Time Factor

Hey guys!

I was just wondering wether you are working on a certain time factor in your company?

For example: For my 10 hour day-shift, I get accounted only 7.4 hours. For the 14 hours night-shift, it`s 10.36 hours.

Here, time factors are very common - and equally despised (as you can imagine) by the EMS personnel. :wacko:

Very few areas get accounted their whole shift in actual "counting" hours, though there are vast varieties between the actual factor.

So, what are your experiences on this field?

Accounted is the same as hours worked? Are you working just 7.4hrs in a 10hr shift or receiving 7.4hrs of pay for 10hrs of work?

If you've worked 36.5hrs in a week; by law you're suppose to get 36.5hrs of pay (at $10/hr, you're entitled to $365.00 gross salary)...

File for a pay adjustment or salary discrepancy with payroll...

Get them to backpay you; gonna be a process...

We work 24 hour shifts. Accordingly, we are paid for the entire duration of the shift regardless if we are running calls or in bed. 24 hours worked = 24 hours paid.

For crew who work 8.5 hours (black/yellow watch) they are paid for 8 hours (thirty minute lunch break unpaid) and for the crews who work 12 hours (red/brown and blue/green watch) they are paid for 11.5 hours with one of the two thirty minute breaks being unpaid

Yeah, I suspected that much, that this procedure isn`t that common in the US.

It`s not really a matter of pay (in the imminent month), since we have a fixed salary. There is something like a "hour account", with plus and minus hours. The ultimate goal would be to have a zero there (though that`s kind of unrealitstic). In theory, if you have many +hours, you should get more freetime - on the other hand, if you have more -hours, you would have to work more. Since there isn`t that much personnell around here, getting more freetime to delete your +hours is seldom, while having many -hours is even more seldom. Once a year, you get your overtime hours paid out.

Still, every month there`s a big discrepancy between the hours I`ve actually spent at work, and the hours that "count".

For example, this month I`m going to work 250 hours, but there are only around 200 left after applying the time factor.

Yeah, I suspected that much, that this procedure isn`t that common in the US.

It`s not really a matter of pay (in the imminent month), since we have a fixed salary. There is something like a "hour account", with plus and minus hours. The ultimate goal would be to have a zero there (though that`s kind of unrealitstic). In theory, if you have many +hours, you should get more freetime - on the other hand, if you have more -hours, you would have to work more. Since there isn`t that much personnell around here, getting more freetime to delete your +hours is seldom, while having many -hours is even more seldom. Once a year, you get your overtime hours paid out.

Still, every month there`s a big discrepancy between the hours I`ve actually spent at work, and the hours that "count".

For example, this month I`m going to work 250 hours, but there are only around 200 left after applying the time factor.

Yeah brother, I don't know where you're from, but unless they are paying you a ton of money for each accounted hour I'd tell them to blow it out their ass. I am full grown, educated and have a family to feed. You never, ever get my time without paying for it...(Well, unless it comes with a happy ending.) And I can't imagine an employer with any respect at all for their employees ever asking such a thing. have you asked your supervisor, or whoever is in the office how many hours/month they choose to donate?

The exception would be super rural where you get paid to stage at home. Smaller amount of money for doing nothing but being ready and then and adjusted rate if you have to run calls. Otherwise, I can't really imagine it...

What makes an hour accountable as opposed to non?

Dwayne

Yeah brother, I don't know where you're from, but unless they are paying you a ton of money for each accounted hour I'd tell them to blow it out their ass. I am full grown, educated and have a family to feed. You never, ever get my time without paying for it...(Well, unless it comes with a happy ending.) And I can't imagine an employer with any respect at all for their employees ever asking such a thing. have you asked your supervisor, or whoever is in the office how many hours/month they choose to donate?

The exception would be super rural where you get paid to stage at home. Smaller amount of money for doing nothing but being ready and then and adjusted rate if you have to run calls. Otherwise, I can't really imagine it...

What makes an hour accountable as opposed to non?

Dwayne

Yeah, it´s a hell of a system, but that`s the most common concept in Germany (at least in the areas I know of), except for some lucky guys (mostly in the south-east of germany, located on the border to austria... :whistle:)

However, there were even worse times in the past. I know of an EMS provider firm, having 24-hour-shifts and only getting paid the time they were actually on the run (that was a big city, so they had a fair amount of cases, but still).

Seeing that the work market has changed in the last years (especially in the more rural areas), we possibly can hope for some changes in the near future (otherwise they won`t get their manpower anymore).

Hey guys!

I was just wondering wether you are working on a certain time factor in your company?

For example: For my 10 hour day-shift, I get accounted only 7.4 hours. For the 14 hours night-shift, it`s 10.36 hours.

Here, time factors are very common - and equally despised (as you can imagine) by the EMS personnel. :wacko:

Very few areas get accounted their whole shift in actual "counting" hours, though there are vast varieties between the actual factor.

So, what are your experiences on this field?

So let me get this straight, you get paid for 74% of the time you work for a 10 hour shift. So the other 26 percent is volunteer work so to speak.

I'd be a bit upset too.

Never heard of that practice. If we are on duty for our 48 hour shift, we get paid 40 straight time and 8 hours OT. Since we are required to take any call at any moment in the 48 hours, there really are no guaranteed breaks or naps. We just get what we can get. And, last night, I got 7 uninterupted hours of sleep. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.