A&P class even before EMT-B class?

Lisa O

I agree with JPINFV. If at all possible, you need to take a dedicated for college level course in A&P. The traditional approach would include a full year or two semesters. In addition, each semester should include a lab. I understand a quarter system exists; however, the standard should be a course of study similar to what I described above. I am not a big fan of these eight week basic courses simply because the material is covered at such a basic level with gaps and even information that is watered down to the point of potentially hindering, I would not recommend such a route if other options exist.

In addition, while some would argue, I honestly think taking a semester or more of chemistry prior to the A&P would be even more helpful. Understanding common concepts such as how molecules are formed, protein structure, chemical bonds such as the ubiquitous hydrogen bonding and many other concepts will ensure you do well in A&P. Unfortunately, I took A&P without the benefit of chemistry and much of the physiology became an exercise in memorizing pathways and words without any real understanding of the core concepts. Of course, to do well in chemistry, you also need to be comfortable with your math skills. You will also find the many dimensional analysis questions you solve in chemistry will be very helpful when it comes to medication calculations.

Take care,

chbare.

You will be at least TWICE as good an EMT with A&P ahead of time as you would have been without it.

I think JPINFV adds validity to the core concept of your statement. While he was a EMT-B, he was able to discuss complex topics with ease. Of course, now that he is a medical student, he doesn't shyte. :lol:

Take care,

chbare.

Agreed on the chemistry recommendation. The first week or so of A&P is the goddamn Krebs Cycle, and other molecular processes that will leave you scratching your head if you don't understand basic chemical structure.

Agreed on the chemistry recommendation. The first week or so of A&P is the goddamn Krebs Cycle, and other molecular processes that will leave you scratching your head if you don't understand basic chemical structure.

I've never been in a physiology course that has covered Krebs/glycolsis/glycogensis/glycogenolysis/pentose phosphate shunt/etc. Those subjects have always been covered in biochem.

I've never been in a physiology course that has covered Krebs/glycolsis/glycogensis/glycogenolysis/pentose phosphate shunt/etc. Those subjects have always been covered in biochem.

Strange? The first few weeks of my A&P 1 course consisted of a chemistry overview, a review of the common pathways, and the basics of cellular structure and function. In fact a rather popular A&P text book, the Marieb series covers this very material in the beginning chapters. However, it was not until microbiology/molecular biology that the pathways were covered in greater detail.

Take care,

chbare.

You will be at least TWICE as good an EMT with A&P ahead of time as you would have been without it. AT LEAST TWICE as good!

You do not get the same exponential benefit by taking it after the fact.

Taking an EMT course without the basics first is like building a house without pouring the foundation first. Even if you go back and do it later, it is never as good as if you had done it right the first time.

way to kill my confidence :(

A&P will definitely be of help. The anatomy portion is rote memorization, but the physiology will provide you with wonderful knowledge that will help you to understand a lot more of what you will be learning in your EMT class. If you can dedicate the time, I'd say go for it!

Here is the info on the JR. College class:

*Would chem help me with this? It seems pretty straight forward

Health Biology/ Biosc 005

3 hours lecture, 1 hour lab; 3 Units; No Prerequisites

(Formerly BIOSC 5S) This is an introductory course that covers the biological concepts and principles underlying human health and fitness. The course content includes the basic functions of the human cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, digestive, immune, and reproductive systems, and the effects of diet, exercise, certain drugs, and stress on these systems. The course includes up-to-date information on biological and medical discoveries related to human health. Issues related to mental health, addiction, and sexually transmitted diseases will also be emphasized. Hands-on mini-lab assignments will serve to demonstrate the alive, exciting concepts. This course meets the General Education Graduation Requirement for Health. May not be repeated.

Requirements Satisfied By This Course:

LMC: GE: Biological Sciences; GCR: Health Education; DA

Transfer: UC, CSU Gen. Ed. Area E1

Lead Instructor: Mark Lewis

Current Required Text(s):Core Concepts in Health, 11th edition, Insel and Roth ISBN 978-0-07-338077-3 (older editions can be used, but it will be the student’s responsibility to find the correct page numbers).

Other Required Materials/Supplies: Bio 5 Lab Syllabus by Lewis

Estimated Total Course Cost (including texts and supplies, but not transportation or parking):

About $150.00 per semester

Here is the info on the JR. College class:

*Would chem help me with this? It seems pretty straight forward

Health Biology/ Biosc 005

3 hours lecture, 1 hour lab; 3 Units; No Prerequisites

Crap.. Now that doesnt seem right.. Which one of these is the right class??

http://www.losmedanos.edu/Groups/science/default.asp

Looks to be a health class with some basic biology thrown in. While not necessarily a bad thing, this is not a dedicated anatomy and physiology course. Look for courses called: human anatomy and physiology, human zoology, or similar course title. If you are looking at a biology course, look for: human or vertebrate biology courses.

EDIT: I would suggest Bio 45 for the A&P; however, I am not sure it would transfer over as a year of A&P if you ever want to look at a nursing or allied health degree at another school.

Take care,

chbare.

Edited by chbare

That course sounds introductory in nature, which is better than the ten pages of A&P in your basic EMT textbook however may not be as in-depth as A&P I and II.

My A&P course was a component of the Bachelor of Nursing (BN) and covered all body systems plus ECG, ABG, basic biochemistry etc over 13 weeks.

If you could find something like that it'd be fab.

I also recommend Marieb 8e A&P from Pearson-Benjamin Cummings; we used that textbook and it's just absolutely fab the DVD and online materials are great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.