming to be a grammar professor, only that it was a good idea to work on it.

And those that gave negatives, I'd consider it a favor if you would explain why you did that. I'm just curious of the rationale people use when giving out positives or negatives.

I preach constantly about presentation yet when rereading my posts notice that I make a scad of spelling, grammar errors, yet I don't remember the last time someone tagged me with a negative for it.

I like this thread a lot. I think it's useful and in the spirit of the City...I don't see any reason that we should be happy to snipe over a couple of simple, common errors, do you?

Regardless (Never, ever irregardless) Without paying attention to the present situation; despite the prevailing circumstances. (Had to Google it)

Diastolic: Referring to the time when the heart is in a period of relaxation

Dwayne

Edited for double posting

Once again you are correct Dwayne. I should have resisted the initial impulse and wrote a three paragraph post about how it seemed ironic to start a thread about spelling and grammar and well.... you know. But I would have missed the chuckle.

Being honest I spell like crap. I spell especially poor when writing medical terminology because I learned it all in Spanish first. I use technology to make up for my deficiencies in writing skills.

I use spell check because I see guys I respect write long post about spelling, and how people view you because of the lack of proper spelling and how everyone will think you are an idiot for not spell checking and so on and so forth, as if running things through Microsoft Word requires any special skill.

HLPP - Please accept my most sincere apology for taking a stab at your post. I am sure it was a slight of hand on your part. But you have to admit it was pretty funny, howbeit at your expense.

The negative was not given by me. Dwayne does have a point about the rationale for giving this particular negative. Was it for content? The content seems fine. Was it for the idea? I think it is a good idea. Is it useful and have the potential of being the longest thread in the history of the City? It probably does and possibly will.

juxtaglomerular apparatus: is a microscopic structure in the kidney, which regulates the function of each nephron.

Texas Rangers just lost. Bummer.

Bummer. (Noun. slang) Any unpleasant or disappointing experience.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

Systole: The phase of the heartbeat when the heart muscle contracts and pumps blood from the chambers into the arteries.

Science: a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws. (Or alternately, Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. Richard Feynman, Nobel-prize-winning physicist.)

Dwayne

Yes, it was intentional, you guys found it quicker than i thought anyone would. Was going to mispell "spelling" but that would have been to obvious.

How many errors do you see in above sentences ?

juxtaglomerular apparatus (never heard that one, thanks for teaching me something)

Edited by hatelilpeepees
  • Like 2

glenoid cavity (or glenoid fossa of scapula from Greek: gléne, "socket") is a shallow pyriform, articular surface, which is located on the lateral angle of the scapula. It is directed laterally and forward and articulates with the head of the humerus; it is broader below than above and its vertical diameter is the longest.

Taken from wikipedia