Safest vehicle?

buckle823

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think perhaps the OP is simply looking for a reason to justify to his/her spouse the expense of an F-350 dualie.

This is a good site to reference when considering crash safety ratings of vehicles. They don't use the standard government crash test. They try to simulate a more real world experience in their crash testing. As such, many of the manufacturers don't like the work done by the IIHS because the results can often change the safety perception of a given vehicle.

There is also plenty of evidence out there supporting the inherent danger of a larger vehicle with regards to roll over potential. There was a huge controversy several years about about the Ford Explorer and their tendency to roll. Larger vehicles will roll more easily.

If you're seriously concerned about keeping your kids safe from an auto accident then best thing you can do is never put them in a motor vehicle. There is always a threat to the occupants of any motor vehicle.

Any experienced provider here will tell you that s/he has seen people walk away from the most awful looking motorcycle accident and people die in the most minor of fender benders. It's not always the car that's the deciding factor. Please consider the type of driving you'll do and where you'll be driving when making your decision as that is important, too.

Mike, incorrect assumption. I have no desire to drive a vehicle with dual rear wheels since the ride would be terrible, and it would be a pain to park. I'd drive a Geo if I thought it was safe. I just think in a car vs. truck accident, it would be safer to be in the truck. But I'm sure there are a million different variables. Point taken.

Edited by buckle823

Go for cars like Volvo's or Subaru's. They are pretty well known for safety. Personally, for family's I'd recommend the Subaru forester. Nice alternative to an SUV and it's a lot safer. As far as trucks are concerned, they really aren't all that safe. Sure if you hit bumper to bumper at low speeds you'll be ok, but hi speed with a big truck like that means HUGE high center of gravity problems. Go with what works for you. This is all opinion on my part.

Agreed ... quoting someone in EMT city ... 4 wheel drive does not mean that you can STOP faster .

About the only thing 4WD is good for, is mud, and deep snow. But if there's any ice, at all, involved. You're just as screwed as the rest of us.

I'd suggest an enclosed, armor plated Unimog with tracks, a roll bar, and a top speed of 15mph. Can't possibly go wrong. Just slap "Radioactive" placards all over it, and everyone will leave you alone.

About the only thing 4WD is good for, is mud, and deep snow. But if there's any ice, at all, involved. You're just as screwed as the rest of us.

I'd suggest an enclosed, armor plated Unimog with tracks, a roll bar, and a top speed of 15mph. Can't possibly go wrong. Just slap "Radioactive" placards all over it, and everyone will leave you alone.

The pictures I have seen of Unimogs, in a used military hardware catalog? Like the Possums that I sometimes see crossing my backyard, they put the UG in Ugly. Also, I have to question if they come in tracks instead of wheels. Roll bars can probably be purchased as after-market, or custom installed by someone who knows how (I certanly do NOT).

15 MPH? NYPD would ticket for obstructing traffic, what the CB radio called a "rolling roadblock".

As for Radioactive placards, one of my associates told me her next door neighbor, who was one of those nasty people who always blocks the neighbor's driveway, or takes up 2 parking spots, had them on their POV (Personally Owned Vehicle), but in the months after 9-11-2001, with all the scares, NYPD, on finding no permist for transporting radioactive materials, actually towed the vehicle to the firing range at Rodman's Neck to verify for radiation. On finding none, a hefty fine was imposed, and the vehicle has not sported such signs again (still blocking driveways and taking up 2 spots, however).

In my personal experience, since you mentioned an F350 you would probably have the money for a mid range Mercedes. Multiple airbags and the facts on their extensive crash testing Mercedes have to be the leaders in safety. Something to look into. Just like anything you buy... research is the key. Dont buy a car because a few people say "this is the best car" buy a car because you did the work and came to your own conclusion of what works best for you! Good luck in your search and BE SAFE!

Notwithstanding the increased risk of rollover, it just seems like it would better to be higher than the bumper of the unit that nails you in a side impact. You might toast your leg and/or hip, but I think you have a better survival chance in a full size truck/suv.

Lest we forget, bumpers have struts and springs built in to absorb/distribute impact better. I would rather have the bumper hit me than the grill.

This is a study in its own...

Take a look at the videos I have attached. While more steel and larger vehicles may seem better, its all about crumple zones, airbags, and roof resistance tests.

Stay out of hummers, They have the worst crash test, have poor crumple, and poor roof resistance. You just have to sit back, do your own research and figure out what offers the best crash protection. Yea Mercedez is leader in safety but their side impact on the ML series was un impressive. VW has the Tiguan and it has very impressive roof resistance test including 15,000psi at under 2 inches of crumple, where most othr cars have already crumpled 4-6 inches at 15,000 psi. Ill give you some links to videos to get you started. I will admit I am impressed with the whole line of F series also the Sierra and Silverado's have made large strides in crash test ratings, leaving the Ram series behind.

Although your interested in DRW (duallie) I would not stop looking, single rear wheel truck (SRW) has less chance of loosing traction in bad conditions, its all about "GVW per Tire Surface Area" The more tire surface area you have, the less weight you are getting to the ground technically speaking. Duallies are not made for traction, they actually sometimes have horrible traction, they are made for comfort while towing large loads and to prevent trailer sway. Not to mention the 4.10 gearing and horrible fuel mileage whether it be diesel or gas.

Edited by Fireguy181

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.