A&P class even before EMT-B class?

Lisa O

I have seen on here in a few posts how important A & P classes are for Paramedic classes. I have lots of time on my hands between now, and when I start my EMT-B classes. The local adult ed offers an 8 week basic A & P class for $89.00 (text book $60). Would that be something smart to take prior to EMT / will it help there? Or, is it too soon to worry about it? Its offered in March, ends in May and is about 2 miles down the road. Part of me is thinking that is a great jump ahead of everyone else. But, another wonders if its overkill for EMT class and something to not even worry about, yet...

I have seen on here in a few posts how important A & P classes are for Paramedic classes. I have lots of time on my hands between now, and when I start my EMT-B classes. The local adult ed offers an 8 week basic A & P class for $89.00 (text book $60). Would that be something smart to take prior to EMT / will it help there? Or, is it too soon to worry about it? Its offered in March, ends in May and is about 2 miles down the road. Part of me is thinking that is a great jump ahead of everyone else. But, another wonders if its overkill for EMT class and something to not even worry about, yet...

from what ive been told yes

from what ive been told yes

Reading your thread is what made me ask.. :) But I have a tendency to try and do it all at once. I am trying to be smart about this, and dont want to waste time, or overwhelm myself...

A full on college level A/P course (or separate anatomy and physiology courses depending on how it's organized) would be better, however anything is better than nothing. It's also much better to take foundation courses (like anatomy and physiology) before you take the more applied courses (like EMT-B). Similarly, if you take a full on A/P sequence, it isn't like the information expires because you took it before EMT-B and not between EMT-B and EMT-P courses.

Reading your thread is what made me ask.. :) But I have a tendency to try and do it all at once. I am trying to be smart about this, and dont want to waste time, or overwhelm myself...

yeah i wish i found these places befor i signed up for my classes im pretty much going into this blind lol but if u have the chance to take the A&P do it i would will help u in emtb forsure

A full on college level A/P course (or separate anatomy and physiology courses depending on how it's organized) would be better, however anything is better than nothing. It's also much better to take foundation courses (like anatomy and physiology) before you take the more applied courses (like EMT-cool.gif. Similarly, if you take a full on A/P sequence, it isn't like the information expires because you took it before EMT-B and not between EMT-B and EMT-P courses.

I am looking into the local Jr. College class that offers BioScience entry level, 3 units, January through May. Iv'e got the time, so why not..lol YAY!! Now I just need to find an A&P for Dummies book..lol

Now I just need to find an A&P for Dummies book..lol

OMG they make one! Ha, I was just kiddingthumbsup.gif

Also, if you feel like reviewing after you take the course, look into either the Lippincott's Illustrated Review books or the Board Review Series (BRS) books. These aren't good for your first trip through the material, but these are two of the books commonly used by medical students for board exam prep (hence one series being called Board Review Series).

Go for it. More knowledge is never a bad thing. And a basic A&P course is not overkill for EMT school, even if it is redundant text from HS class...repetition and reinforcement are important keys in learning. And look at it this way: which EMT would you rather have for a partner/provider, the one with or without that extra "where it is, and what it does" knowledge? biggrin.gif

You will be at least TWICE as good an EMT with A&P ahead of time as you would have been without it. AT LEAST TWICE as good!

You do not get the same exponential benefit by taking it after the fact.

Taking an EMT course without the basics first is like building a house without pouring the foundation first. Even if you go back and do it later, it is never as good as if you had done it right the first time.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.