EMT Employment- First interview!

Meghan Shannon

So, I passed my exam last month, and this time last year I was just starting school!

I am fortunate that I have an interview so soon.(Tuesday) Any advice on things to say/do during my interview that might win me this EMT-I position?

1) I know i need to discuss how eager I am to learn..)

2)This seems silly but I want to mention my experience with veterinary medicine (5 yrs) and working in triage and anesthesia. (I was thinking about vitals and working with non-responsive patients.)

Any tips would be appreciated!

xoxo

Meghan

• Like 1

Hey there,

congrats on getting an interview couple of points to take in mind here

1. Dress professional - being a female this doesn't mean a dress, but dress pants and a nice shirt/sweater that look professional (ie business attire) is good - a suit on a female typically is a bit much in my experience. By all means pants should be clean and well pressed looking crisp as well as shirt. Make sure your hair is tidy and not hanging in your face if you have certain cuts - down is okay as long as simple, but ponytails are best saved for another day.

2. Save the slang for another day. Yeah, yep, or the like are considered unprofessional and immature. Just don't use them.

3. Bring along a copy of your resume for the interviewer to relate to. Often they don't have a hard copy in front of them, and it looks responsible if you have one prepared for them to refer to. You can always keep it should they not need it. Carry in a black/brown/navy folder that's subtle.

4. DO YOUR HOMEWORK - find out something about the company before you go in there. Often, one of the first questions I've been asked is what do you know about our company and why do you want to work here? Obviously, if they cater to the transport environment and you want to work 911, it's not a good fit and they won't hire you. Also, don't be afraid to find out what areas they cover, and why you want to cater to that area - is it because you want to take care of your community? because you desire to work in urban ems? or rural ems? Is it because they have an excellent reputation for caring for their employees? If they have won awards recently (last 2 years)- helps to mention them shows that you have done your homework.

5. I'd leave the vet experience out of things. They really aren't concerned with the fact you can restrain a pissed off kitten or properly anesthetize a dog - those aren't skills you'll be using in the field. Other than the fact you may be comfortable with a few of the medications and medical terminology, it doesn't pertain much to the field. BUT - if you have human experience or even child care experience something like that, then that's a good thing to accent. Also, if you finished with an excellent score in your class or were top of it, whatever, that can be to your benefit to relay. In addition, if you are wanting to actively pursue your medic and have taken anatomy/physiology or other classes pertinent to EMS those are good to highlight.

6. Always have a couple questions prepared to ask at the end of the interview - you don't want to look stupid by saying nope, I think you've covered it. Don't be afraid to ask about continuing education, education benefits, etc. You want to look like you could apply anywhere and be considered a valuable asset. Be eager, but listen closely.

7. ALWAYS thank them for their time, then ask for a card if you have additional questions. Send a thank you via e-mail as soon as you get home highlighting why you are the person for the job. Little things like that stand out and makes you stand out a little more. If you don't hear anything back, follow up with them every week until they tell you the position is filled. Keep in touch, but always be polite. Also - just another note - make sure your car is clean (I've had them say later that was something they noticed was my car was clean and they knew I'd keep the truck clean) and that you're polite to everybody. Alot of places will use someone else or other employees to screen how you interact with the crew. Don't be suprised if they have you wait for a bit just to see your interaction with them - I promise they'll likely ask them later what they thought and you want that impression to be good !

8. Last thing to note - be sure your facebook/myspace/twitter etc are clean and pics are something that would be professionally accepted. Yes employers do scope out potential employees ! Been done many times.

Finally, Good luck ! I hope you have good success and look forward to hearing how it went for you !

Edited by fireflymedic
  • Like 1

Congrats on passing your exams.

When you go for your interview: Dress nice ,business attire but not looking like a secretary.

Don't wear perfume or lots of hair spray [ strong odors are offensive to many patients] & partners No big shiny jewelry, tats or piercing's covered or removed

Be prepared to go over your education and testing scores.

Have copies of all certifications and licenses EMS, Drivers if asked for.

Have a set of work clothes in your car to change into if asked to do skills testing [ stretcher lifts, stair chair carries]

Have a list of questions you want to ask the interviewer [ type of shifts, benefits offered, starting pay, uniforms provided?]

Be confident

RELAX & SMILE

GOOD luck !

Everyone's got it covered I think- that's exactly what I have done when interviewing and I have been very successful in landing positions. The only thing I can add is my favorite question to ask a prospective employer: "Why do you enjoy working here?"

If they can't give you a well thought out answer that seems genuine, no matter how good everything else might seem, you may want to look into applying somewhere else. The person interviewing you should be someone who is motivated and happy within the company- if they can't tell you why they like working there, then there's probably issues that you don't want to end up in the middle of. It also gives you some insight into what it's like to work your way up through the ranks if they can give you a good answer!!

Best of luck to you!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Great advice from everyone.

Here is a site that I have found some what useful for guidance in interviewing.

http://www.firecareerassist.com/html/firefighter_ems_interview.htm

Most of all, stay calm. Try your best not to look nervous. I always suggest to students in the field who are on the job or even interviewing for a job, to "act like a duck". No, I don't mean quack or waddle around. I mean, act all calm on the outside, what they can see. But underwater, kicking like crazy.

You can ask questions too! Wait until they are done, and ask them some things, even if you know the answer already. It shows them you were listening and taking things seriously.

Bring a brief case or a fancy looking shoulder bag with you. Put a resume in there and any other certifications (copies of) you may have. Show them you came prepared.

edit: forgot something. Don't overdue it with perfume or hairspray. Anything that would turn them off by an overwhelming smell. Also, fresh breath helps too. Coffee/cigarette breath.. yea, nasty! :)

Good luck!

Edited by FireMedic65

Here is one important thing I ALWAYS do prior to an interview.

Drive the route a few days BEFORE you are scheduled and drive it at the same time you would be on interview day.

This way, you are familiar with the location, the traffic and can prepare for any potential detours or backups.

Also, time yourself. Once you know how long it takes to get there with average traffic, you can now add extra time to that and give yourself a window. I rather sit in a parking lot for a half hour as opposed to explaining why I am late for an interview. Plus, I always have to use the bathroom before an interview, so I seek out one of those as well.

By doing these steps, you will be relaxed, you will not appear as you just rushed in, cause you will have been sitting in your car listening to music or reading a book and just relaxing....

Everyone has excellent advice for you!

I would like to add my two cents.

Try to be prepared for the introductory "Tell me about yourself.." Know what you are going to say without rambling for 20 minutes. Cover a quick educational and experience history, and why you are interested in EMS.

Expect behavioral type questions. More and more employers are going to this format of interview, and it can be quite hard if you are unprepared for it. I have been both the interviewer, and the candidate in these types of interviews, and they can catch you off guard.

I found a link to cover some of the basics of behavioral interviews for you:

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Management/Innovative-Interviewing-Techniques/3$11664

Be polite, smile, and try not to show how nervous you are! Best of luck in this interview - wish you well!

Annie

Good luck. I think that clean car means clean ambulance is off. I have a super clean, orginized and stocked truck but my pov is far from it.

I have to disagree there - if someone that I knew nothing about was showing up for an interview and their car was trashed, it gives me a good clue that they don't value cleanliness and well chances are (not always, but oftentimes) they won't be too concerned with keeping the station or their truck up to the standards I expect. All things considered equal, I'll take the one with the clean car over the dirty one (though to note - shoving everything in the trunk is acceptable lol !)

4. DO YOUR HOMEWORK - find out something about the company before you go in there.

If she does that, she'll know better than to go to work there. ;)

If she did her homework before now, she'd have known better than to get into EMS altogether. :D

I don't believe there is necessarily a correlation between how you keep your car/home, and how you keep up your ambulance/office. With me there certainly isn't. But the fact remains that many employers will indeed make that correlation, rightly or wrongly, so it's in your benefit to play along.