unions?

emtashelyb

This topic has probably been done before but im no where near a computer and I can't figure out how to search the forum on my mobile so please forgive me if im beating a dead horse with a stick.

Are there any good ems unions out there? I work in private ambulance so im not positive how it works.

Im sick of the crap in the workplace. A group of us were threatened yesterday if our boss finds one ash in the ambulance he's going to fire all the smokers who are regularly in it. I don't smoke in the thing I've never felt the need to when I can either pull over somewhere or just throw some skoal in. There have been many times where we haven't been paid for the hours we have worked over, schedule changes where we are taking on more responsibilities (driving als which is a higher paying job or dispatching which is again higher paying) or just dealing with a very hostile environment where one of our managers will key us up and ream us out. I honestly think yesterday was when the switch flipped in my head that this isn't right and we should probably have someone looking out for us. Some of the other employees are down for a union so I figured I would do my homework and see where it goes

Your bio says you are in Baltimore. I do not know the area, but I would do my homework and see if other private services are organized. Call them and see how happy they are with their representation, and how their benefits/pay/working condition compare to yours.

A couple suggestions from someone who has both organized a private company(got it unionized) as well as has been in management.

-Make sure you go with a reputable union. Be careful of the smaller groups because too often the only thing they do is take your dues and provide little in return- think of some of the unions who represent folks who barely make minimum wage and have few benefits.

-Make a list of your grievances from your current company and see how many could be addressed by a collective bargaining agreement(CBA, or contract), and how many are actually unreasonable- especially in today's economy.(You will need to talk to someone familiar with the process and/or a representative from a union.

- Realize there are pros and cons of even a good strong union. Benefits to the employee include protection against unfair and unscrupulous employers, locked in wages, a defined discipline process which clearly spells out punishments, and established benefits packages.

The cons would include locked in wages- meaning the worst employee in your company gets the exact same pay as the best employee with a comparable position and tenure. In other words, you can do the bare minimum and still make the same pay as the model employee. That can be hard to take for some people. The fact that the discipline process is usually long and drawn out means that same "worst" employee is also protected exactly the same as the best employee. That can seriously hurt morale.

Other cons include the fact that someone needs to be point man on this- they need to start the ball rolling, and although it's illegal to punish someone for trying to organize a union, it can still happen, albeit in subtle ways. Trust me- I know. As one who spearheaded the organization of my company, my personnel file ended up the size of a NYC phone book thanks to write ups for the tiniest real and perceived infractions.

There are rules and regulations that govern the process of starting a union company, and if you do not meet the minimum percentage of people interested in this process, the bid will fail. That also means anyone who was pro union ends up with a target on their heads from management. It can make for a very uncomfortable work environment later on.

Generally- but not always- when a company gets unionized, it becomes a closed shop- you must all be union members. This also means that if at some point you do not think the union has helped your work environment, you are stuck, unless you change jobs. Decertifying a union is not an easy task.

No company- especially the smaller, private or family run groups- likes to be told what to do by an outsider or cede control of their company in any way, which means they will almost always be very resistant to the idea of a union. Eventually though, they usually see the benefits. They do not have to worry about things like raises- they simply pay the wages specified in the CBA. If the company offered perks, bonuses, or incentives for extra work or a job well done, they usually disappear. There is a clearly defined process- albeit a drawn out one- they must follow for discipline, and the rules for punishment must be the same for everyone. There is generally a grievance process to appeal discipline and/or potential contract violations but resolution of problems can sometimes become laborious and protracted.

Bottom line- you need to do some research.

Good luck.

International Brotherhood of Teamsters, perhaps? I used to be a member, then went into municipal employ, and became a member of a local in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees.

Are you hoping that Unions will do for EMS what they have done for the steel, auto, aviation, and other industries that are near collapse ?

So unions are the reason we are having a recession, I see the light now . Yet bullying, not fairly paid, and threatening employees is acceptable ? No don't organize Labour to get a small portion of the "board members" profits, and downsizing is not just an excuse to increase profit margins either. crotch your amazing comparing a factory type industry with an essential service.

To OP: emtashelyb I don't think you need a union, you need to hire someone to break a few knee caps with a baseball bat or just look for a different employer .

Unions have not hurt nor help the country. In many cases they have helped the Employer and Employee to find a common ground. Sometimes the common ground benefits the Employees and other times it benefits the Employer.

It all depends on the Employer and Employee, which has no Union; to decide if one is needed. Many times the Union benefits useless Employees and Employers can't reward hard working Employees. Sometimes the Employer looks at the money side too much. Not to say the Union doesn't either; they want as many people to be employed at their Union sited job to collect dues. Remember that.

So the only one who should be fighting for your best interests, is you (Unless you're on trial). That will probably be the best advice. It can get ugly on both sides. Good luck...

• Like 2

To OP: emtashelyb I don't think you need a union, you need to hire someone to break a few knee caps with a baseball bat or just look for a different employer .

Thats why one should join a union?? To have thugs and enforcers out breaking kneecaps ????

In this country unions protect the morons and penalize the quality employees, they lock you in to a set wage no matter how good or bad a provider you might be.

A CBA does make it harder for a supervisor to harass an individual employee, but if you even think about stepping outside the rules you will receive written reprimands and these will be used against you in successive incidents. Unions protect the whiners and slackers that learn how to use the system.

Every state has a labor board or department of labor that regulates any employer. If your employer is breaking the law, then report them. But I am not sure they have broken any law. The Federal Fair Labor Laws pretty much says they have to pay you the wage you were promised, and overtime for everything over 40 hours unless you work for a Fire Department. Any shift diffs, or bonus wages are up to the employer. I am not sure why driving ALS should earn you any higher pay than driving BLS, and I can not think of any reason why you should earn more as a dispatcher, as it is a step down in my opinion. If your people are smoking or using any tobacco product in the ambulance, they should be disciplined. I assume you think it is OK to use smokeless tobacco in your ambulance by your comments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.