Kendrick Extrication Device

Vorenus

Hey!

I`ve searched the board but found no thread with this topic, so I created a new one.

The KED.

Just wanted to know how common it is in your areas and how you like it.

I trained with it in school quite often, but never used it in the field, `cause neither of the two employers I worked for so far had one. In the area I work, I know of no organization having one - it`s not quite common with us (as well as the spineboard, unfortunately).

We use a scoop stretcher and a vacuum mattress.

Fully trained with it.

I have used in on afew occasions and both my services ambulances have them as standard equipment.

How do I like them? They are a pain in the rear end to use in the field. Its a 3 person piece of equipment and most times there are only 2 of us. It is a good piece of equipment dont get me wrong. It fully secures the patient prior to transfering to the long spine board.

We have also been training on using it now on pelvic fractures by turning it upside down. Haven't used it in the field in this manner but have been training with it.

Fully trained with it.

I have used in on afew occasions and both my services ambulances have them as standard equipment.

How do I like them? They are a pain in the rear end to use in the field. Its a 3 person piece of equipment and most times there are only 2 of us. It is a good piece of equipment dont get me wrong. It fully secures the patient prior to transfering to the long spine board.

We have also been training on using it now on pelvic fractures by turning it upside down. Haven't used it in the field in this manner but have been training with it.

Yeah, it`s quite a procedure to get them on. ;)

Don`t know if it`s that practicable to use them on pelvic fractures as well (though I know that they can be used in that way).

In that cases, I prefer my good old vacuum stretcher. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it`s quite a procedure to get them on. ;)

Don`t know if it`s that practicable to use them on pelvic fractures as well (though I know that they can be used in that way).

In that cases, I prefer my good old vacuum stretcher. :thumbsup:

In my service we dont have vacum stretchers or splints so we use good old hard splints and now the KED for pelvic fractures. I agree about practicality, dont really know what kind of pain may be involved to the patient. I do know pelvics are extremely painful as it in. Might be the same as using traction on a femural fracture, could possibly relieve some of the pain until ALS arrives and administers meds.

In my service we dont have vacum stretchers or splints so we use good old hard splints and now the KED for pelvic fractures. I agree about practicality, dont really know what kind of pain may be involved to the patient. I do know pelvics are extremely painful as it in. Might be the same as using traction on a femural fracture, could possibly relieve some of the pain until ALS arrives and administers meds.

Having been in the KED in training quite often, I can only say, that it`s not really comfortable. Especially in the pelvis/groin region.

Having been in the KED in training quite often, I can only say, that it`s not really comfortable. Especially in the pelvis/groin region.

I know what you mean LOL I think some of the equipment was designed by S&M folks.

I should have clarified that statment to say what kind of pain a pelvic fracture patient would experience in a KED.

I have also been the practice dummy, although some say I need no practice being a dummy (LOL).

As the practice dummy, I find the KED, or the Iron Duck equivalent, the IDEA (Iron Duck Extrication Appliance), to both be easier to apply than the "short back board", and more comfortable for the "patient".

I give the comfort rating, as, until most agencies in my area started using them, I always found my neck being uncomfortably stretched upwards and to my left in the drills using the short back board.

FYI, the FDNY EMS primarily uses the IDEA for the extrication, then move the patient to the long back board.

I know what you mean LOL I think some of the equipment was designed by S&M folks.

I should have clarified that statment to say what kind of pain a pelvic fracture patient would experience in a KED.

Don`t really know about that. But I could imagine that it is more painful than to be immobilized on the vacuum mattress. To make sure that the KED really suits, there`s gotta be more pressure->pain involved.

I have said this many times the KED is a great piece of equipment. I have used it many times on STABLE pts. The other thing they are great for is small children and babies. I have never had to use 3 people to get this on but maybe I haven't had that call yet.

Dont even know what a vacume streatcher is so I cant comment on that one.

I have said this many times the KED is a great piece of equipment. I have used it many times on STABLE pts. The other thing they are great for is small children and babies. I have never had to use 3 people to get this on but maybe I haven't had that call yet.

Dont even know what a vacume streatcher is so I cant comment on that one.

Well, it is convenient to do it with three people. Two on each side of the patient to get the KED on and the third to stabilize the head/neck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_mattress

I like to work with the vacuum mattress `cause you have an overall immobilization. Great for people with multiple fractures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.