Should I start? I need Help deciding?

geo92

There is a HUGE difference between an occasional mistake in grammar, syntax, punctuation, or spelling and the original post. It seemed as if it was written to be sent to someone's BFF, not as a serious question for a board such as this.

As a slight tangent, my wife is an administrator and does academic advising in a university. She processes hundreds of admissions applications as well as applications to enter an honors program. You would not believe some of the writing samples and statements she receives- complete with emoticons, LOL's, and smiley faces- similar to the OP.

Apparently this is such a big problem the school is considering officially addressing the issue with the local high schools. I suggested they send an anonymous example of one of these texting type applications to the schools to warn teachers about how students seem to have a hard time knowing when it's appropriate to use shorthand, abbreviations, and informal language.

Edited by HERBIE1

I never said anyone was an ass hole for attempting to correct it...all I said was that it's comical that every time there is a grammatical error on a post, ten people seem to feel the need to correct it. If everyone wanted to be an English teacher, then I guess they got lost on the way to class...Yes, it is extremely important to be able to communicate effectively in English (I actually JUST had this conversation on a job interview) so I'm not saying it's a bad thing to correct. Just saying that it's a little funny that EVERYONE has to comment on the terrible grammar of some people. If you look through some of the posts, the same thing is said over and over in regards to someone's terrible grammar. That is what is funny, the need for EVERYONE to comment on it, not the bad grammar itself. It irritates me that people come on websites like these and try to communicate with others in a way that either: 1. the post is so incomprehensible that no one has any idea what is being said or asked, or 2. that the post is understandable, but the way it is written is so unprofessional that no one wants to respond...I think it was you who actually responded in the "meet and greet" section to tvfdmedic. You gave him some great advice on how to actually communicate to everyone on here. And that's great, I am really happy you did that because I honestly had nothing positive to say to him because what he wrote was so grammatically incorrect. However, watch. Now that you have said something about it, I can pretty much guarantee that at least five others will now comment on the poorly written post. And that's what's funny, not the horrific English skills our public schools are teaching.

Hell, I'd thought that I'd jammed you up with my question, but I understand exactly what you're talking about. And though that's not exactly what you said, I see what you mean, and I hate that too. It takes a post that was meant to give a little swat and advice and do something productive and turns it into a lynching.

And another thing that you mention, that I really, really hate?? The people that don't have an opinion until they see what others think is right and suddenly become holier than Thou.

Excellent points, both. I get really frustrated when we get these waves of people that are comfortable presenting themselves in a way that should humiliate them, and certainly humiliates our profession. I'm afraid it's in that vein that I took your comment.

Thanks for setting me right on that.

And, I know the irony is thick in this, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be, if you could break up your posts into paragraphs I'd appreciate it. You always present your points and yourself well, so this is truly not a criticism, it's only that I really look forward to them and it makes them easier to read.

Thanks for taking the time to help us learn today...the points you've made have been long overdue.

Dwayne

If one person makes a comment then the interaction can easily be written off as little more than interpersonal disagreement. If more than one person makes the comment then it becomes clear that there really is a problem.

And, I know the irony is thick in this, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be, if you could break up your posts into paragraphs I'd appreciate it.

Too funny! I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, you posted before I had a chance to.

I guess this makes me one of those who jump on the bandwagon, eh? :devilish:

And, I know the irony is thick in this, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be, if you could break up your posts into paragraphs I'd appreciate it. You always present your points and yourself well, so this is truly not a criticism, it's only that I really look forward to them and it makes them easier to read.

Will do Dwayne.