Social Experiment

flamingemt2011

No I have no agenda, nor will I make any comments or steer the direction of the conversation, I leave that totally to you. I am posting this third picture, I will then sit back and watch the conversation. I have watched this before and the interesting results you get if people are honest. So again, this is not a trap, or a setup, talk among yourselves and have fun.

So what is the point of this "social experiment" ?

#1 appears to be a middle class family from suburbia that would like you to think they are outdoorsman. Jeep commander is not the vehicle of choice of trailer trash rednecks.

None of them spend much time outdoors [pale pasty skin, no tan lines on arms] .

#2 Could be anyone but a serious biker who rides with a club or gang. Can't tell from the colors on his vest as we can't see them. Could be a stockbroker or a drug dealer or anything in between. Expensive Harley Davidson full dresser.

#3 could be an institutional setting, but no bars on the windows. Kinda looks like several of my regular customers.with a fear of running water & soap.

So what is the point of this "social experiment" ?

Dont think there is one turnip.

The only 'conclusion' I can foresee coming from this little 'social experiment' is to see how many will attach labels and how fast they can do it. At the end, I fully expect 'flaming' to show us the errors of our ways by revealing just how WRONG we really are for judging and labeling people based on nothing more than appearance.

Once this has been done, I fully expect a scathing lecture on how we're so wrong about labeling the GLBT crowd based on appearances. There's a difference between advocacy and just looking for somthing to fight about, and it looks like this is just looking for trouble.

He can tell me that there's no 'hidden agenda' till he's blue in the face, but I'm not buying it. A 'social experiment' like this only serves to bait the participants into a big knock down drag out fight because 'flaming' had to stir the pot one too many times...

I fail to see how asking the participants to 'label' someone based on appearances only, will serve any productive purpose; and for that reason, I will refrain from playing.

From where I sit, this smacks of nothing more than a game of "I Told You So" combined with an opportunity to throw words like 'prejudice, bigotry and discrimination (in all of its variations)' around.

• Like 2

Not playing. A thumbnail picture, with no context? Forget it.

In the real world, we DO make snap judgments about people- based on appearance, what they say, how they dress, what situation they are in, how we meet them, etc. So yes, we do unfairly characterize someone based on initial impressions, but we also have other information such as visual and auditory cues.

Example- the picture of the biker, among hundreds of other bikes. Could be from a huge biker rally as in Sturgis, or it could be from a gay LeatherMan's convention. Context.

Guys dressed up as hunters? Rednecks? Could be a well respected trauma surgeon I know who dresses exactly like that when he hunts.

Based on your prior comments here, pardon me if I don't believe you do not have an ulterior motive with your "social experiment".

State your point.

• Like 1

Could be a well respected trauma surgeon I know who dresses exactly like that when he hunts.

I had a professor at Long Island University, always dressed in a 3 piece business suit, with a bowtie, and his wife dressed similarly formal. Always seemed a bit incongruous, seeing them in front of my mostly jeans and T-shirt clad classmates.

Then, came the summer day I was coming home from my overnight tour, and found the two of them on the line awaiting the bus, both in cut off jeans, and tie dyed tank tops. Admittedly, they were heading to the beach, but if I hadn't known them as professors, I never would have pegged either of them as educators by their dress that morning.

Dont think there is one turnip.

Personal entertainment perhaps ?

I had a professor at Long Island University, always dressed in a 3 piece business suit, with a bowtie, and his wife dressed similarly formal. Always seemed a bit incongruous, seeing them in front of my mostly jeans and T-shirt clad classmates.

Then, came the summer day I was coming home from my overnight tour, and found the two of them on the line awaiting the bus, both in cut off jeans, and tie dyed tank tops. Admittedly, they were heading to the beach, but if I hadn't known them as professors, I never would have pegged either of them as educators by their dress that morning.

Exactly my point, Richard. This surgeon was a soldier wanna be. He absolutely LIVED for paintball. Fully cammo outfit, goggles, top of the line weapons, and from what I hear he was a raging lunatic at these paintball games. I saw a picture of him in full attire and he looked like he was posing for a "Redneck Monthly" magazine cover. LOL

I think the poster is simply trolling here, and I'm not playing.

First, being a southern born and raised redneck, I take offense at the stereotyping. Suppose I said that everyone who lived north of a certain arbitrary line on a map was a rude, thoughtless person who did not know how to drive, speak the language properly or enjoy a decent glass of iced tea? Yes, all of yoins up thar caint talk no good Anglish. <_<

EXPERIMENT PICTURE # 1:

This is obviously a man and his kids out for a fun day of plinking. No, he's not hunting. No hunter in his right mind would go shirtless. They are proudly exercising their constitutional rights and enjoying it. They don't appear to be the militant type. In fact, it is impossible to tell what their social and economic status are. Although, judging by the weapons and the Jeep, they would seem to be middle class.

I did notice that the girl was wearing what looks like culottes ... that comes from fundamental Christian or Mormon. However, the man is shirtless. That is not fundamental Christian or Mormon.

EXPERIMENT PICTURE # 2

No context was given so assigning a label would be morally wrong.

EXPERIMENT PICTURE # 2

Aside from assuming this guy was in a bad way of some kind... No context was given so assigning a label would be morally wrong.