Getting Hitched...

Aeromedic

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should Vinny Get Married?

Hey Everybody,

I know you haven't seen me in a while (about 2 years), but I'm back after a long period of travel, self-reflection and all the other crap my therapist told me to do... With my return comes, well, a Wedding. I know, I know... "WTF Vinny, you found a woman that puts up with you". In fact, I did. She is lovely, and although I may be shunned from the site for admitting it... she is also a dispatcher. She only works on a very casual basis now, she's a jewelery designer full time now. We're getting married this August in Regina, and its a terrifying experience. Honestly, this whole wedding planning thing is downright scary (not to mention expensive). But, I'm happy to know that I'm giving my life to a wonderful woman (just in case she's picked up my laptop and is reading this). There is going to be a distinct Warped EMS feel to the wedding. Our wedding favours are urine specimen bottles with customized yellow M&Ms. Anybody have any wedding advice? (besides the "don't do it you idiot") Really, any advice is useful for making the day go better, things I may not have thought about while working 2 jobs and going to university...

Holy **** you are still alive!!!!

And big congrats - it sounds like your time away has been very well spent.

The only advice I can really give is remember, the wedding day is only one day... if anything goes wrong, big deal (ok, other than her not showing up, or something like that)... little things might go wrong, don't sweat them. As long as you and your bride-to-be are positive this is the right move, all will be perfect no matter what happens. You have the rest of your life to have perfect moments, so if there is one not so perfect moment during the wedding, it is not that big a deal. Those little things that go wrong will be something you can laugh about later.

As for after the wedding, the only advice I can give is make sure you talk to each other, and make sure you schedule time for each other. It is so easy for life to get in the way, and then you start to take each other for granted, and that is when things start to fall apart - you don't communicate because you just assume the other one knows... so keep those lines of communication open, and spend time for just the two of you.

When I got married, my great uncle gave a blessing at our wedding.. "May God grant you all the sunshine you can stand." I wish that for the two of you.

Again, congrats!

congrats...just remember to breathe when you're standing there waiting for her to walk down the isle... responded to a syncope once...groom passed out as his bride walked down the isle... fun times.

Thanks guys/gals, I appreciate the kind words (and the advice of don't do it...lol). Don't worry, I won't pass out.. (and if I do, I'll have an ALS car on standby anyway, its our "limo") For those who have already taken the plunge, is it usually this scary? I'm not a worried about the marriage part as much as the wedding part (we've been living together for 2 years), anything that I should plan for? Besides the usual food, booze (which isn't free...because I'm cheap), chairs, tables, plates, glasses? I think my time spent fixing the catastrophes befalling others has made me a bit nervous for planning my own event...

Honestly, this whole wedding planning thing is downright scary (not to mention expensive).

Yes, best advice is skip a wedding and have a very small informal gathering with closest friends or family.

Take all the money saved and have a care free honeymoon or put it towards a house or car, things you really need for your married life together.

Doesn't matter who is footing the bill, tell them you wish to be practical and put it towards things that will get you ahead financially.

Top reason for divorce is financial issues...

Good luck to you!

Congradulations. You should do exactly what you both want on your wedding day. Traditionally it was the brides day but i dont think that is the way so much anymore. you could use disposable pee pots for bowls and the french fry trays for plates. you could also since cops are also first responders get crime tape and use that insead of creap paper.