TRAUMA - Episode 12, March 15

i watched one episode of this show and found it boring..but that's just me. People here love to bash the show, but they seem to watch it A LOT.

I'm sick of hearing the lame comments such "this show makes us look bad" blah blah. It's a TV show, and a boring one at that. Let it be, if ya don't like it, do what I did, and don't watch it!

Edited by ambodriver
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I know a show will never be an accurate portrayal of EMS and still be successful.

A show can be sensationalized and still be somewhat accurate. Deep character plots, internal dialogues, off-ambulance politics; of course there's a place for all that. I don't even care if all we're seeing is MCI's, multi-system trauma, complex cardiac events, respiratory emergencies requiring ventilatory assistance, etc etc. You know, the type of calls that you learned how to run in school.

I don't expect to be seeing 3/4 of all calls done by the cast of the show to be: general weakness, back pain onset 10 years ago, drug seeking pt that had a car accident 2 years ago, poor food/fluid intake for a week, stuff like that.

This show wouldn't be half bad if the assessments and the medicine were accurate; that's all I'm getting at.

Wow, such hostility to the show... I mean seriously did ANYONE here think that this was going to be a real life? Granted there are some parts that would be better if more realistic, BUT that wouldn't sell the show, Marisa's whole "we'll take the call, we got fuel" decision was more then likely done to make the story more dramatic in that the viewers didn't know if they'd run out of fuel. I'm not defending what Rabbit's done, but seriously how would you feel if you saw a person get their brains blown out just as they were about to give up?

As for the whole episode, it was meant to be the whole "Caca hits the fan and explodes in everyone's face" day for EMS. As the "probie curse", EMS is superstitious so I can see that coming in to play (remember how people cringe when they hear "hope you have a quiet night"?). This show is meant to entertain and bring NBC ratings, not instruct the public on how EMS operates, anyone who feels differently is foolish for believing otherwise.

That's just how I feel about the Episode.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm gonna stir the pot here.

If this forum is getting so wound up in this stupid show, which does not matter to our lives in the least, how wound up can we get on some other topic.

I know many from here have posted on the NBC forums about how bad the show is, many have told other people in the community how bad the show is and how it doesn't portray EMS in a good light. I even went to the Assistant chief of San Francisco and had a great dialog with him over this show.

The question I have here is this and bear with me.

We have fire departments who are going into the business of being patient care services now. We get news reports of this happening or at least we get information sometimes on which fire departments are planning on taking over EMS. Since many threads here go the way of IAFF versus EMS, why don't those who put all the energy into hating this show and even one of us is writing a line by line critique, why don't we put that effort into supporting those EMS Agencies where fire is coming in to take over. I'm sure that all that energy and support could go a long way.

LIke I have said in the past, you can bitch and moan only so long before people either stop listening to you or you prove to them that you are more than just mouthwash.

Hasn't everyone here thought about writing a TV show, complete to who would play yourself, if not portrayed by yourself? I have. When I do the life history of "Folkie" singers Peter, Paul and Mary, I already have Patricia Arquette, now seen as Allison Dubuose on "Medium", as Mary Travers. (Keep dreamin', Richard).

As for my filmed biography, I'm thinking John Goodman as me.

Face it, we all might have an idea as to how TV characters act, and how we'd have them act. As the majority of us never are going to get the chance, this is going to be available as a next best thing, as we criticize (and sometimes compliment) TV shows like Trauma.

Hasn't everyone here thought about writing a TV show, complete to who would play yourself, if not portrayed by yourself? I have. When I do the life history of "Folkie" singers Peter, Paul and Mary, I already have Patricia Arquette, now seen as Allison Dubuose on "Medium", as Mary Travers. (Keep dreamin', Richard).

As for my filmed biography, I'm thinking John Goodman as me.

Face it, we all might have an idea as to how TV characters act, and how we'd have them act. As the majority of us never are going to get the chance, this is going to be available as a next best thing, as we criticize (and sometimes compliment) TV shows like Trauma.

I have a person in mind for Mama Cass if we ever get a show like that.

I agree with you Richard and I wasn't calling you out on my previous post. I think that efforts could be done to make a show that we would be proud of would be a good start but then again, having people sitting in an ambulance waiting for a call or sitting in recliners or working out in the weight room doesn't make good television. nor does going and picking up the 425 pounder off the floor - that makes compelling television if you ask me.

I hadn't seen the show before, so I asked Babs to record it for me. She said, "I watched a little bit of it..I think you're going to hate it." But you know what? I didn't. Did I see a lot of inaccuracies? Sure, but I see just as many in House, and I love that show.

Why didn't I hate it?

The folks were dressed decent and were actually able to to speak in full sentences.

It showed the fact that some of EMSers believe that intelligence is held in higher esteem than bravado. The pilot guys is all screwed up, and we see those folks, but he's also a cowboy (guessing from peoples' comments towards him) and for a change no one was in awe of the 'cowboy' but held him in disdain.

They showed an inexperienced provider, I don't know if he's a new medic or basic, screw up, and actually explained that that is part of EMS. He had to make some decisions, as he'd asked for help and been told to "deal with it", made some poor decisions when he had to, without guidance, and now has to live with it. Often we (at least me) have to make decisions and hope that they are the right ones. Most times they are, sometimes they aren't, but the possibility of really screwing the pooch is there. Can I say it was a bad idea to split the crew from the allergic reaction and the chest pain guy? Sure, I would have managed them both on the lawn. But then the kid wouldn't have been alone, wouldn't have screwed up, and the point wouldn't have been made.

They gave us, as professional providers, plenty to bitch about, but I think they also made some effort to give us some things to like if we look for them. Do kids believe that all firemen are heros because they've watched a lifetime of shows that explain the exact angle of attack for a fire? Or because they've watched years of them spending half an hour defining the optimum number of personnel and equipment necessary to fight a structure fire before running in to save the baby? No man, they showed them doing a bunch of nerve wracking, exciting stuff. You all seem to want EMS explained to the masses in these shows. How about being happy that they were presented in professional, intelligent manner when viewed from the uneducated point of view?

I was actually shocked after all the comments I've read here to actually see it. We can pick apart the fact that the chick in the backyard was bagging without making a mask seal, that the kid gave three shots of nitro, that some of us would or wouldn't actually work a trauma COR or afterwards be fucked up by it, but all in all it appeared that they tried, from the outside looking in, to present EMS as having an overworked, kind, decent spirit...and for me that's a good thing. Let's watch what they do with the macro impressions and work backwards from there to the micro and see if that isn't a better approach?

I look forward to seeing how the show progresses.

Dwayne

• Like 3

I hadn't seen the show before, so I asked Babs to record it for me. She said, "I watched a little bit of it..I think you're going to hate it." But you know what? I didn't. Did I see a lot of inaccuracies? Sure, but I see just as many in House, and I love that show.

Why didn't I hate it?

The folks were dressed decent and were actually able to to speak in full sentences.

It showed the fact that some of EMSers believe that intelligence is held in higher esteem than bravado. The pilot guys is all screwed up, and we see those folks, but he's also a cowboy (guessing from peoples' comments towards him) and for a change no one was in awe of the 'cowboy' but held him in disdain.

They showed an inexperienced provider, I don't know if he's a new medic or basic, screw up, and actually explained that that is part of EMS. He had to make some decisions, as he'd asked for help and been told to "deal with it", made some poor decisions when he had to, without guidance, and now has to live with it. Often we (at least me) have to make decisions and hope that they are the right ones. Most times they are, sometimes they aren't, but the possibility of really screwing the pooch is there. Can I say it was a bad idea to split the crew from the allergic reaction and the chest pain guy? Sure, I would have managed them both on the lawn. But then the kid wouldn't have been alone, wouldn't have screwed up, and the point wouldn't have been made.

They gave us, as professional providers, plenty to bitch about, but I think they also made some effort to give us some things to like if we look for them. Do kids believe that all firemen are heros because they've watched a lifetime of shows that explain the exact angle of attack for a fire? Or because they've watched years of them spending half an hour defining the optimum number of personnel and equipment necessary to fight a structure fire before running in to save the baby? No man, they showed them doing a bunch of nerve wracking, exciting stuff. You all seem to want EMS explained to the masses in these shows. How about being happy that they were presented in professional, intelligent manner when viewed from the uneducated point of view?

I was actually shocked after all the comments I've read here to actually see it. We can pick apart the fact that the chick in the backyard was bagging without making a mask seal, that the kid gave three shots of nitro, that some of us would or wouldn't actually work a trauma COR or afterwards be fucked up by it, but all in all it appeared that they tried, from the outside looking in, to present EMS as having an overworked, kind, decent spirit...and for me that's a good thing. Let's watch what they do with the macro impressions and work backwards from there to the micro and see if that isn't a better approach?

I look forward to seeing how the show progresses.

Dwayne

Yep. I have watched from the beginning and I think it is fairly entertaining. Inaccurate, sure, but entertaining. If it were true to life, it would be unbelievably boring all season, except for the one off exciting call..Entertainment for the masses is what you get. You want documentaries, get your camera out... :rolleyes: If I remember correctly, the show 'Paramedics' was real calls all rolled into a show, and was less than stimulating, and full of very bad medicine.

I have only seen one or two Emergency episodes, and barely made it through them...but for some reason that show is held in high regard..for accuracy?? certainly not entertainment value IMHO..

I say it is what it is...like it or not, you dont have to watch it. I would imagine a lot of current providers could be picked apart as the show is (and has been), and they are seriously impacting lives in the real world...seriously. :whistle:

I haven't figured out if the bashing is entertaining or not. Watching the show with your textbook to highlight errors is certainly something; if not entertaining. Prime time shows will never be true to life, but this is at least close in some stereotypes...

I say lighten up. There are too many important things to try to change or worry about.... :whistle:

-Opinion

(disclaimer: the word "You" is used as a generalization and not meant towards any one in particular)

A possible reason "Emergency!" was, and by some, is, held in such high esteem, is that what they showed the then new concept of emergency prehospital Para-Medicine care and transport, had one basic story line per episode (example: Fire Fighter Chet trying to get a good action shot of the Station 51 personnel working a rescue, only to have the photo showing the action including him in the shot, showing that he couldn't have taken the picture, or due to a bunch of calls arriving without allowing them time to remove a picture of a chief from the house watch room clock, only to find a note from the chief on their return saying the clock was fast), with a bunch of sometimes dramatic, sometimes comedic, interaction between the characters, and had only one major medical, fire, or rescue element per episode, admittedly with a overabundance of saves as opposed to real life unsuccessful saves. Also, the show was well written.

You all seem to want EMS explained to the masses in these shows. How about being happy that they were presented in professional, intelligent manner when viewed from the uneducated point of view?

THANK YOU DWAYNE!! I agree 100%. I tried to say the same thing in the last thread and I guess I put it less delicately than you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.