Trouble At Work: Hit A Curb

I would suggest that management has a fair amount of flexibility regarding who gets fired and why. Case in point.. two employees make the same minor infraction - one gets fired.. the other gets a writeup thats filed and forgotten. Fired employee had an attitude problem with management. They were excellent in the field but rebelled against the tiny little rules time and time again.. in other words, a continual pain in the a$$ to management. The second employee, excellent in the field but had a cooperative, easy going attitude and was a team player.

I work for big corporate ambo and there are a ton of tiny rules to run up against. Sometimes, a seemingly minor infraction is the hook used to get rid of a problem employee.

The EMT you know that got fired - what kind of attitude did he/she have? Did he/she run up against supervisors on a regular basis? Were they a whiner or complainer?

Everything I know about you Anthony, suggests that you are a cooperative team player without issues with your superiors. Definitely - honesty is the best policy, plead mea culpa and vow to never do it again. I have a feeling you will be just fine.

Regards

Employers should be careful about making their employees pay for damages to equipment. Doing a quick search on the internet, I found my state, New York, and at least one other, California, prohibit any payroll deductions other than mandated federal and state taxes/fees that the employee does not authorize. Furthermore, deductions for damaged company equipment are expressly prohibited, except in the case of intent and/or gross negligence - which from what I read is very narrowly interpreted, most at-fault accidents would not qualify. I would imagine that other states have similar regulations.

Like another poster stated, damage to equipment is a cost of doing business. While employees shouldn't be purposely reckless with the equipment, or careless, there is the fact that accidents are called accidents for a reason. Mistakes happen, and unfortunately sometimes those mistakes cost money - it is the nature of the business. Just my two cents.

Somewhere out there, is a movie on a military basic training camp. The Sargent tells the recruits,

If you have a problem, come and see me, and we'll work it out, if possible. If you have a problem and I have to come look for you, you're in for a world of hurt

The supervisor I mentioned was kind of like that with me, and apparently had seen the same movie. We got along, for the most part, quite well, as we both had that attitude.

I say "for the most part", as nobody likes being advised they are being mandated to stay into the next tour. That, however will be a different string!

Edited by Richard B the EMT

An employee should pay for damage they cause? That's what insurance is for. That's the cost of doing business, as stuff happens. Any good manager budgets for things like this.

Where I come from, it is illegal for employers to take deductions from employees for damaging equipment. Isn't it bad enough that employers seriously underpay most EMS people that they have to think about docking paychecks?

Nothing but greed. devilish.gif The rich get richer by stealing from the poor.

That;s pretty scary they let people go because of that. This is where unions can help people out.

I assume you work for a private company? Good luck to ya man

Also I agree with the others, don't not pay for any damage no matter what, that's just wrong.

Edited by ambodriver

Hey Anthony,

Is this suspension you are being put on paid or unpaid? How many hours of pay are you losing while they "investigate" this? Is your place of work unionized or no?

I agree with everyone else that commented that employers making employees pay for vehicle damage is inappropriate and possibly illegal. I think you should simply tell the truth (which you have already done), but do not offer to pay for the damage. "Classy move" or not, in my opinion it is not appropriate and it sets a bad precedent. My opinion is that if they fire you for this, then you're better off not working there. You can't work for a place if you have to constantly worry that the smallest error will get you fired.

How plentyful are jobs in your area?

If a company treated me that way I would find another job, I am worth more than that, and I am sure you are too.

Of course if jobs are sparce, you will have to put up with the beurocratic nonsense.

Crapmagnet, the EMT who rear-ended someone when he let the brake slip at a stoplight was a good employee, one of the best attitudes I've seen, very respectful and mature, in paramedic shcool. They were nice to him, but explained that rules are rules. He was also honest about everything. Almost too honest I've heard. Clear driving record at the job, too.

Fiz, one 24-hour shift of suspension. Got the call on Thursday, next business day was for them was Monday. I was only working 1 shift in that time period. Not sure if it's paid time off or not... No union.

There are many IFT jobs in LA, but I don't feel that those would further my skills and profession. Four other 911 companies, but don't know if I'll be hireable after a firing. Also, all of them are quite a commute (LA county is large and traffic is slooow).

I can agree that it was bad judgment not to report any dent no matter how small in my mind, but I think that's what's going to hurt me. It just didn't even think twice about it, rather than trying to hide anything. I know much better than trying to deceive anyone. I'm usually the one reminding new employees to always be honest about everything and you'll usually be okay. Not sure how to convey that to management, though. :-/

Gee, I hope it works out for you Anthony. My company hands out suspensions like candy. It's one of the horrible things about this business, especially in a state with a "hired (and fired) at will" policy. One very cold and stormy night last winter we were staged out and received a call to return to station. You know how that goes. All the way there we're both wondering what the heck did we do? When we arrived our dispatcher told me to go home. And the next day I found out I was suspended until they called me back. My crime? We stopped for a cup of coffee at a convenience store and I passed a homeless guy sitting outside. He was cold, wet, and shivering. I got two cups of coffee and a cup of hot chocolate and going out the door I handed the hot chocolate to the homeless guy. I got back in the rig and we were pulling out when I said, "Wait a minute," And went into the back, grabbed a blanket (the ones we get from a hospital) and one of those waterproof yellow covers we use on gurney patients in the rain. And I gave them both to the homeless guy. But just as I was doing that another of our rigs pulled into the lot with a supervisor on board. And he reported me for giving away company equipment. I offered to pay for the waterproof blanket but suspending me was more important to them. I've never has such a love/hate relationship with a job in my life . . .

:)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.