Dermabond

squire

Closing open wounds in the field, I believe, is simply too risky for a variety of reasons. The largest concern I would have is infection even if we do give preventative antibiotics to every patient whose wound we close. The field is just not the place for this type of procedure. We need to be aware of the right treatments to implement in the field without risking our patients' health just for the added convenience or just for the sake of enlarging our scope of practice. There are of plenty of things that should be added and can be added safely to our practices but this is certainty not one. Safety first!

Closing open wounds in the field, I believe, is simply too risky for a variety of reasons. The largest concern I would have is infection even if we do give preventative antibiotics to every patient whose wound we close. The field is just not the place for this type of procedure. We need to be aware of the right treatments to implement in the field without risking our patients' health just for the added convenience or just for the sake of enlarging our scope of practice. There are of plenty of things that should be added and can be added safely to our practices but this is certainty not one. Safety first!

Great first post man! Welcome to the City!

2c4, I'm not sure why, when you state over and over and over that you would never seal a wound/lac, that you would specifically order something online that is made specifically for sealing wounds/lacs?

Dwayne

Great first post man! Welcome to the City!

2c4, I'm not sure why, when you state over and over and over that you would never seal a wound/lac, that you would specifically order something online that is made specifically for sealing wounds/lacs?

Dwayne

I meant I wouldn't use it on a patient. I, however, would rather treat myself, than go to an ER for extremely minor injuries.

and the right circumstances are? passing the buck man, as to protocol.

if you work rural yes. if not, there is no need. nurses screw this up everyday in the two states ive ran 911 in.

its same as anything else. you make do with what you have. if you have to ask, esp if you are a parapatetic then you are in wrong biz.

period.

and yes. i am a know it all.

My understanding is that trained healthcare personnel can use it. Let me know what you think.

That would be EDUCATED healthcare personnel, not "trained" firemen. Two very different things.

Except for very advanced practitioners, operating in extremely remote and/or austere conditions, with strong medical oversight, I would never approve this for the multitude of reasons already mentioned. And the number of medics that I personally know, and would trust with this, would not use up my fingers and toes.

Got a friend with no health insurance. Works on cars. Patched together 2 different deep lacs for him with superglue (after irrigating and disinfecting). Watched them EVERY DAY for signs of infection- he was headed for the ER if I saw even a hint of it.

Something I'd advocate for paramedicine? No. Too risky. Something I'll use on a friend, who asks me to do it, who I know won't sue me? Occasionally, and only if I feel comfortable with it. We've been lucky that he HASN'T had any infection from those injuries, and without someone to monitor it daily I wouldn't have done it. So, a treat and release is not an option, really... unless you're wanting to come back for daily follow up care.

This is why we need public health interface roles... then it would be viable...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Got a friend with no health insurance. Works on cars. Patched together 2 different deep lacs for him with superglue (after irrigating and disinfecting). Watched them EVERY DAY for signs of infection- he was headed for the ER if I saw even a hint of it.

Something I'd advocate for paramedicine? No. Too risky. Something I'll use on a friend, who asks me to do it, who I know won't sue me? Occasionally, and only if I feel comfortable with it. We've been lucky that he HASN'T had any infection from those injuries, and without someone to monitor it daily I wouldn't have done it. So, a treat and release is not an option, really... unless you're wanting to come back for daily follow up care.

This is why we need public health interface roles... then it would be viable...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Continuing to play the Devil's Advocate, why would the patient need daily follow up care to check for infection?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.