Battery/Assault on EMS

Krysteen

I have been swung at, spit on/at, groped,you name it. I have been fortunate to have a faster reaction time then my patients or to not be caught off guard except for one. My question is to those who have been in a similar position to being spat in the face. Were there any charges or conviction to your patient against you, or were charges dropped. I know there is a law against public officers. Are we in that bracket or just another civilian? Please share your thoughts or experiences.

Hi Krysteen :) I have been pinched, scratched, bitten, punched, kicked spit at/on and groped. For the most part the patients that have done these things have had extensive histories of dementia and in these cases they cannot be held accountable for thier actions. Being groped and hit on by drunks is just a natural as well, as they are impaired by the alcohol. Although my counselor, many years ago, told me that alcohol only takes thier inhibitions away and makes it easier to act this way.

But then again, some people just dont care who they hurt.

Unfortunately this is seen as a part of the job by many. I have no problem with it coming from people who are truly sick or demented but when you are high, drunk or just an asshole you should be held accountable. I think a taser to the scrotum would significantly cut back on this kind of behavior but the constitution seems to disagree.

• Like 1

I do not have personal experience with this beyond the dementia and mentally disabled, however i worked with a medic that did file charges when his shirt and chest were shredded by a woman that had no real reason for that behavior. she was found guilty and was ordered to write a formal apology, community service, and probation for 2 yrs.

As a medic I have never been had any of the above, but that might be because they are more afraid of me then I am of them. As a bar manager it all happened to me and they weren't always drunk but they only did it once :) I dont know the laws in your area but it would be a good thing to find out and take some self defence classes and always remember your PPE.

Good luck

Hahaha, love the idea of a taser. In my toolbox though, I only have a mask, soft restraints, a little ativan, some valium and haldol, just was not within arms reach (in the rig of course). I always wear gloves, but I do not walk into every scene with a mask, gown, and eye protection. I always identify myself. Within minutes of pt contact, I had to wipe saliva from my face in all the "oh Hell no u didn't" areas. ETOH likely involved. I am well aware this comes with the job, which I thoroughly enjoy and have worked full time for 8 yrs now. This is a case of: I let my guard down, a lesson to myself and to all. The total violation and disgust you feel is terrible, but then you gather yourself and your thoughts (however disturbed they may be), continue on, and treat them with respect and dignity as a human that you were denied.

If you choose to become intoxicated, you should also be ready to deal with the choices you make and their consequences. In the eyes of the law, EMS should be considered a public servant in all states, afterall we do serve the public.

Within minutes of pt contact, I had to wipe saliva from my face in all the "oh Hell no u didn't" areas. ETOH likely involved.

I usually am suspicious when approaching a patient. Any patient: kids get anxious, drunks spill, mentals spit, aggressives hit, older ones grap and all others bleed or vomit. :)

On the last meters to the patient you usually see or smell the problem and can hold a certain distance (switching to visal/voice diagnosis first) or use another angle (outside the reach of arms and spitting). I may fix the near arm soon (taking pulse, not letting loose) and pay attention to the other arm, which solves ~50% of above problems. And don't hesitate to force them turning their face away or hold a gloved hand between them and you if they tend to spit/vomit (intentionally or unintentionally). It's always good for fast reaction to constantly have one or both hands somewhere between your two bodies. Don't turn around if in reach of the patient (needs scene management skills with placing the equipment or team work). Having escape routes help (watch out for equipment), even if it's just a few quick steps back.

Again: that's not a procedure just for aggressive situations, but even for the nice little old lady sitting in her armchair. She will spit & grab, too.

Seems to work: until now I had just few stains from such events. Never in the face, some on the shirt, most on the gloves (but that's what I wear them for). Occasionally by kneeing into something that just happened before.

I think, most partners think I'm too suspicious with patients. But I have my share of stories - however, I always "won" until now, some of those partners not.

In the eyes of the law, EMS should be considered a public servant in all states, afterall we do serve the public.

They want to change it here soon. Until now only law enforcement officers are specially covered in the book, the change to include EMS and firefighters is on the way. But just higher punishment afterwards still won't let you stay clean/uninjured before.

NY State law has assault on EMTs and Paramedics is a "Class D Felony".

While I don't know what the jail time is, I've been assaulted twice, once by an ambulating intoxicated man who didn't want to let us put the seat belt on him, punched me in the mouth, and a woman already under arrest for Domestic violence (beat up her wife), Assault, and Assault on an NYPD cop, while under the influence of ETOH and unknown "sick bird" (Ill Eagle) recreational pharmaceuticals, as well as in pain, having been pepper sprayed in the eyes by the assaulted officer's partner. She kicked me in the stomach, as my partner and I transferred her from the ambulance stretcher to the ER examining table, which sent me across the ER, in full view of numerous nurses, doctors, hospital security, and NYPD cops, as well as the patient's mom, who videotaped it, ostensibly to record the "Police Brutality" being inflicted on her daughter. (The mom, a hospital employee, was arrested for the unauthorized camera in the ER)

In the first case, every FDNY EMS unit from my station responded, and the local NYPD patrol car only responded to find out why 4 additional ambulances and their supervisor had arrived, traveling at full Emergency Response Mode, to a dead end street, as EMD never relayed that PD was needed (subject of another string!). My lieutenant prevented me from filing charges (!) as the guy was intoxicated and probably wouldn't remember the incident.

In the second case, I went off service due to sick or injured personnel, and got 14 working days off for a Line Of Duty Injury (LODI). As the woman pleaded guilty on the other charges, I never saw the inside of a courtroom, and she went to jail for an unknown period of time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.