Defibrillator and hairy chests problem

Matthew99

That's what the expired dfib pads are for. You put them on the pt.'s chest and then rip the hair off and then place the good pad where you need it to be. Try getting the pads to stick when the pt.'s skin is slimy....that's more fun.

Unfortunately, that is not likely to work. I don't know why this idea continues to make the rounds, but this method is unreliable at best.

Take care,

chbare.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never shaved anyone prehospitally and have never had a problem defibbing. Maybe it's a function of how much gel and adhesive is in contact with the skin but I seem to have far more problems with the electrodes staying put than the defib pads.

When using the paddles it was easier to ensure good contact, but even with the defib pads, and now the combination pacer/defib pads attached directly to the monitor it seems to be OK. I really mash down on the pads to ensure good contact, no arcing, and the best possible delivery of the "edison medicine".

I think the scissors idea is best. Although I'm not entirely sure whether scissors can cut the hairs short enough? and I'm talking about the medical scissors you generally use

5542325.jpg

Thats them, honestly, takes 5 seconds and there should always eb a few pairs of these floating sround and they cant go flat, break, jam the only thing they can go wrong is that they are none in the truck

I don't know about everybody else, but I've NEVER had a problem shaving anybody, for defibrillation or for 12-Lead acquisition, with the 15 cent, single bladed disposable razor that my company provides us in our monitors. Sure, you need to knock the hair out every few strokes (swiping it backwards across a towel, or the pt's shirt, or the carpet, or whatever, works well for this), but they're quite effective, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Agreed chris .. much to do about nothing .. if you have fur like a bear the wife will definatly not mind if when having chest pain steps are taken to cover all the bases in good patient care.

Ditto on the ability to shave what you need with the cheap razor. My two cents is to get a single blade.

Twice now, we've been lucky enough to have a pt go down in a salon and we just used their shears to get the job done! :D