Stage Collapses

tniuqs

Here in Belgium a storm caused 2 tents and several trees to collapse on the 60.000 men audience at Pukkelpop last thursday, killing 5 and leaving 3 on life support, 11 on IC care and 140 hospitalized for fractures, lacerations etc. The storm just snapped 10 inch trees and trew them in the audience...

I was on duty that day but a lot of my colleagues were working on the festival while others were attending, they acted great and with the help of many policemen, firemen, medics and docters from the audience there was a large medical post in a nearby spots hall, all help was fast and ran super except for the shortage on medication at one point in time...fireman/emt from my department called it "war medicine"

This was a short burst of thunder storm up to tornado speeds which is as good never seen here in Europe...

A big thumbs up for all of my colleagues and other responders...

The sound you hear is the wind, this happened around 18.00, sunset is around 19.30 these days but it was pitch black...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the underlying causes of these collapses have been weather related. Do we see a theme here?

And crotchity, you are spot on on your post.

60K people per year I believe are killed in the automobile, why don't we have a outcry over this? What about air travel, in a single plane crash there is likely to be 100 people killed.

Do we see a theme here?

As far as I can see the theme is that God does not like country and rock music? When the opera collapses next week we can be sure he hates music :P

MY point all preventable loss of life and injures affecting may for years.

I contributed to the fund for the woman that lost her life in Camrose, she a single Mom and had won a stage pass on a local radio show, other wise she could not have afforded to go, her 7 and 9 year old were so happy for her.

... hello crotch ... get the picture <insert explanitive> starting with 6 letter in the alphabet and ending the same .

cheers

ff ? dont get it ! Oh, "F Off", hope you dont kiss your kids with that mouth. I hate to see anyone die, but we all have to do it, all I am saying is that accidents happen, and we should not overreact everytime some dies from a freak occurrence. If you felt compelled to send money, light a candle, say a prayer, or write a song, there is nothing wrong with that.

ff ? dont get it ! Oh, "F Off", hope you dont kiss your kids with that mouth. I hate to see anyone die, but we all have to do it, all I am saying is that accidents happen, and we should not overreact everytime some dies from a freak occurrence. If you felt compelled to send money, light a candle, say a prayer, or write a song, there is nothing wrong with that.

But when the same "freak occurrence" happens 3-4 times per year, I think we can stop calling them freak occurrences and start addressing real risks in live outdoor entertainment and how to mitigate further loss of life.

No when a freak occurrence occurs 3 times in 30 years, it is still a freak occurrence, even if all 3 occur in the same year. Actually we may even be able to go back over 40 years, I do not remember what the first outdoor concert was, but Woodstock comes to mind as one of the biggest in my era.

Nevermind, I just found the answer : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival

so we have had 44 years of outdoor concerts and a handful of stage collapses.

Sounds like going to a concert outside in the pouring rain and strong winds is safer than driving your car, walking down the stairs, flying in a plane and drinking super hot coffee from mcdonalds.

This was a short burst of thunder storm up to tornado speeds which is as good never seen here in Europe...

My friends who study weather tell me that there is no such thing as "Tornado speed" winds. A Tornado is a very specific type of storm artifact, which can generate a concentrated wind funnel, "cyclonic" in nature, from a hundred feet to over a mile in area, which travels along at speeds no man can outrun, or even some fast horses. The winds of the tornado can range from 100 to an estimated 300 MPH, distroying any structure in it's path.

There have been storms studied, where, instead of cyclonic action, it was just a straight wind, as distructive as a tornado.

There is, however, Hurricane force winds, which is wind moving at least 74 Miles Per Hour. Puerto Rico is threatened by a storm that might actually end up being a hurricane, as I type this.

Just for examples, may I suggest you do some lookups at Youtube.com?

On a small sidenote, just the darkness suddenly on the crowd, and the winds heard in the video link you supplied, is frightening.