Professional Courtesy

tcripp

Well I'm just giving an example how as EMS Providers; were not held in the same regard. I'm not saying I'm right but we all casually speed; it is what it is. He got me; I'd identify myself; plus I used to work in the same Town as a Paramedic. But that's cool; I don't hold grudges; I still look out for all PD & FD, plus all Healthcare Providers. I'll do all I can for everyone; members of service get a little more. It is what it is. I don't think I'm special but I sure treat all my patients like they're special; so my professional courtesy goes a long way; I know I shouldn't expect it but I try... All the best...

Well, the one and only speeding ticket I got was 2 years ago. I was doing 84 in a 65 on a wide open interstate, and I was certainly guilty. It was a trap- they nailed 4-5 of us at the same time. I never asked about courtesy and never expected it because it was a State Trooper, not a local cop. The state guys are notoriously hard nosed around here so I did not even consider asking for a break, although some have told me they do take care of EMS workers if possible.

The only other time I was stopped was at 3AM, and I was heading to work to relieve someone who needed to go to an early morning clinical for nursing school. It was a local cop, and I had a jacket over my uniform. It was a clear night, good weather, I was doing 55 in a 45, and nobody was on the road. He asked where I was going, I told him, and he actually got mad at me for not mentioning I was a medic when he first approached me. He said he gives breaks to paramedics, but not usually to firefighters because he knows we work for a living.(His words, not mine) LOL He let me go.

I never ask for favoritism, but sometimes it's offered. I always pick up a Starbucks coffee on my way to work, and 9 times out of 10 they do not charge me, but I always have money in my hand, ready to pay. I toss a buck or 2 in their tip jar as a thanks. I never expect it and certainly do not ask, but appreciate the offer. A couple weeks ago, my partner and I stopped for coffee, and as I approached the counter to place my order, a woman in front of us told us to wait. I looked at her, puzzled. She then purchased 2 $10 gift cards and presented them to us, saying she appreciates all we do. We tried to decline the offer- it always makes me uncomfortable- but she insisted. We thanked her profusely, and we were even given our order on the house as well. Nice.

A cup of coffee? I see no huge moral or ethical dilemma there. If they make the offer, I appreciate it and will accept it but I certainly do not take undue advantage of the situation.

Curious. What is your definition of "professional courtesy"?

Theres only one problem with professional courtesy

The moment you come to expect it as a given, it will not be given.

Never expect to get anything for free or discounted due to your work and when you do get something for free you can be extra surprised.

I have a really good friend, he manages the local Hyvee Gas STation. I never expect free things from him even though he's nearly my best friend. Sometimes he comps me a soda other times (9/10) he doesn't. That's not what keeps me coming back to his store.

Another case in point, worked in a small town. There was a good quality Dominoes pizza shop in town. They gave 50% discount for EMS workers or hospital employees in their scrubs or uinforms but the discount was only while working. Not off duty. Word got around, the people who worked at the hospital started to ask for the discount and coming in with their scrubs on. most of the time they did this they were not working but on an off day. The management of dominoes realized that many were taking advantage of the good naturedness of the store and they took away the discount.

So don't abuse the privelidge or it likely will get taken away.

I really tried to think of the professional courtesy that I may get and the answer was NONE because I wasnt thinking in the proper manner. The only time I recieved something free was when I was in a local restaurant and a guy went down for the count doing the funky chicken, since I was the first to stand over him and make sure he was breathing I got my dinner free. And then I got to thinking about it and 9/10 times I get a thank-you from the pt I am treating or by family members and In one of the most thank-less profession I think I am doing pretty good in the Professional Courtesy catagory.

Theres only one problem with professional courtesy

The moment you come to expect it as a given, it will not be given.

Never expect to get anything for free or discounted due to your work and when you do get something for free you can be extra surprised.

I have a really good friend, he manages the local Hyvee Gas STation. I never expect free things from him even though he's nearly my best friend. Sometimes he comps me a soda other times (9/10) he doesn't. That's not what keeps me coming back to his store.

Another case in point, worked in a small town. There was a good quality Dominoes pizza shop in town. They gave 50% discount for EMS workers or hospital employees in their scrubs or uinforms but the discount was only while working. Not off duty. Word got around, the people who worked at the hospital started to ask for the discount and coming in with their scrubs on. most of the time they did this they were not working but on an off day. The management of dominoes realized that many were taking advantage of the good naturedness of the store and they took away the discount.

So don't abuse the privelidge or it likely will get taken away.

Years ago- long before I got in this business, I worked overnight as a baker for Winchell's Donuts. I baked the product AND worked the counter. Not a bad gig, but I got really sick of donuts for awhile. I always comped the local police a donut and coffee. This was a smaller suburb and I got to know the guys pretty well. One night I was robbed, and as soon as the mope left the store, I called the police. Literally within one minute, there were cops everywhere. One crew checked on me while the rest chased the guy. They actually caught him at the other end of the parking lot(it was a big shopping center) and did quite a number on him too- apparently he "resisted arrest". A lot. LOL

Point is, there can be valid reasons for this courtesy. Yes, these cops were simply doing their jobs, but it never hurts to have a good relationship with the folks you may need someday.

I do agree that too often people take advantage of a good thing and ruin it for everyone.

As for my coffee perk, I stopped at the usual shop one day- out of uniform and off duty- and they still wanted to comp me. I insisted on paying. They wouldn't take the money so I threw it on the counter and left. I've helped out the manager a couple times, which is why the freebies actually started- chasing away homeless guys- so she simply was showing her appreciation.

I consider it a professional courtesy to not bring up my work if I get in trouble. I find it sad that police officers, fire fighters, and paramedics would put other people into a bad situation (the proverbial "Hey, why are you giving me a ticket, we're on the same side") due to their own, perfectly preventable, actions.

I also think that if enforcement of the law is based, in part, by employment, that that law should not be enforced for everyone. If police officers don't want speeding tickets, then the answer is not to speed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I consider it a professional courtesy to not bring up my work if I get in trouble.

One time I was actually in uniform when the LEO pulled me over, running home from the regular posting to pick up something before reporting to another location for overtime. No slack, and got me additional scolding from the cop, as I "should know better". I had nearly run into the car ahead of me, when that driver braked hard, when his radar detector went off.

I am with JP on this one.

I will just put it simply, what I define professional courtesy. These are a couple recent instances, remember I live in a small town.

* New cop starts in town: me and my partner jump in the rig and go shake the guy's hand and welcome him too the community.

* After an MCI at a local military base involving 16 patients, I run too Tim Hortons & grab a huge box of donuts, and a few boxes of coffee for nurses/Dr's/support staff, of the small hospital that dealt with all the patients.

* I always wear my seatbelt, and keep my speed down while in my district, to avoid putting the local police in the akward situation where they have to pull me over, then make the decision whether they want to do thier jobs, and treat me like any other law-breaker, or let me get away with breaking traffic laws because I am employed by an ambulance service.

IMO; A cop not giving you a ticket is not a professional courtesy, it is a cop not doing his/her job, and an EMT/Medic getting away with breaking the law.

Well I guess professional courtesy can go both ways. I heard this on the radio many years ago......

Vancouver, A new RCMP officer pulled over a car on one of the major roadways, went to the drivers side and said you are going 90 in a 80 zone. The driver said I'm sorry sir, I was keeping up with traffic and didn't notice I was over the speed limit. The officer gets all of the drivers information and starts to write a ticket, and saying that the fine was 100.00 and he could pay it at any ICBC office. The driver said "Sir I was only going 10 clicks over and as I said I was keeping up with traffic, could you please reconcider giving me a ticket". The Officer said No and proceeded back to his car. When the officer returned the driver again asked the officer to reconcider giving him the ticket. He again said No and passed the ticket over to the driver. Once done the driver said excuse me sir but here you go and passed the officer a ticket for 10,000.00 for not wearing a saftey vest roadside. The driver was a WCB enforcement officer. :thumbsup:

Im pretty sure in the end both tickets were ripped up

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.