Has this ever happened to you?

FireMedicChick164

I had the weirdest experience the other day and with 12 years experience as a tech this was a new one for me. Wondering if this has ever happened to any of you before.

I have been a vollie in my local FD for the last 12 years. I was teaching (as my paid job) until recently when I quit to take a job as a AEMT full time working overnight shifts doing job site medical (which I love). The last week has been a little stressful...working 12 hr shifts and not getting much sleep in between. So Sunday I worked 9 hrs, then Tuesday 12 hrs. Wednesday into Thursday 12 hrs then picked up an 8 to cover someone else (with a four hour break in between). This is not my normal schedule as I was covering a site that I don't normally work. Next week I am back to my normal site/hours!

Here is where it gets interesting:

I had gone home after one of my shifts to sleep (I had 12 hours off) and was asleep for 2 1/2 hours when my FD pager activated. I remember hearing my pager go off and then the next thing that I know I am standing in the middle of the ER that wen had transported the patient to. I have no recollection of the 45 minutes that I was on the call, don't remember anything that happened, don't remember talking to the patient or any of the crew. There were 2 other techs on the call so I didn't have to write out the paperwork. Apparently I was acting perfectly normally and no one had a clue what had happened.

When we got back to the firehouse I mentioned it to my 1st Lt. (I'm the Captain currently) as he has been in this line of work for 25 years. He didn't seemed too concerned and said I was acting like I do on every call I go on. I then spoke to two of my other friend who are medics and they both said it has happened to them before. Both said it happened to them when they were over tired/sleep deprived. I could totally see that feasible as I had gotten 6 hours of sleep in 3 days.

Any thoughts??

2 things.

First, GET MORE SLEEP. I know sometimes you just can't but trust me you need to find a way to get it. Even if it is just a cat nap after the call while they do the paper work or on the ride back on the cot. Talk to some of the nurses and Doctors that do 24's or longer shifts. Some find that even just closing their eyes for 5 minutes revives them. Sleep depervation can lead you to nasty things. Besides feeling like your drunk (research has shown sleep deprived folks act like they have had 3 strong drinks) it can lead to real health effects. Heart Disease, Stroke, High Blood Pressure, Obisity, Mood Swings, Irritablity to name a few.

Second, it goes to show just how ingrained your training is. Without recollection of the call everyone said you acted normal which means, at least to me, you did a good job. Your knowledge is so ingrained it is now second nature to you. You can perform your duties without having to think about them. I would want you on my rig.

I have not had it happen to me in my EMS years but have had it happen before outside of my duties. I once woke up, got dressed, drove the hour to work, and finally "woke up" and wondered what the hell just happened. Freaked me out a little.

Had a patient once who didn't get a lot of sleep. (the patient) was die hard about staying awake to get more accomplished, then began to develop dizziness and migraine like headaches and laid down for a nap. (the patient) then proceeded to answer (the patients) cell phone, work calling to ask where (the patient) was. (the patient) was standing along the road, and kept going into phases where (the patient) would be somewhere else, without realizing (the patient) was walking. OR DRIVING. Absence seizures, apparently, along with whatever the hell (the patient) took to stay awake. (the patient) was some sort of civil engineer - I wish I knew what they were building, so I could avoid it. Drove about 150 miles east, and I have no idea what happened to the car. The state police found (the patient) sitting along the road, in a ditch, unresponsive. (sleeping). It was freezing outside, luckily whoever (the patient) called, turned it into a 911 center, who in turn triangulated his location by calling the cell phone. (the patient) stated that (the patient) went to bed, and the next thing (the patient) knew, (the patient) was in the ditch. (the patient) said (the patient) remembered being unaware of where (the patient) was, but thought (the patient) was dreaming.

Edited by 2c4

Gee I got to try this sleep deprivation thing sounds awesome, and a much lower cost than my present medications :bonk:

Seriously if your that wasted best book off duty, you could be a hazard to yourself and patients, chronic sleep deprivation can lead to psychosis.

Not to forget to mention my call yesterday "buddy" rolling a car after falling sleeping at the wheel just a good thing he didn't paste anyone head on, on my "Death Highway" 63.

its happened to me before, last recollection was laying down, next thing i know im standing in the plant room next to the ambulance, scared the hell out of me.

As has been said you were operating in a sleep deficit. In all likelihood this was the cause of your issue.

Needless to say this is a particularly dangerous situation for you, your coworkers, your patients and others on the road.

Get some sleep. I know you said you were covering others and not on your normal schedule. But it is irresponsible to respond if you are not rested and capable of functioning clearly. You do not have to respond to every call. In fact, you have just as much a duty to not respond if you are impaired. You wouldn't go if you'd been drinking, correct? So why go when you're so tired you're not awake enough to be self aware?

Good luck. And enjoy your nap.

Edit: spelling error.

Edited by paramedicmike

Years ago I had to meet a deadline and knew I could only meet it by not sleeping, I investigated that astronaughts when in space sleep 20 min every 4 hours. They could do this indefinitely. I tried it for four days and it worked pretty good for me. At the end I was tired but only slept my normal 6 hrs once I got home.

I have "lost time" while driving for long periods of time. I have arrived at my destination but don't remember the last three hours of driving. Passengers said I seemed normal.

I lost 2 days in the 80's after taking Halcion but that is a different story. I took and passed a microbiology test and don't remember any of it.

Sleep every chance you get. When traveling wiht a partner I do the 20 min sleep per four hours activity and it works well.

I should clarify my above comments. As a volunteer you don't have to respond to every call. As a paid provider you should be well rested enough prior to the start of your shift that it shouldn't be an issue. (Yes, I understand that shift length can be an issue. That, however, is a discussion for another thread.)

I should clarify my above comments. As a volunteer you don't have to respond to every call. As a paid provider you should be well rested enough prior to the start of your shift that it shouldn't be an issue. (Yes, I understand that shift length can be an issue. That, however, is a discussion for another thread.)

Volunteers should be just as responsible as paid personnel. Just because we don't get paid doesn't mean our behavior should deviate from professional or the scope of practice. Where I live we volunteers set the bar for our service.

We live with the same scenarios and the same work related situation so volunteers should take care of ourselves as well, probably more because we are damaging our health for free.