Stethoscope suggestions?

The Littman Master Classic is a good choice IMHO-- its the scope I've always used and has never let me down. It is high quality but doesn't cost a ton of money (runs around $75), so you get that balance between good sound and street-usability (AKA not AS afraid to lose it or have it stolen). I see no reason why any EMT, or paramedic even, would have a need for a $200+ master cardiology.

2141_littmann_master_classic_black11.jpg

Edited by fiznat

For school, go cheap.

Everybody says that a Littman is the best thing to get. They are quality stethoscopes. But most EMSers will never use them to the extent for which they were designed.

What does that mean to you? It means you're wasting your money.

While you're in school, go cheap. If you decide later you want to drop a significant portion of your meager paycheck on a high end piece of equipment, one that should really be provided on the ambulance anyway, then that's up to you.

Good luck with school.

I use the master cardiology black edition. It was a christmas present and I absolutely love it. Prior to that i used a littmann select II scope which worked really well.

For school, grab a moderately priced one, or better yet, grab a really crappy one and learn to listen with it. If you can pick up the sounds you need from a POS scope then you'll never had difficulty if you move up to a better one later. If you start off with the best but are later forced to use a crap one then you'll find you won't be able to hear shit.

The Littman Master Classic is a good choice IMHO-- its the scope I've always used and has never let me down. It is high quality but doesn't cost a ton of money (runs around $75), so you get that balance between good sound and street-usability (AKA not AS afraid to lose it or have it stolen). I see no reason why any EMT, or paramedic even, would have a need for a $200+ master cardiology.

2141_littmann_master_classic_black11.jpg

I have one that looks like this. It is the Littman master classic cardiology (I think) I think it was about 175.00 LOVE IT!! You can hear a mouse fart with it! I got my at the University of Washington State Med Bookstore.

Edited by mrsbull

Through out most of EMT-B school I used a super cheap sprauge. I think it was lie $12. I do not recommend using these unless for IN CLASS. Sure, they aren't terrible, but with the dualtubes... movement messes up what you are hearing.

I upgraded to an ADC Adscope.. I don't recall the model, 601 looks like the same according to a quick image search on google. I liked it. Heard fairly well, but the ear pieces got to be a bit painful after awhile. So , unless you change them you will probably be uncomfortable as well.

During medic school a friend gave me his old master cardiology and it was fantastic. Although, I think it was "too good". When on the ambulance you could actually hear the engine running and sometimes even the road noise.

I also got a cardiology III. I use this most of the time. Very comfortable and have great hearing.

For shits and giggles, I got one of those gold plated scopes so I could look like Dr. Romano from ER. No, it wasn't a real one.. those are actually $300+. Mine was a cheap ripoff. It was mostly for laughs.. but it worked.

So, with all of that said, I suggest something cheap and reliable. Go with the ADC and replace the earpieces.

good luck!

2Rude, what type are you using now, as it says you're already an EMT-B? If it works, and if the instructors don't advise you to upgrade, stay with it.

I had actually been working for a few years as an EMT before I decided to get one of the more expensive scopes. The "El-Cheep-O" you might get at any of those "Nurses Uniform" stores usually should do the trick, or buy from a catalog, or even on line. We on this site playfully malign the Galls catalog, but even their cheapest scopes are decent.

I've got a Puretone Tactical, same model I used in the Army. I have a hard time focusing on single sounds, especially subtle ones (Trying to have a conversation in a bar? Forget it.). Anyway, it's reasonably priced, around $75, super comfortable and does a decent job of filtering out background noise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.