Book of the Week/Month

FireMedic65

Alright, so I have been reading books a lot more lately and finding it a little hard to pick out news ones. Even though there are billions of books or whatever. I guess a larger selection is making it harder. So I am proposing this. Maybe something along the sorts of a list of categories ie fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, mystery, history, etc etc and somone of several people can list a book they are reading or have read for which every category and rate it with a * or even a little review.

If this idea is lame, just ignore and sorry for wasting your 30 seconds for reading this.

The Stand, Stephen King, Horror.

An epic novel exploring the aspects of good and evil and end of times. I liked it because it has many levels and shows the complex struggle to be 'good' or 'bad' on the individual, group, macro, and spiritual levels. Can be read as a single dimensional story but much more interesting I believe if the layers are kept in mind throughout.

Up Country, Nelson DeMille, fiction.

A military investigator is sent back to Vietnam to assassinate a Vietnamese soldier that has supposedly committed some type of crime, I can't remember. What I loved about this book was not only the wit and humor in dire situations that is common with DeMille, but that I could actual smell the vegetation, and see the world that he'd created. I felt as if I'd actually taken a trip by the time I'd completed this novel. If you're looking for fluff, this is a bad choice.

Straight From The Gut, Jack Welch, non fiction.

Amazing look into the life of a CEO of one of the largest and most powerful companies on earth. Interesting peek into the life of someone that made billion dollar deals as part of his normal work week. Easy read, but no good if you want fluff.

Maybe that will get your thread started.

Dwayne

• Like 1

I'm finishing up pretty much the entire Pern series from Anne Mcaffery. Great fantasy books right there

Another good one in the fantasy realm is the Amber series by Roger Zelazny

Edited by JTpaintball70

I really enjoyed this book The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks.

From the site, "Just the simple facts are hard to believe: that in 1951, a poor black woman named Henrietta Lacks dies of cervical cancer, but pieces of the tumor that killed her--taken without her knowledge or consent--live on, first in one lab, then in hundreds, then thousands, then in giant factories churning out polio vaccines, then aboard rocket ships launched into space. The cells from this one tumor would spawn a multi-billion dollar industry and become a foundation of modern science--leading to breakthroughs in gene mapping, cloning and fertility and helping to discover how viruses work and how cancer develops..."

However, the sad fact is, that she and her family never knew, and died poor and with NO help from the medical community.

I just finished "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter"

I felt it was a great book. It tells a "factual" story about the life of Lincoln from the time of his birth until his assassination. That part that may or may not be real (a matter of opinion I suppose), is that a lot of what Lincoln had done during is life, was told in a sense of him hunting vampires and writing about it in his "lost journal".

edit: I found this to be a little bit of a harder read mostly because a portion of the writing was written in a way of how the spoke 150yrs ago. Other than and some big words I never seen before... it was good.

Edited by FireMedic65

For the ladies:

My wife is reading "Act like a lady, think like a man" Self enlightenment type stuff

She is only 1/2 way but she says it has already changed the way she views me as a man.....

Ill let you know if I get a divorce

"The Companions" by Sheri S. Tepper- excellent science fiction piece, future-overpopulation themes and animal activism stuff along with interstellar travel... it was actually one of the most complex storylines I've read in a long time and yet I managed to never get lost, which is pretty rare with multi-strand storylines.

"The People Stories- Ingathering" by Zenna Henderson- collection of short stories about another race of human people not of Earth and their experiences after they get here... REALLY good stuff. Actually falls under the hat of Christian science fiction in my opinion (I know, right? Totally different than what you'd expect).

The "Chanur" series: "Pride of Chanur" "Chanur's Venture" "Return of the Kif" "Chanur's Homecoming" by C.J. Cherryh... absolutely one of my favorite sci-fi series of all time. Character development rocks. Good interspecies conflict stuff.

That'll do for starters, I think...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

"Paramedic to the Prince" by Patrick Tom Notestine

It is about an American Paramedic's account of inside the mysterious world of the King of Suadi Arabia.

Good reading

I just finished "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter"

I felt it was a great book. It tells a "factual" story about the life of Lincoln from the time of his birth until his assassination. That part that may or may not be real (a matter of opinion I suppose), is that a lot of what Lincoln had done during is life, was told in a sense of him hunting vampires and writing about it in his "lost journal".

edit: I found this to be a little bit of a harder read mostly because a portion of the writing was written in a way of how the spoke 150yrs ago. Other than and some big words I never seen before... it was good.

Did you happen to read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.". It was written by the same author and I would highly recommend it. You basically have the original story with the same old stuffy Brits, ninjas, Kung Fu and zombies.

Take care,

chbare.