Defibrillator and hairy chests problem

Matthew99

So we studied how use defibrillators today. After class I thought it was kinda funny that we're only given a lousy shaving razor to shave the patient before applying the pads. I mean, what if he's really really hairy and all you got in this lousy shaving razor? it's gonna take forever before you can apply the pads. Shouldn't every defibrillator include a more serious razor blade? Maybe cold wax strips?

That's what the expired dfib pads are for. You put them on the pt.'s chest and then rip the hair off and then place the good pad where you need it to be. Try getting the pads to stick when the pt.'s skin is slimy....that's more fun.

Unless your company is buying their own cheap razors, all of the razors I've seen with the defib equipment, even if they looked ordinary were pretty aggressive.

You certainly can rip the hair off, and it may be the better way, but it's guaranteed to generate complaints from that patients family...'specially if it's their mom you're working on... :-)

Dwayne

• Like 1

FMC164! You're so sadistic!

I know, it's a female thing. LOL.

I have seen electric razors on some ambulances. I don't know how well they work, I don't use one myself. Agree with Dwayne. The one's we have work pretty well. Also, the 12-Lead guru Bob Page says using an alcohol prep will help the electrodes stick. I dunno though, never tried it. As I stated, our razors work pretty well. Don't use the alcohol AFTER shaving the chest though! Well, FireMedicChick164 might.

save yourself some time and trim it short with scissors. You dont need to remove all the hair, just enough to prevent air spaces between the pad and the skin to prevent arcing. Also, any nicls/lacs you mkae with the razor may call arcing as well.

Funny story i got told, back in the 70's, mate of mine did one of his first arrests, went into this house lifepak 5 in hand, pulled out that shitty single bladed disposable BIC razor, whipped of the hair, stuck those gel pads down, got an output and took him to hospital. When they got to hospital, the doc noticed a bit of blood seeping from under the pad. When the tok it off they found out in the haste to shave the chest, they had cut the patients nipple off!

Bushy's right. You're not going for a clean shaven chest. You just want to remove enough hair to get the pads to stick effectively. My experience is similar to Dwayne's as well. The blades we had were pretty aggressive. It didn't take a lot of effort to shave off a good patch of hair.

Well one good thing about being here, the Natives are not Hairy, they might have a little tuff in the middle but thats about it.

I like the idea of keeping the outdated ones though just in case a hairy one comes along. I will now look at the razor with new respect when going near the nipple area...... that just made me cringe :)