Should I start? I need Help deciding?

geo92

So i want to get into the Mt. Sac EMT-Basic program but im still in high school i only go one time a week for about 2 hours im almost done with high school i just need my math to be done to graduate. I go to Options For Youth for some of you havent heard of it, its the same thing as high school but faster you just go home do packets then test on them?

Do you guys think i should start already or should i hold on until i finish my high school.

I think once you can demonstrate that you can write a grammatically correct series of sentences you'll get a serious answer.

Until then, I think it's pretty plainly obvious that you need to work on finishing grammar school before moving on to finishing high school.

Good luck. Let us know when you're ready to be serious. We'll be happy to offer advice and support at that time.

Geo, while you are working on your English/grammar skills, I'd like to also recommend you look for a local Medical Explorers group.

Check with your local fire department and EMS service to see if they have information for you.

This will give you a small sampling to let you know if this really is the direction you'd like to go.

Good luck.

Toni

In a previous post, island said:

Thats why one should join a union??(Is that why you should join a union; to have thugs and enforcers out breaking kneecaps ????

In this country, unions protect the morons and penalize the quality employees,;they lock you in to (into) a set wage no matter how good or bad of a provider you might be.

A CBA does make it harder for a supervisor to harass an individual employee, but if you even think about stepping outside the rules you will receive written reprimands and these will be used against you in successive incidents. Unions protect the whiners and slackers that learn how to use the system.

Paramedicmike wrote:

He was called (think you meant crawled) on the carpet, alright. But (Shouldnt start a sentence with "but" )I wouldn't go so far as to think that he figured out (that) he was wrong. Based on his posts so far, I'm inclined to think that he still thinks it's funny and that we're just too old and too stiff to appreciate such humour (humor). In the end, he still thinks he's right and we're wrong., He's just smart enough to know not to continue posting in the face of such opposition.

My corrections are in "red"; people who live in glass ambulances shouldn't throw stones. He is a kid, lighten up for God's sake ! And before you point out my millions of grammatical and spelling errors, I never pretended to be the police for that subject.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

Paramedicmike wrote:

He was called (think you meant crawled) on the carpet, alright. But (Shouldnt start a sentence with "but" )I wouldn't go so far as to think that he figured out (that) he was wrong. Based on his posts so far, I'm inclined to think that he still thinks it's funny and that we're just too old and too stiff to appreciate such humour (humor). In the end, he still thinks he's right and we're wrong., He's just smart enough to know not to continue posting in the face of such opposition.

No. The saying is "called to the carpet". If I meant he had crawled I would've said crawled.

At one time it was certainly taboo to begin a sentence with "but". However, that is not the case anymore. To old school grammarians it may look incorrect. These days there are acceptable uses for "but" at the beginning of a sentence.

"That" was not omitted accidentally. It had no place in the sentence and was not necessary to convey the thought.

"Colour" is an acceptable spelling of the word. It's in the dictionary. Look it up.

My corrections are in "red"; people who live in glass ambulances shouldn't throw stones. He is a kid, lighten up for God's sake ! And before you point out my millions of grammatical and spelling errors, I never pretended to be the police for that subject.

Your corrections, at least as they refer to my quote, are incorrect. What's more, admitting you don't have a clue about grammar usage doesn't give you any ground to correct other people.

To take it a step further, my comment to the OP was pretty tame. It was also appropriate for a high school student. Kid or not, a high school student should be operating at a level much higher than what was demonstrated.

ETA: What does God have to do with it?

Edited by paramedicmike

Sure, go ahead and start if that's something you think is right.

Or.. You can go to college, and become an English Teacher, like everyone else in Emergency Medical Services. :rolleyes2:

Make sure you don't need a GED or Diploma, prior to starting the course.

• Like 1

Yes, everyone here thinks they are English critics...and it's pretty funny. But I would say go for it. If you think this is what you want to do, it's never too early to start looking into it. And, if you can find a way to get experience through an explorers program, take it! Finishing high school is important, but if you think you can do that while looking into and/or starting an EMS class, you might as well. But never completely dismiss the idea of going to college too if you become even a little unsure about what you want to do after high school.

• Like 1

...Yes, everyone here thinks they are English critics...and it's pretty funny.

How so? The OP reads as if it was written my a mentally challenged child. What do you find funny about that exactly?

If you'll look in the welcome section you will find another post, from someone claiming to be two months or so from finishing paramedic class yet the post couldn't have gotten a passing grade if written by a 4th grader. That's funny somehow? That these people will be populating the field that you wish to use to support your family? You're somehow kind for allowing it, yet we're assholes for attempting to correct one of the main tools they will need to succeed should they choose to move forward with this career choice? I'd love to hear your argument here.

I gave your post the positive point, it was really good, but I look forward to your thoughts on the above.

Dwayne

Edited by DwayneEMTP

How so? The OP reads as if it was written my a mentally challenged child. What do you find funny about that exactly?

If you'll look in the welcome section you will find another post, from someone claiming to be two months or so from finishing paramedic class yet the post couldn't have gotten a passing grade if written by a 4th grader. That's funny somehow? That these people will be populating the field that you wish to use to support your family? You're somehow kind for allowing it, yet we're assholes for attempting to correct one of the main tools they will need to succeed should they choose to move forward with this career choice? I'd love to hear your argument here.

I gave your post the positive point, it was really good, but I look forward to your thoughts on the above.

Dwayne

I never said anyone was an ass hole for attempting to correct it...all I said was that it's comical that every time there is a grammatical error on a post, ten people seem to feel the need to correct it. If everyone wanted to be an English teacher, then I guess they got lost on the way to class...Yes, it is extremely important to be able to communicate effectively in English (I actually JUST had this conversation on a job interview) so I'm not saying it's a bad thing to correct. Just saying that it's a little funny that EVERYONE has to comment on the terrible grammar of some people. If you look through some of the posts, the same thing is said over and over in regards to someone's terrible grammar. That is what is funny, the need for EVERYONE to comment on it, not the bad grammar itself. It irritates me that people come on websites like these and try to communicate with others in a way that either: 1. the post is so incomprehensible that no one has any idea what is being said or asked, or 2. that the post is understandable, but the way it is written is so unprofessional that no one wants to respond...I think it was you who actually responded in the "meet and greet" section to tvfdmedic. You gave him some great advice on how to actually communicate to everyone on here. And that's great, I am really happy you did that because I honestly had nothing positive to say to him because what he wrote was so grammatically incorrect. However, watch. Now that you have said something about it, I can pretty much guarantee that at least five others will now comment on the poorly written post. And that's what's funny, not the horrific English skills our public schools are teaching.

• Like 1