Word(s) of the day

Isn't it funny how those who correct peoples grammar or speach often are the worst spellers and their grammar is so wrong?

Before you criticise someone about their supposed flaws, you should take a look at your own. (JMHO)

Criticise - everyone here better know the definition or a working one at least.

3rd degree heart block - One of the few ways to make a medics butt pucker up.

Another thing that causes me physical pain is the mispronounciation of common medical words. For example, I went to an ACLS course where the director, another paramedic, told a room full of physicians that his service was soon going to have the capability to perform FAST ultrasound scans, and do meth-hemoglobin co-oximetry. (It's MET-hemoglobin !!!)

Now granted, I lived in 3 different countries, seem to be completely oblivious as to how to use the "comma", and have learned both English and American pronounciations of a bunch of medical terminology in a seemingly random manner, but it's the principle of the thing. If we're going to talk about relatively complex things, and choose to use these words, then we should pronounce them correctly.

Edited by systemet
  • Like 1

...Another thing that causes me physical pain is the mispronounciation of common medical words...

Man, it's funny that you mention this. I was at an airway lecture once where the presenter kept mentioning the 'oral pharnix (fair-nix). I raised my hand and set, " I believe you meant pharynx (far-inks by my way of saying it) and he said, "Fair-nix is close enough."

I swear, it made me sick to my stomach to listen to it all through the lecture. (I was a medic studnet :-) at the time so didn't have the option of leaving.) I have no idea why that should be, as his/their behavior doesn't really effect mine. But I was so angry to see a medical provider with no respect for language.

phar·ynx/ˈfariNGks/ Noun - The membrane-lined cavity behind the nose and mouth, connecting them to the esophagus.

Dwayne

Anus is an opening at the opposite end of an animal's digestive tract from the mouth. Wikipedia

or

ANUS (American Nihilist Underground Society) Urban dictionary

Man, I've always used 'moot' incorrectly!!

See, this is a good thread. I've always used it in the context of 'Obviously no longer applies. Is no longer important."

"You know, I heard bob was going to sue that 'round earth theory' guy for queering his map sales. But I guess it's a moot point now." (Assuming the 'round world' theory has since been proved.)

Pseudoscience: A collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Dwayne

Man, I've always used 'moot' incorrectly!!

I was just thinking the same thing, then I found this:

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersideofwriting/a/mootmutegloss.htm

It sounds like it originally meant a relevant point / arguable topic, but has taken on a more modern meaning (particularly in North America), that's almost opposite.