Does Your Service Report Medical Errors To THE PATIENT ?

flamingemt2011

Race - Your point is the point I was trying to make. I guess I didn't express the idea very well. Not that we hide things from the patient but only give them pertinent information according to the current situation. Longer explanations would only delay care in most instances.

I thought maybe you were thinking along the same lines, But since i wasn't sure i clarified my stance. LOL

Race

AGAIN, remember, what you think is a medical mistake may not be a mistake!

What you consider unethical may not truly be unethical

But to go tell the patient about what you in YOUR opinion consider to be unethical or a mistake is just asking for trouble with a capital T.

You follow proper channels to report these errors, those channels protect you and your employer from bogus lawsuits or they allow for legitimate lawsuits to occur. There are proper channels to this issue.

I"m all for thinking outside the box but when you go and tell a patient about the error (if it truly was an error) then you put yourself and your service/employer at a distinct disadvantage in keeping your ass out of the poor house.

I can tell you this, if I was running an EMS System and you told the patients about every medical error without following proper channels then your butt would be out on the street quicker than you can see the door shutting behind you. You telling the patient about the error without allowing me or my service directors to properly investigate the issue puts every person at that services job in jeopardy just to assuage your guilty conscience.

I like your advocacy stance but sometimes there are times you just keep your mouth shut until all the facts are in.

Had I have told the patient about my error in giving morphine rather than valium, that patient would have no sooner than my leaving the room been on her phone with the lawyers and filing suit. Did it harm the baby, not in the least, did it harm the patient not in the least yet yes it was an error. But did it harm the patient - no so my career would have been ended or at least I'd have been fired for giving the medication error and telling the patient first without telling my boss. That's why we have procedures for these types of things.

Guess we need to change the name of this site to C.Y.A.CITY

Call it what you want but there is a reason you know what C.Y.A. Means, We are just trying to get you to see that.

Race

Guess we need to change the name of this site to C.Y.A.CITY

Yet here you are criticising us for not telling the patient yet following proper channels yet you post that you dropped an entire bag of lidocaine into a patient, lied about it, said you contaminated the bag.

Before you go and criticise us for not saying anything I believe that it is incumbent upon you to go find that patient you massively overdosed on lidocaine and tell them of your error.

Until you do that, your arguments are moot and not worth us talking about. At least none of us who have posted here have lied about overdosing a patient. Talk about being hypocritical.

It's not CYA City, it's making sure that proper channels are followed and that your service and the higher level providers are notified of the error made. If that's CYA then so be it but it protects me.

You sound suspiciously like crotchity on this topic, you haven't addressed Dwayne's questions and you continue to refuse to allow us to express our opinions of what we would do by consistently telling us we are wrong. That in my book is pure hypocrisy.

Go ahead and tell the patient that you gave them a massive overdose of lidocaine and then come back here and tell us how your service dealt with not only your overdosing the patient, but your not reporting the error and also lying about it.

I thought maybe you were thinking along the same lines, But since i wasn't sure i clarified my stance. LOL

Race

Very true, no need to risk me baiting you out. That's why you are so good.

First of all, yes I admitted my mistake, it was a long time ago, would handle differently now. Second, I hypoyhisized a serious medical mistake that harmed the patient, not a minor oops. Third, note that I asked how your "service" handles that, not the medic, bit I doubt there are many in this room whoever report it to the patient. Fourth, if u have harmed a patient, they have a right to sue. I can not tell u how disappointed in this room's members today ; I see lawyers in here not patient advocates. I know u guys and galls are better than this, change the word "patient" to "your child or your mom", and tell me u r still buying the stuff u r shoveling?

Very true, no need to risk me baiting you out. That's why you are so good.

Ehh im ok, But thanks !

Race

I care deeply for my patients but I love myself. Following procedure, protocols and proper chanels in not dishonest or stupid,but protects all involved. The oposite could be.

So how many patients have received notification by your service dfib?

Or anyone else in the room? If your system is working then surely after going through all channels, 1 patient this year has been notified?

Edited by flamingemt2011