My path has been decided for me

Lisa O

I have been going back and forth between schools, people, and with myself as to what to do. I found out that CCSF has two options, either a straight Cert. for Paramedic, or where you can earn an Assoc. of Science for Paramedic studies. I called today, and finally go ahold of someone at CCSF (actual program head honcho for the Paramedic dept.) and found out that the Paramedic program is infact full, and not accepting applications for two years. thumbsdown.gif I knew this program was good, but damn!! lol Plus, she really strongly suggests, recommends, etc., to be a working EMT, or have worked as an EMT for atleast 6 months.

Sooooooo I am going to start much sooner then I expected, like in 3 weeks rather then 6 months. I will earn my Assoc. of Science degree here at the school I am closer to. Then next year during the summer, I will get my EMT-B taken care of, and finish up my degree. Then I can have another summer off school, or atleast time off, and work as a basic. Crossing fingers that by then, they will be open, and testing, and I can get into the Paramedic there, combine the two, and earn my Major in Paramedicine. thumbsup.gif To even get your foot into the door for CCSF you have to be almost invited, and have atleast two letters of recommendation to be allowed to test!

I am going to bust my ass to make this happen and work. Plus, she said that it will bump up my pay bracket! icecream.gif

And so, it has been decided..lol

So you're not even in EMS yet?

• Like 1

That's pretty much the same thing I'm going to do. I can't wait to start school it sounds like so much fun. Well anyways I hope you pass all your tests and classes good luck!!!

thumbsup.gif

Thank you. I just really need to learn to not want it now now now for once in my life! I think I am finally growing up and seeing the bigger picture.

• Like 1

That's awesome im really happy for you.

And congrats for Making up your mind now go and give it 110%:D

x2! Keep up that attitude, and stay around this forum, and you won't have any problem getting letters of recommendation.

Yeah girl...you rock!

I get frustrated sometimes with the 'I don't need to be smart to ride in an ambulance!" crowd. But every time I'm about to throw in the towel someone comes along that I know will be so good, so smart, so dedicated....it just makes all the rest of the nonsense worth the effort.

Without many of these people in my corner (Dust and ak held my hand through the whole ride as they continue to do now) I would be 1/3 the medic I am now, though what I am now isn't necessarily anything to brag about. :-) Every time I got exhausted, felt that I was simply too stupid to make the grade, wanted to quit, I came here and was gifted with a second wind...and a third if that's what I needed.

Use these guys and you will be a rock star!

Good luck Lisa...

Dwayne

I get frustrated sometimes with the 'I don't need to be smart to ride in an ambulance!" crowd.

The thing is Dwayne, the way this "profession" currently stands, you really don't have to be very smart. Limited scope of practice, minimal educational standards etc. and very little required in the way of actual medicine makes a strong back and a thick skin way more important than smarts.

• Like 1

The thing is Dwayne, the way this "profession" currently stands, you really don't have to be very smart. Limited scope of practice, minimal educational standards etc. and very little required in the way of actual medicine makes a strong back and a thick skin way more important than smarts.

That's an excellent, albeit sad point. It's the pervasive culture in EMS right now. When people join a new crowd or profession, they want to fit in. To fit in these days, mediocrity and apathy are key. Few dare to be different. Those that do are often isolated and ridiculed. It's damn difficult to change the culture one person at a time. But so long as the firemonkeys and vollies maintain their stranglehold on the political powers, that's really our only option. They will never allow EMS to become a respectable profession, where one can proudly practise excellence.

• Like 2

So I am wondering: If you don't think you are very smart, why are you doing it? You are basically denigrating your own peers, your own profession. I am sure your local peers would appreciate hearing what you think of them. Nice team mate.